Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rox146

what to do with cuttings at wrong time of the year....

rox146
9 years ago

I have been given cuttings at the wrong time of the year and am doing what I was told to do with them last time. A few years back, Jean Thielmann told me of the baggy with barely damp peat moss method. Then you put them in a warm dark place and forget about them. Last time it took about 3 months but what a nice surprise when I remembered where they were... :-) My sunroom is where they are this time instead of a closet as the 1 of Kauka Wilder is way too big for a closet. roxanne

Comments (15)

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so, here is the dark room and it is very warm out there. Keep you posted in a few months. roxanne

• plumerias_lover
    9 years ago

Hi Roxanne,

My friends came back from Hawaii with five cuttings for me. I tossed two of them and did the "baggy" for the rest. It's my first time to do the baggy. I put them outside in the day time and bring them into the house at night. I didn't know that I should have put them in the dark room likes yours. I just bagged them, last Monday, with pumice mixed with perlite, peat moss, and some soil. I had no idea what I'm doing. Thanks for the information!

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

took a peek today under the dark cloth. No roots in the bag yet but the tips all look happy....

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Oh what a good idea! I have a few that the branches broke off of and I was thinking of rooting them up to send to my mom. I will try your method and see if it works. That way they will be ready to go for her in the spring.
    ~SJN

Last winter I had a big branch break off and I put it in the utility shed so it wouldn't freeze. It was underneath a window just propped up...no pot or anything lol. The crazy thing put up an inflo and flowered with no leaves -no roots- and no soil. LOL They are pretty tough little things.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

I have 3 cuttings that are bag rooting. All have just developed some massive roots, and one of them (Derrick's Shakas - or so I hope!) is also pushing 3 inflos (!!). I just stuck them all (bagged with coir/perlite mix) in a plastic bin on top of a bookcase in front of the heat vent. They love it and have no idea it's technically winter.

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cool....sounds great. What is the Shakas like?

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

This is the picture from Derrick's website -
    {{gwi:2130179}}

I know there have been labeling issues with Derrick's stuff, but it was a pretty inexpensive cutting, so I'm taking my chances. Three inflos hopefully means that I'll know if it's in the ballpark ( ... with winter light/temps and all.) It's hard to tell - he says it's "exclusive," which I'm interpreting as "seedling" or NOID, but who knows. I'm not complaining about its flowering habits, that's for sure.

I'll keep everyone updated. :)

• rox146
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is so beautiful...hoping for a great scent? Thanks for sharing.

• tunatony
    9 years ago

I'm rooting a two tip Shakas myself under grow lights and have leaves growing fairly strongly on both tips...good to hear about the early inflos...would certainly enjoy seeing your first flowers. Thanks so much for sharing. Right now, I have inflos developing on three others I'm rooting- Univ. of Hawaii Orange, Kauka Wilder and Grove Farm...and will post their first flowers.

• daogirl - SoCal Zone 9
    9 years ago

My Shakas tried to push out leaves like crazy while it was rooting! I kept cutting them off. I really didn't want to cut the inflos, though ... I think I lucked out that it rooted before it shriveled up.

• kiwilad55
    9 years ago

cuttings now flowering

• kiwilad55
    9 years ago

cuttings now flowering

• kiwilad55
    9 years ago

cuttings now flowering

• kiwilad55
    9 years ago

cuttings now flowering