Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Just when you think it's over and want to give up....

This is a wonderful message to lots of people who may want to give up on some of their plants and trees...

I purchased two rooted/grafted cuttings (Makaha Sunn) from a very generous person. One did beautifully and the other didnt do so well. It started to take a turn when i brought it inside this November and showed signs of the top half of the graft to turn brown and start to rot.

Trying to save this special cutting, i tried to cut off the bad section and see if it would continue to perk up and stay firm. Well...it didnt. I was bummed....

Some of you all know the story that is behind the Makaha Sunn and who named this beautiful tree. I have searched for this beauty for a while and was so pleased when i found these cuttings.

As i was cleaning up today and looking at some of my trees, i looked at both of my Makaha Sunn Plumies. The one that i thought that i lost still looks dead. I knew that it was a goner, but just didnt do anything with it since i was so busy during the holidays.

Knowing that the top of the graft is the MS cutting and the bottom half is root stock, I was still surprised to see what i found this afternoon...

Here is the picture of what is happening with this sad looking tree.

It wants to live..that is what makes me want to share this with all of you, especially tonight...New Years Eve.

Things can always look up and change...just when you think they cant...

Here is a surprise for me, especiallyy since its not the time of the year for a tree to try and produce new stems.

Happy New Year to you all!!

Life is good and comes in all different ways!!!

Never give up!!!

My little tree didnt. Even though it isnt a Makaha Sunn, it still is a Plumie and i will take good care of this little guy who wants to thrive...

Happy New Year!!!

Laura

{{gwi:1228749}}

{{gwi:1160916}}

Here is a pic of my first Varigated Plumeria (Maya)

I just love this beautiful tree. The leaves have a pink hue. Thank you... : )

Laura

{{gwi:654165}}

Comments (13)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Laura-
    What a great boost! :) Life comes out of death!
    Thank you for sharing your story and photos, it's very encouraging, especially with the New Year coming in! I never have the heart to ditch anything with a bit of growth on it, even if it's mostly dead. That's why I have so many cuttings filling my greenhouse and basement!
    Happy New Years!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

What do you think the rootstock is?

Happy New Year Laura!

dave

• arctictropical
    12 years ago

Hi Laura. Great job! It will be fun finding out what your root stock ends up being. I wonder what they usually use for root stock. Celadine? That wouldn't be bad.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    12 years ago

Don't they normally use seedlings for rootstock? I'd be interested in knowing.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kathy!!

I agree, you just never know... life does come from things least expected sometimes!!! I was really pleased to see these little stems. The funny thing about this is that i have this tree just sitting in my greatroom. The others are under lights and then some of my active trees are with this little sad looking tree. Im going to leave it right where it is. It must really like the conditions there. So...i will let it be!

Dave,

I was wondering the same thing!!!

Tomorrow i will call Carol and ask her. I was always under the impression that they used seedlings as well.
    I will let you know!!!

Happy New Year to you !!!

Hi Kevin!!!

If it is a Celadine, that will be wonderful!!! It really doesnt matter what it will be. It will still mean somethinng to me since it really wants to live! It looks so pathetic right now. I really didnt want to even take a pic of it, but it was so cute in its own way, i wanted to share!! LOL...

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!!

Dont forget to eat your "Blackeyed Peas" today!!!

I think i will even put a bean on this poor tree just for luck!!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• tdogdad
    12 years ago

I would cut down to and along the graft so the rot does not spread into the root stock. If it does the plant is toast.

• sflgplume
    12 years ago

Happy New, all!

Laura, I'm almost certain that I remember Carol telling me when I was down there that they use seedlings for rootstock.

Thanks for sharing this great little story.

Greg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Greg!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Im sure it is seedling stock that they use, i will give her a call anyway and ask!! She is such a nice lady. It will be nice to just say hi!!! : )

Bill,

I Did that this afternoon!! Thanks for the advice. I did cut it back to the graft line and it did have rot past the graft line. I cut it back even more until it was gone. I waited for an hour and then sealed it. Hopefully, it will continue to grow and I will have a cute little Plumie that didnt want to go in the trash!!!

Here is a picture of the tree after i cut it back.

Take care,

Laura

{{gwi:1228753}}

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Laura that variegated plumie is so cool!!!

Mike

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike!!!

I love this Maya too!

All of the new leaves have a pink hue and its really a show stopper!!

I'm so thankful for this nice Christmas Present!!

Thank you!!! : )

Hope all is well with you Mike!!!

How are your trees doing?

Happy New Year!!!

Laura

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Hi Laura! Happy New year! Plumerias (and all plants) can definitely surprise you, Im glad that its coming back for you. I would never have thought that it had life in it, but it just goes to show that plants have an amazing ability to recover and to never give up on them!

That Maya looks really great! I have a maya also. They are slow growers (or at least they are for me), but are just as easy to take care of as any other plumeria. I hope mine blooms someday, but the leaves are nice enough! I think the blooms on them are supposed to be yellow?

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• pcput
    12 years ago

Laura,
    It will be interesting to see what grows from your root stock. Maybe it will be as good or better than the Makaha Sun. Your Maya is looking GOOD !!! I didn't know you moved to Alaska ???? LOL I'm still fighting spider mites :( and lost a couple of seedlings and one newly rooted plant. Have a couple of others that don't look real good. I hate loosing any plants. I've got my fingers crossed for those.

Happy New Year to all and wish everyone lots of blooms this year. Peg

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that i spoke to Carol a few days ago and she did say that they only use seedlings for rootstock. She was very kind and had said that you never know what type of variety one might have!!! She said that one time someone had such a beautiful bloom, they registered it with the PSA!!! LOL...so, we will see what this little guy has in store for me.

You just never know do you?

Hi Alex,

Hope all is well up north...Brrr! Its a cold windy day up there today!!!! Im in your neck of the woods!!!

Hi Peg!!!

I certainly hope you get those mites under control. They are nasty things and i have been dealing with them as well... My Maya is doing great!!!!: ) LOL...back from Alaska!!! Just kidding around...saving my Maya from being Plumiejacked!!!! LOL...

Hope all is well and hope to see you soon!

Happy New Year!!!

Laura