Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kt2fl

are my plumeria plants rooting?

Kenny
12 years ago

Hi I recently got into growing plumeria and I'm new to the forum. I attempted to root cuttings in the last few months with no luck. The first and second cuttings I received from eBay rotted before I even got the chance to pot it in soil (just my luck). Well that's another story for another time.

Last month I bought a cutting from Maui Plumeria Gardens to give it another try. Since the weather has gotten colder I have moved my plumerias into a spare bedroom that I'm using as a storage in the winter. I have a grow light and a small space heater to keep the temperature in the 70s.

Just this week I notice some growths on the tips of the cuttings. I was wondering if any plumeria gurus on here can give me some confirmation that the rooting process has taken place and offer me some advice on what can I expect to see in the next few months. Are there anything I should do to ensure they'll be ready for the next growing season outside?

I got a bonus mystery cutting from MPG! Let's hope 3rd try's the charm!

{{gwi:1228159}}

Cuttings are now growing under a grow light in my storage room

{{gwi:1228160}}

Progress as of today (4 weeks along)

{{gwi:1228161}}

Close up of mystery cutting

{{gwi:1228162}}

Close up of Raspberry cutting

{{gwi:1228163}}

I'm really happy to see my plants growing as the winter blues have finally gotten to me. Temperature was in the 20s yesterday and 15F this morning.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    12 years ago

Its a hard time of year to root a cutting. Leave them alone until they have leaves (and that's going to be a while). Easier said than done but that's the best advice I can give.

Can you put them on a warming mat to warm the soil temp? Good luck. You could move them into clear soda bottles or my favorite, gatorade bottles. That way you can see if roots are forming.

• Kenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kms2, that's an excellent advice on using clear bottles, I will keep that in mind for my next rooting attempt! Yes I think the leaves are about to grow bigger on these tips. I've been leaving them alone since I potted them. I read somewhere that if the leaves are at least 6", then that means my cuttings have taken root? I will try to update their progress in a couple of weeks.

I don't have a warming mat yet but I might get one soon since I have plumeria seeds I'm trying to germinate as well. Do you know what kind/brand I should get for this purpose? Thank you so much for your advice!!!

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

k2fl,

Just a suggestion: eBay is an easy place to find heated seed mats for sale. No driving around town/surfing the 'net etc.

Good luck with your cuttings. Keep 'em dry, that's my 2 cents.

Greg

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi k2fl,
    I just wanted to let you know that I have 2 cuttings right now from 2 noid Black/Reds(I was told that they were Hilo Beauty by the seller but not 100% sure.) Anyhow, I have had them for about a year now. One of them started to root about 2 or 3 months ago. The other hasn't formed any roots but I suspect that it may have rooted now. I have both potted in clear plastic cups.

Patience is the only thing I can suggest. I have been growing plumeria for a few years now, and honestly, I have wuite enjoyed the fact that cuttings are such low maintenence. Just pot up, give them as much heat and light as possible and forget about them! Now my Black/Reds I did water every few months, but just enough to perk them back up after they started shriveling.

Andrew

• Kenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greg: Thank you so much! I'll be sure to look for them on ebay!

Andrew: Thanks for the advice! I agree with you that these cuttings are low maintenance. I've been keeping them dry and warm...9 months is quite a long time! I'm glad yours are finally rooting.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996