Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

Plumeria pudica

tropicalzone7
14 years ago

Does anyone have experience with this one? It looks like a very very nice bloomer, even though the flowers have no scent, they are plentiful even at smaller heights. Some sites brag about this plumeria having the longest lasting bloom heads, and one of the most consistant blommers.

I saw one in the Carribean last summer, it wasnt too big, but had a ton of flower heads on it. I bought one on ebay, and will be getting it soon. Does anyone have any tips abotu care for this one, or how long it takes to see its first flowers? Its suppost to be about 2 feet tall.

Also is this an evergreen plumeria? Ive never worked with an evergreen plumeria. Are they easy affected with spider mites, or a bit more resistant than the decidious plumerias?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Comments (15)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I have 2 that I fairly recently started from cuttings. It was the easiest plumeria I've ever rooted. I rooted one in water and one in regular well draining potting soil (I usually use pumice, perlite, coir but didn't have any). No bottom heat and both put out new growth immediately and roots within a couple weeks. It is an evergreen and mine seem to be doing well in a sunny window. No bug problems so far and they were near some plants that were infested with aphids. I think these are one of the hardier plumies. I hope I get flowers next summer.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They seem super easy, and the of it look alone is what brought me to it. Im going to keep it in a room with temps in the upper 70s and sun and maybe if im lucky ill be seeing flowers this summer (some websites say that they can flower indoors too).
    Thanks, and if anyone has some more advice or knowledge at all about them I would greatly appreciate it.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got it in the mail today. its a pretty nice size and I hear they grow pretty fast too, so Im hoping for some flowers for the summer.

good luck and thanks again for your help!

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I bought one at Home Depot this summer, it was about 2' tall in full bloom. It's dropping leaves cause of the cold front. Still has blooms though.
    Tally HO!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yours looks great. I just measured mine and it is 2 feet tall with 3 branches. Some of the leaves are falling off, but thats probably from shipping stress.

Good luck with yours!

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I am impressed with this plant. It's still got blooms.
    Tally HO!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

January and it still has blooms in a zone 9b, I dont know any other plumerias with that kind of determination!

Happy New year!

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heres a quick update on my pudica. It got spider mites or maybe some outer type of bug indoors and lost all its leaves. I took it outside in late march and planted it in the ground. Now after seeing warm days and sunshine, it has lots of new growth and is starting to put out new leaves. They are evergreens, but have the ability to recover from total leaf loss. Im hoping with some good summer heat and fertilizer I will have some bloom pics to share from this nice plumeria.

Good luck!
    -Alex

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Mine also lost most of their foliage when I put them outside. I just kind of stuck them outside without acclimating them to natural sunlight and the foliage scorched. I figured that would happen but it's been growing back pretty quickly.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That happened with a lot of my plants, but Im very happy to see it making a great comeback. This weekend and this entire week has been hot, humid, and very summer like and now its growing even faster. I see some very nice and healthy, fully developed leaves already sprouting. Looks like by this time next month it should look pretty good.

Good luck. Im glad to hear that yours had the same problem and is also recovering. Its one very tolerant plumeria. Even though most of my other plumerias are also getting new growth, this one is growing really fast.
    -Alex

• schurene
    12 years ago

How tall will this grow? Just bought a 3' potted specimen and need this info so I'll know where to plant. My other trees (2 over 25') are in beautiful bloom now...just spectacular. All 4 of my trees came from branch cuttings. Such a wonderful plant...and easy to grow here in Florida.

• tropicalzone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They grow pretty tall pretty fast. The good thing is that they dont take up too much space unlike most plumeria I see.

Heres a pic of mine last Ocotber. It grew 3 feet from April 2010 to October 2010 so it should grow at least 4 feet a year in your climate! (The pic was taken after a bad rain so all the flowers fell off for the day)

They are very easy to grow trees and even if neglected, they will still make beautiful blooms. The only downside to them is that there is no fragrance to the bloom at all.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• wanna_run_faster
    12 years ago

Schurene,

I have one that is about 10 feet tall...and this is after I cut it in half last year! I think it will grow into a tall shrub / small tree about 15' in zone 10 Florida but that is just a good guess.

• irun5k
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1228321}}

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Not sure where my text went, but just mentioned that I'm really impressed with this plant. 3 blooming inflos and many more forming, on a plant of this size? I bought this one last fall and put it into the ground this spring.

Looks like I've got some mushrooms to clean out too. They must like the recent rain and perhaps Bill's Perfect Fertilizer which is organic and probably attractive to them.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES