Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new cuttings

Posted by ploomer zone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 15:42

what do I do with cuttings during the winter months?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new cuttings

They will likely 'store' for a while, but maybe not until spring.

What I would do would be to try rooting them with bottom heat.

I'm doing that with about 12 cuttings in a bucket, with a heating seed starter mat at the bottom. I will post pictures of this sometime. The cuttings are sitting upright in the bucket, with their 'bottoms' in a bag of soil and perlite. The bag is laying on the mat. The entire bucket is then covered with a large, clear plastic bag to hold in humidity. Every week or so I mist the cuttings with a spray bottle and reseal the bag again.

So far I'm seeing a lot of new leaf growth. I've not had a chance yet to see if roots are forming yet, but I could easily pull up individual cuttings when I want to check.

With heat and humidity you should have no problem rooting in the wintertime.

Oh, these are also under flourescent lights.

o

I have stored cutting for over six months and had no problem starting them. Properly cut, leaves quickly removed and stored in cool there is very little moisture loss. Even stalks that get wrinkled will usually puff up in warm water in the spring.

o

I have one cutting in a soiless mixture by a south facing window in my house. I have several in a plastic shopping bag in a drawer in my house also. Too warm? Should I keep them out side? Bob

o

Bob. Plastic holds too much moisture can cause fungus to grow. a paper grocery sack is better. Heated homes are a bit dry and warm but a cool not freezing garage or closet is better. If you are growing in a window, pick up a seed mat which greatly increases root growth as the soil needs to be very warm. I sometimes water root on a seed mat and then move to soil when roots show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here