Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drewcarb

spider mites? cold burns?

drewcarb
15 years ago

Check out my photos. Do I have spider mites? and... what's happening to my leaves? I brought this one in, but it was out for a couple of very cold nights. About a week later, a few established leaves started getting black spots, and even a couple of new leaves are coming in with black marks. What's going on? Do I have to do anything or just ride it out? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

{{gwi:1228025}}

BURNT LEAVES?

{{gwi:1228027}}

{{gwi:1228028}}

{{gwi:1228029}}

{{gwi:1228030}}

SPIDER MITES?

{{gwi:1228031}}

SPIDER MITES

{{gwi:1228032}}

SPIDER MITES?

Comments (15)

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi Randy,
    No, don't ride this one out.. You have some kind of bugs on your plants, have to be taken care of. Not sure what..don't put your plant next to another one.. Someone will come in and give you advise..sorry about this one.

Karen B

• drewcarb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen. Hopefully some one in here has a solution.

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi,
    If I had bugs like you do.. I would get a schultz 3 in one and spray on the leaves and kill them before it takes over your plants. What I would do.. but sure someone else has a different idea.. so posting this message will bring you up to the top for discussion. but are you in green house or outside? makes a difference.

Karen B

• drewcarb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Karen. I brought 2 in the house for the Winter, and I have 1 in the garage. After closer inspection I did find what I think are spider mites - very small red spiders. I read a bunch of different information all over the internet and decided on using olive oil. I hope it remedies the problem.

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi,
    good luck, I don't know anything about using olive oil.. wish I could help more..sure someone will come in and give you advise. I saw another question on the board, what you have also almost looks like white flies..the larve. I don't know how to help here. would think washing them off and the maybe a reduced soap wash would help.
    Karen B

• greekman
    15 years ago

Hi kbauman,
    I use for many years, home remedies for control of mites and other insects.

One of those remedies, is olive oil or machine car oil + garlic cloves + dish soap + water, with very good results.
    I don't use any chemical.
    Specially last year I used that formula on all of mine plumeria seedlings and I did n't have any mite problem.

If you are interesting I can send you more informations (dose of each etc) and for others home made remedies.

John
    from Athens-Greece

• drewcarb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi John,

I am interested in more information regarding your home remedies. Please post!

Sas efharisto poli,

Andy

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi John,
    Absolutely please post your home remidies. Sure everyone would be intersted. I did not know about olive oil.. Machine oil..ok.. ha

also tell how you use the remedies, spray, diluted..etc. anything for black spot? thanks
    Karen B

• greekman
    15 years ago

Parakalo (your welcome) Amdy.

A)In a cup cut in small pieces 3 cloves of garlic and add 2 table spoons olive oil or (is better) machine car oil -cover the cup and leave it for 24 hours.
    After 24 hours strain the solution in your sprayer bottle - add 2 table spoon of dish soap and 2/3 of a galon water (not cold if it is winter), shake well the bottle and spray both sides of your plumeria leaves (early morning before the sun is on the top of your plants)spray also lightly the top of the soil.

Repeat the same formula after 10 days for the new generation from eggs mites.

Next day of using the above mentioned formula, clean the leaves of your plants by spraying them with water.

Also is very important to Sow in each pot 1-2 garlic cloves, the plant of garlic keeps away any dangerous insect from your plants.

B. Add 1 teaspoon of dog shampoo with pyrethrin with 1/3 gallon of water in your sprayer bottle and spray the leaves of your plumerias on both sides, it kill all the mites.

C.A home remedy fungicide :
    1 part of fresh full milk (not for slim) with 9 parts of water in your sprayer bottle and spray the leaves.
    That is a fungicide formula and also shine the leaves of your plants.

D. a home remedy for maggot - worms in your pot soil :
    throw on the top of the soil of each pot 1 table spoon hot mustard in powder and water your pot, OR if you have ready to use hot mustard add 1 table spoon in 1/3 gallon of water and water your pot.

E.For Ants :
    Add in a 1/3 of gallon of water 1 table spoon vinegar and water your pot.
    Vinegar also has very useful trace elements for the plants and also reduce the soil PH.

John
    from Athens-Greece

• drewcarb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

John,

Wow! Tons of information, thanks. I will print this and keep it. I hope others come in and take note as well.

Andy

• greekman
    15 years ago

Hi Karen B,
    if I understood well (sorry because my English is n't at high level), you speak about Black Tip Fungus.

If your plumerias are in poys is much easier to control Black Tip Fungus

1.You can use the C with milk formula only at morning.
    2.Don't spray with water the leaves and the top of the plant.
    3.Minimize watering of the pot and water the pot only at morning time.
    4.Put your plant in your home or at a dry and hot place with temperature more thank 60f ( specially at winter time)a lamp over the plant for 14 hours per day.
    5. If is summer time, change the place of the pot and put the pot under the sun as much as possible and protect the plant from rains.

Many times I use also blue surgical spirit (alcohol-ethanol 90%) on the black tip.

Never forget that : low humidity-high temperature-full sun-lightly watering and only if the soil is dry, protect plumeria plants from Black Tip Fungus.

I lost 3 plumeria plants in pots 20 year old, when I was in holiday, from overwatering, so I start from seeds to grow plumeria seedlings and thanks to many people from USA (Robert Walsh-Richard Samples-Paula Furtwangler and many others and from plumeria forums ) I got many useful informations about plumeria growing, so I must to thanks once more those people and without their help I don't think to be in a position to grow successfuly plumeria seedlings.

John
    from Athens-Greece

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi John,
    thank you so so very much for all this information, most appreciated. I too am printing for my files. "your English is great!!!"

Now on the black spot and tip damage. I have a singapore which is in a 7 gallon pot, about 5' tall and wide. Last year got major tip damage, that oozed like you cannot believe. I got it under control. This year with like 10 new branches, had it outside covered, not too much tip damage but black spot on the leaves! I did have my neighbor bring it into my house. I cut many of the leaves off, not to spread, and put cinnamon on a lot of the problems..hear that too is a fungacide that will help. Any other advise on trying to grow this one..impossible it seems.
    Karen B

• greekman
    15 years ago

Karen,
    I know about cinnamon powder, yes it is a fungicide specially after pruning the roots of a plant, I clean the cutted area with alcohol (90%) and I put on those cinnamon powder (but only to the cutted not to the others roots) to avoid root fungus.

I don't have experience using on Black Tip Fungus cinnamon powder, but I think will help fist to clean the area with alcohol and immediately spread cinnamon powder.

Finally about a plumeria not growing after our effort, is better at end of winter, after drying the soil put out the plant of the pot, let the root ball to dry out, throw out the soil, check and prune the roots and repot the plant in a new soil (cactus mix 50% and 25% pumice + 25% perlite) fertilize with an WATER SOLUBLE fertilizer (I never use fertilizer pellets in my pots) 20-20-20 or for growing is better with a fertilizer high in Nitrogen (is the fist of the three nubers), at half of the suggested doze.
    I use also, Fish emulsion- Seaweed-Magnesium Sulfate (epson salt)
    best regards
    John

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Looks like whitefly to me.

• kbauman
    15 years ago

Hi John,
    On singapore, its about 5 ft high and that wide. I have it now in my studio in a pot, where I paint. I hope I caught it before it went into total black spot fungus. I have cut off several leaves not to touch each other and now at this moment, just have cinnamon on it. I will watch it to see if the black spot starts up any other place. Hope that the warm temps in the house stop the fungus. If so, will have to take it outside, a big 7 gallon plant and I will spray it with fungside..to stop it and kill it.. will see.
    Karen B

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm