Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coryf_gw

did i kill my new plumie?

coryf
9 years ago

I bought a new plumeria from home depot about a week ago and I noticed some rust spots shortly after bringing it home. I got some bad information to spray the leaves with diluted vinegar instead of the garden safe fungicide 3 I bought, I was told the vinegar was safer and the fungicide was known to burn leaves. I sprayed the plumeria this morning believing what I was told, but I wanted to see how often I should spray, and then I saw you should NEVER get vinegar on your plants - unless you want to KILL them. I did wipe off all excess liquid right after I sprayed, but did I just kill my plant?

Comments (13)

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, would I see the damage quickly or would it be days or weeks before the plant starts to die? I really hope it wasn't enough to do that much damage.

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what the foliage looks like about 4 hours after spray. The rips and other damage were on the leaves when I bought it, I just haven't pruned.

• jandey1
    9 years ago

Not sure about the vinegar killing your plant, but it seems fine so far. I wouldn't do it again, though.

How is the plant now?

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It seems okay, two new leaves have grown, but it seems to have stalled. Also, some strange markings have appeared recently and it dropped three leaves. The leaves were damaged when I bought it, so I'm happy they shed. I'm going to try to get a good picture of these scratches and the baby leaf that seems to have stopped growing, I hope someone has seen the markings before, preferably not on a dying plant. I'm sorry the pic is dark, I'll try to upload better ones.

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pictures

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more of the scratches

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The vinegar did clean the leaves, but the rust came back. Should I try the garden safe fungicide 3 that I bought? Should I just leave it alone?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Looks good to me!!!!

Those are " stretch marks" from the stem growing. Nothing to worry about :-)

As far as the rust, you could take a Q Tip and dab it with the Bayer 3 in 1 or rubbing alcohol ( what you have there should work too) You might see leaf drop after spraying, but don't worry. Anytime you mess with the orange rust you can see those spores blow around in the air. The rust shouldn't become a real problem unless you are misting or you have a moist , humid house. It will probably start shedding its leaves for the dormant period anyway. We also cut back on water too!! If the rust is real bad, I would carefully cut the infected leaves and throw them away in the outside trash cans..

I'm glad you didn't see any reactions to the vinegar. I wouldn't spray again with that either.

Looks nice and healthy, so you are doing a great job!!

Have a great day!!!

Laura

• coryf
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Laura, my heart was breaking thinking that in my effort to care for my plant I might have actually killed it. I have loved plumeria since my husband brought home a seemingly dead branch that had been in the bed of his friend's truck for two months. We stuck it in a watering can and forgot about for another two months or so, and when I finally did check on it, it had roots, and a lot of them. I haven't been able to do that again, killed every one I've tried to grow since, so really being obsessive about this one.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

I'm not sure where you live, but if you are in southern Cali or Florida and have your trees outside, keep them shaded after you spray. Keep them away from the sun for a few days so they won't burn. ( Shade or under an eave) If they are inside keep away from children when you spray and in a well ventilated area. If possible. . :)

Happy holidays!!!

Laura

• Andrea W
    8 months ago

I also need help with my plumeria... i have these spots on the leaves, and the leaves keep dropping off. i did some research and believe these are "scale insects"..???? What is the best home remedy for my plant, which sits in a pot on my apt balcony.

• Andrea W
    8 months ago

• Andrea W
    8 months ago