Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rooftopbklyn

row row row your boat (of seeds)

To amuse myself this winter (and hopefully beyond) I purchased some "dwarf siam yellow" seeds on Amazon, because they were the only dwarf seeds I could find anywhere. I have no real expectations about what will happen, if I get to watch a few plumeria develop for a year it will be worth it.

I went for the boat method, using a small piece of not-quite styrofoam but something that floats, and a solution with h2o2 and superthrive (small amounts of each - interested in any quantitative measurements for this - how much 3% h2o2/superthrive/water by volume do you use?).

No bottom heat, but under a light. Would bagging the whole shebang help at all, or does sitting in water make this superfluous? I try to keep humidity in the room at 50%.

Daniel

Comments (4)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

I have never done the "boat" method because just sticking the seeds in a good potting mix has always worked for me. I dont know why you would add the hydrogen peroxide.

Please dont take this as snarky but you do know that the seeds wont be true to the dwarf siam, right?
    Also if you are interested in more seeds there will be tons of them available here typically for just postage next spring. Ill have quite few available also.

Mike

• rooftopbklyn (zone 7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike, I do understand the seeds won't be true, I don't mind. I figure, more chance of a small tree with seeds from one than with seeds from a known-larger variety however.

H2O2's benefits for germination of seeds (not just plumeria) has been documented very well, both in this forum and in many other places including academic research - just Google. Certainly it's not a requirement, but I like to increase my chances when it's easy to do so.

The boat method I'm less sure about, but I've read enough people using it that I figured I'd try - after all, this is fun for me, I'm not farming plumeria for any other reason. Kind of like the whole "bury an egg" method of rooting a cutting, which sounds really strange to me but so many people swear by it and have great looking trees to show.

I have a few more of these seeds and may try potting some in media as well.

Yeah, my timing is bad for getting seeds just now, I'm aware. I do appreciate your insights though, and look forward to spring!

Daniel

• jandey1
    10 years ago

I started nearly all my seeds in late fall or winter, to give me something to fuss over while the plants went dormant. It is fun to watch them grow!

I also used H2O2 in my seed-starting water and had great germination rates. It's supposed to help keep down rot, I think.

• elucas101
    10 years ago

I agree, seeds are so fun! Good luck Daniel, please let us know how many you germinate.

Do you have a good sunny window for them or will you be using a grow light until the weather is warm enough to put them outside?

I'll have to figure out if I can manage any more seeds this year - *SIGH* - I have a lot of them on my plate but they are just SO DARN FUN!

Daniel, another really REALLY fun plant to grow from seed is Adenium (Desert Roses), have you heard of them? Super easy to germinate, grow really fast, take up little space and could even bloom the first year! (Dogbane family, related to Plumeria!)