Return to the Plumeria Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plumeria in Palm Springs area?

Posted by merryberry z10CA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 20:44

Hi,

Does anyone know if plumeria grow well in the Palm Springs' area? Can they handle the 115 or more degree heat?

thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plumeria in Palm Springs area?

The heat is not the problem, it is the cold in winter. Otherwise, if you protect from frost/freezing they can grow in the desert. You want to give them Protekt on a regular basis and keep away from block walls or house walls that radiate too much heat.

o

Yeah that cold desert air rolling off the mountians into the valley is going to be very hard to deal with. Assuming you are in the valley itself. I don't beleive plumerias do well in high country conditions. Probably too dry and cold at night.

I would try it with Celadines, pinks or Obtusas. They seem to deal with summer temps just fine for me. Keep them potted and transportable. Its the more colorful varieties I have to move to afternoon shade or will have sunburn.

o

Good to know... Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumeria Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here