Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudmamasd

MIA-here's why!

ProudMamaSD
11 years ago

Hey Everyone!

Jen, thank you for posting your query, I've missed this forum. Wasn't sure I could talk about what I've been up to on the forum without violating a policy of the forum, so I've been quiet. That being said, I realize that is silly as my objective is so sell locally at farmers markets, not to advertise here. So here's the excitement in my life!

I've started a little business, Double Peak Plumeria, and have 600+ cuttings rooting in a GH to make ready for Spring.(Andrew, did you know it was me who sent you the trees, lol?!) So if any of you are SD local, once I determine what markets I will be in, please come introduce yourselves!!

Here's some pics:
DH builds the GH:

The first shipment:

Full and happy!

Logo!!!

Plumeria passion taken to the next level! Sharing with the community. :o)

Thanks for sharing my big moments,
Wendy

Comments (47)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Double Peak Good Luck!!!! Wendy!!!

If i can ever offer any advise, please call on me.. I love to come and hold your glass of wine@!!! LOL..

Seriously, Good Luck!!!

You are so nice and i hope you all the best!!!

Laura.. dont forget the wine!! ;-)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

How cool. I wish you the best of luck!

mike

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Congratulations, Wendy! We've missed you and I'm so pleased to see it was for a good reason! Love the glass of bubbly that accompanies the first shipment, teehee.

Psst, email me. ;!

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

Doing something you love never does seem like work. So now you can expense your purchases for tax purposes (for 2012 at least). I'm sure next year will be a different story.

All the best to you and your venture. When you have a catalog ready please send it to me.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Outstanding Wendy, I'm SOOOOO excited for you!!! I've seen just a thing or two here and there on FB - I'm not on there very often - but it's great to see the 'official' unveiling here!!! I wish you the very best and I'm so happy to see you get this going, doing something you love to do! Cheers Wendy, and please send me a catalog too!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Are you selling these cuttings/plants to us? If so, send me a list of what's available, the size and the cost. Thanks!

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your wonderful support! Really, I am overwhelmed.

I spent the day working on the catalog, just need to input prices and size, this will be difficult. I have shipped to several folks already, and am grateful that you all are even thinking of looking. Thank you. You will hear from me soon.

Laura, won't you please come hold my wine for me, please! I tell you, when 100 cuttings show up in a day, there's been a lot of wine, and a lot of music. :o) Woulda loved your company.

Mike- thank you!! So much. I love plumeria, I love the community, and I am so eager for the journey{{gwi:807}} and fun that Spring holds for me now. Not to mention I have wildly increased my collection with no eye rolling from the spouse!

KMS- Ahh that tax benefits. It would be a lie to say I wasn't diligently recording every last expense, lol. (there's been a lot!) And truly, how nice to have an expensive hobby work in my favor for a change, lol! I owe you, your cutting and seeds have both flourished, many thanks.

Jen- so much for keeping the collection at a reasonable number, lol! I went crazy. Now the problem of keeping my personal collection to myself, and the public one to the public. This has already become an issue, as I have sold 2 that I cherish from my own collection, without even seeing one bloom! But, when you are suddenly with 600+ cuttings, I find myself thinking it silly to hang onto anything when I have a swollen greenhouse. I don't want to loose me as a collector, so the battle begins.

Emily- it is not easy for me to just put this out there in everyones face, which is why I have kept it low key. I don't want to upset the apple cart. As I said, the idea is to sell to my local community in farmers markets, but the many welcomed sales I've had via the internet have been a blessing. Thank you for your encouragement and excitement!

Kay, yes I am, thank you! I've now shipped all over, such a lesson just in that. I put together a catalog today and just need to fill in prices and size. That's not going to be immediate, but if you like I can send over the image catalog and will respond directly to any interest you may have with prices. At this point, I have everything from cuttings (both small'ish to instant trees) and just need to get a general inventory and plug in pricing. Thank you so much for your interest.

Everyone, thank you so much. I had major cold feet about mentioning this, and now I feel really good about it!

All the Best,
    Wendy

Blooming today: Nassau, Mini White (GARDENIA FRAGRANCE)and Fuschia Queen! What a treat. Intense Rainbow and Puahi Ali (prob not spelled accurately) are coming. Love this 'job'!

This post was edited by ProudMamaSD on Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 17:18

11 years ago

um......yeah, Im gonna need a Gardenia fragrance mini white. so everyone back off, its mine. LOL.

Really though I LOVE the smell of Gardenia but I have had 0 luck keeping one alive.

mike

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike- You're making me laugh! I've heard many people complain about having troubles keeping Gardenia alive, so you aren't alone. You should see the root systems on the mini whites, they are incredible, actually, I will go snap a pic to share, think I still have some in bags.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Are you guys talking about gardenia shrubs or Gardenia plumeria?

Mike, I've had good luck with Frostproof gardenia, though I can't usually keep others alive.

A gardenia scented plumeria sounds fabulous, too. Is your Mini White a JJ's or JL's? And is it "mini" in growth habit or blooms?

11 years ago

Wendy!!!

OMG!!!

600? You are the "queen" (MY HERO)

I think my hubby would have boxed me up and sent me third class to china!! LMAO!!!

Although, he has mentioned that i could sell my collection and make some money.. LOL.. Says who? :-)

I think you have a great attitude and im so proud of you for doing what you want and taking the reins and going with it!! I had to laugh at the pic of your hubby working in the greenhouse. It reminded me of when me and my DH were putting up my greenhouse ( he gave me this as a gift) so he did enable me!! : ) I felt like "Rosey The Riveter" I could bend over backwards and work that baby every which way and back!! LOL.. I will say it could be a shelter for all of the hurricanes we have!!

I would have loved to be there to share a glass of wine with you!! Hopefully when i get to SD, we can do this!!

When i kid about my DH with his "eyerolling and allergies" i am really kidding.. he is a good sport, buti do have to hide some packages.. LMAO!!

Good luck to you!!! I received the email from you and i will take a peek .. always a pleasure to help people like you!!!

You're a doll!

Laura

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen, love your knowledge!! We were discussing gardenia shrubs, at least I was, lol.
    This is not JJ's, King Kalakua, aka Mini White, and it is a fast grower, though the blooms are not small in my opinion; when I think small I think Divine, but this is larger than that, maybe average, 2.5"-3. Should go out and measure but I'm cozied up in bed, lol. Strong gardenia fragrance, petals overlap, bright yellow center.

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura,

You're so fun!! Yes, 600, I am Swimming in a sea of plumeria, and the water is sooo nice. Once that GH was built, that's where you'd find me after dark, just happy, sorting through cuttings, looking for roots; enjoying the humid heat. I should get you all a new pic, there is a wood tiki sign at the door with a pink plumeria flower at either end which says, "Happy Hour." So my DH comes home and says, "Are you drinking in there? That can't be good for you." Lol, he missed the point. This is my happy place. Like your DH, mine is also supportive, but an occassional sneak doesn't hurt him.

Thanks again, I am so glad I shared with you all, it has that shiny brand new excitement all over it again. :o)

Wendy

11 years ago

Jandy, Wendy

I was talking about the shrubs, I have tried one the last couple of years and they always end up dying.

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hi Wendy,
    No I had no idea! Funny how I know you as Proud Mama here and as Wendy on the F.B. forums...never put 2 and 2 together. Boy do I feel stupid now!

Andrew

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Andrew, you and I were in the same boat. Funny how we think this community is so large, but we are really just the same group of prolific posters in two different places, ha!

11 years ago

Hi Wendy,

If you all are interested in cuttings of my "old Fashioned" Gardenia that has huge fragrant blooms, let me know and this spring i will start some for you all. Andrew has one on the list and i dont mine starting more for you too Mike!! ;)

Wendy.. Im ready for whole bottle of wine right now.. WHERE are you? lol.. I love the pavers and the little stones that you placed on the floor of your greenhouse. We did the same thing for drainage and it workd great. I have some pics on my photobucket if you wanted to see.. let me know and i will share.

I am still in shock of all those cuttings.. LOVE THEM!!!

A girl after my own heart.. Just so happy for you!! I know you love these and i can feel the excitement.

OK.. ill go and email you..

You take good care!!

Laura

11 years ago

Laura. That's is so nice of you. I would love one. Once my seedlings get a bit bigger I have one picked out just for you.

Mike

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laura, yes, please do share your pictures! So nice of you to share your Gardenia fragranced plumeria, yummy!

• pcput
    11 years ago

CONGRATS Wendy

Looks like you've got everything under control.

Best of luck with your new business, I know you'll do just fine. Peg

• Minderella
    11 years ago

Hi Wendy.

Just wanted to say hi on this forum too. I love looking at your flowers and "sticks"

Mindy

• rox146
    11 years ago

Hi Wendy from Ventura...I am new to this forum and am wondering if you will be at the San Diego cutting sale in April...the 1st weekend..if not..please let me know how/where to view availability..love to see new businesses start...mahalo nui loa, roxanne

• Kimo
    11 years ago

Wendy,
    Love your Plumie Biz name. Wishing you much fortune and business in 2013!!!
    What varieties will carry/sell (Thai, Oz, Domestic?)??
    If I am not mistaken I think there are 2 different guys who sell plumies at the different Farmers Markets as I have seen them in SD, do you know them?

Well Congrats, Mazeltov :)

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

Wendy how can I order from you? Kathy

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone!

Mindy, big wave to you!

Roxanne, I will be volunteering at the cutting sale in April so that I am eligible to sell at the plant sale, but will not be selling there. I'd love to meet you, please look for me! Thank you for your support! I can send you a catalog or you can look me up on FB. I can always hold plants for you, I am happy to do so.

Freak- thank you!! My current bulk is mixed, some JL, some Thai, some domestic. I've got a large order in now for cuttings from Thailand, specifically Jungle Jack's, many new varietals and some of the good old standards. I have heard there is a guy selling, and went to a market that told me they could allow me to sell now but that this guy would return in summer. I don't know who the mystery seller is, does anyone here? I start in the Solana Beach farmers market on Sunday and am on the waiting list for the Hillcrest market. Very excited to begin!!!!

Kathy, please message me! Or email me directly at doublepeakplumeria@gmail.com. You can find me on amazon.com however the prices are higher to accomodate for the money they take for the sale, so find me on Facebook or email me for a catalog.

Thank you everyone, this has been a wonderful transition for me and all of you make it even sweeter.

Best,
    Wendy

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I caved and bought a Pink Kiss from her!
    She's a terrible temptress. ;)

-Robert

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

XOXO, Robert. ;o)

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Robert, you wont be dissapointed!

Andrew

11 years ago

Thanks, Andrew! I'm really looking forward to receiving it and really enjoyed working with her. It's a large rooted cutting and I'm betting with my tender loving care I'll get some blooms come summer/fall. I'll post pics when it does bloom. :)
    Jen will be happy that I broke my 'no more plumies' promise. Laugh.

-Robert

• rox146
    11 years ago

Aloha Wendy again,
    I don't do facebook, sorry,.....just wondered about the list of varieties you will have for sale..my wish list is up to 66 and am coming down to the cutting sale the 1st Sat. in April. Hopefully my husband goes surfing or something. I will try to look you up to meet you and have best wishes for your new endeavor. Nothing beats growing plumeria...mahalo nui loa, roxanne

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Robert: bwahahahahaaa! You are sooo in the right place for broken promises!

Wendy, I'm delighted to hear your business is taking off! Remember, a rooted Desert Sunrise is on the top of my list ;)

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jen, you are in luck..... I have one for you. :D C'mon Spring!

Robert, I have no doubt we will be seeing many blooms from you, that little tree is going to be very happy in your capable hands. Still thinking I shoulda kept it and planted it, lol. ;o)

Hey Rox, fingers crossed that your man gets very distracted that day and you can do some plumeria SHOPPING!

I love plumeria, love plumeria people, sigh.... thanks everyone. :o)

Wendy

11 years ago

Wendy,

I'll be happy to sell it back to ya...at an inflated price of course. ;)
    Seriously I can't wait for spring and get that sucker growing outside. You know I'll be proudly posting pics when it blooms!
    I know you gave me the scent notes on Pink Kiss (how it smells like apricots, sweet olive, Osmanthus fragrans and one person said Celadine) but you didn't give me your thoughts. I'm assuming you've smelled it or you just rooted some cuttings?

Jen,

I'm cursing you because of course I had to look up Desert Sunrise and I love the colors and of course read it has a sweet scent and now it will be simmering in the back of my feverish plumie mind. Laugh.

-Robert

• rox146
    11 years ago

Aloha Wendy, My wish list for the S.D. cutting sale is growing now thanks to this forum...hhhmm...desert sunrise and now pink kiss....total on the wish list now of 68...yikes..hope there is good surf in S.D. on the 6th of April...roxanne

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robert, you little devil. Devil with a clever tongue, "...simmering in the back of my feverish plumie mind." what a line. It smells a lot like celadine to me, and for a person who bows down to fragrance, I am truly awful at describing most plumeria's fragrance. To my memory it was very sweet and strong, but that's all I got. :o(

Don't you all worry, there will be pink kisses and desert sunrises in all of your futures. Sounds like we have it made, right?

Wendy

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, PS Laura... about that jasmine, might I be on the list to? Perhaps a trade?

11 years ago

Thanks for making the devil laugh at work!
    I know what you mean about describing scents. I'm totally terrible at it even though scent is my top priority.
    I have many friends on the fragrant forum who are quite skilled with describing flower scents where as I can only compare scents to other flowers.
    I've got a Celadine so hopefully one day it will be blooming when Pink Kiss is and I'll compare the two. ;)
    Thanks for the info!

-Robert

11 years ago

Hi Wendy,

The Gardenia Tree cutting?

No worries... ;-)

I will start one for you... no trades, just freindship!!!

;-)

Take care,

Laura

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Wendy, I knew you'd come through for me! When the weather warms up, I'll take the biggest, fattest DS you got!

Robert, my work here is done. ;) Anything I can do to draw people further into the madness...

Rox, you are so lucky to be where you can shop the big sales and put your babies straight into the ground!

Laura, been missing you! Hope all is well there.

• rox146
    11 years ago

Yes Jandey, I am kind of close...3 and a half hours to San Diego..our lot is pretty small and most are in pots. I am trying to find more ground space this spring and put more in before my husband puts me in the ground! @ more nights of wat below normal for us in Ventura, ca. roxanne

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tomorrow is my big debut in the Solana Beach Farmers Market, wish me luck everybody! And if any of you locals aren't busy, I'd love you to stop by and introduce yourself. :o)

Take Care,
    Wendy

• rox146
    11 years ago

Good Luck Wendy...is the market on Sunday or Monday? Hoping my friend will be able to get there to buy the one I am hoping for and bring it by train to our party up here on the 2nd of Feb. (ground hog day) Will you do it each week? mahalo, roxanne

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Every Sunday, just let me know Roxanne so I am sure to have what you are looking for with me and held for you.

• rox146
    11 years ago

just wanted to say, it is because of the great comments on this forum about Wendy and her newly formed business that I am having a friend pick up 3 from her and bring them to Ventura when she comes on the 2nd of Feb. Now to just sneak them into the yard while my husband is not looking. Very excited to do business with her and all the luck in the future. mahalo and aloha, roxanne

• pcput
    11 years ago

So do tell Wendy. How did it go??? Peg

• ProudMamaSD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Roxanne, it has been fun doing business with you. You are a crafty lady, no doubt your husband will never know notice the latest family additions.

Peg, I have to say the market was busy, really busy, and unfortunately my sales didn't directly reflect that. However, I am very optimistic that next week will be really good for me. I spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people, many wanted to go home and find the right spot, some just weren't prepared for this new addition to the market. Almost as if they need a week to acclimate. So many walk over from home, I will bring and present more bag rooted so they are easy to carry and transport. I did indeed have sales and I feel have already made some regular customers, and honestly, SUPER people watching. I had so much fun, the time flew by. I cannot wait for next week both in terms of sales and more people watching. If any of you locals want to come camp out at my booth, I am not kidding, the people watching might be better than the airport.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

Very cool, Wendy! So glad to hear you enjoyed it; what a fun experience! Remember, save a big ol' Desert Sunrise for me ;)

I hope you weren't affected by that awful cold front that blew through. I hate to hear about them when so many people have sizable trees in the ground, real beauties. The last big freeze a few years ago cost some of our plumeria friends some prize trees, very sad.