Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdogdad

Going dormant pictures (So.Cal-12/12/06)

tdogdad
17 years ago

With all the talk about plants going dormant, I went outside today and took some pictures to help people recognize some signs of dormancy. Bill

A few leaves turn yellow in the midst of green and some flowers:

{{gwi:1228791}}

{{gwi:1228792}}

A celadine decides it is time to shut down all at once:

{{gwi:1228793}}

A Guillott's sunset dumps leaves but keeps flowering (many won't open):

{{gwi:1228794}}

Some mature branch tips have no claws, others do, others will drop:

{{gwi:1228795}}

Often all that will be left is seed pods which will grow through the winter:

{{gwi:1228796}}

Hope this answers some questions and stimulates a few more. Bill

Comments (13)

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Bill
    thanks for the pictures, helps a lot and explains the leaves dropping. I am there now. Lot of my plants still have leaves, but some have just dropped dark green leaves during winds. Appreciate the photos,
    will have a lot of questions as they go into total dormacy...will be heart breaking but know this is what has to be.
    Karen B

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Thanks for the photos. How come the tips of all my plumerias, old & young, aren't smooth like those? All of my dormant plants have at least a couple tiny claws at the tips. Do they need to be kept at a cooler temp or get less light?
    Karyn

• mystwitch
    17 years ago

Now is the time I can see the tips without leaves and look forward to spring and blooms. Take a look at your trees and tips, you may notice some really fat healthy branches that offer the promise of blooms next spring. Gives ya something to think about!

Karen

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karyn- I think you have to move your plants inside to avoid the cold whereas mine stay outside and slowly go smooth. I notice the small claw leaves when left in the cold will blacken and drop off eventually except on some of my young plants. I do not know if this is common in a higher zone region or not. For you let the plant decide as it is no harm. The only thing to watch for is small pieces of the leaf stems that if left on the branch will sometimes cause rotting to occur. I scrape them off with my finger.
    Karen- I also begin when the branches are clean, to plan what branches I will prune in March. I tie garden tie around those that are marked for cutting and then cut when they begin to awaken in the spring. I also root prune and re-pot in late February so the plants have a fresh start for spring. Happy holidays / Bill

• mystwitch
    17 years ago

Bill,
    I assume you are pruning branches to shape your trees. Do you take those branches that bloomed this past season and leave the ones may bloom this next season?

Karen

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen- First I find that a plant that blooms will split into 2-4 new branches which may or may not bloom next year. I frankly have not paid that much attention to which branches bloom and which do not each year, but I find the thought interesting. I prune to shape and control. If the Cerise and the Intense Rainbow are growing into each others space, I prune to create the boundries. Since I have about 25 large plants in hedges along my property line, I need to settle boundry disputes among plants. Some plants I prune growth outward to allow clear walkways and force the plants upwards. Some pruning is just to allow more plants to occupy close quarters. I soon will need to learn more from Bud Guillott who is the master of pruning; He has 15 year old plants that are 4" in diameter but just 6' tall because he prunes to keep his flowers near the ground and to control overall plant width growth. Since a pruned branch will not flower until 2 years, he staggers his pruning so he always has some branches flowering each year. As your plants mature, you find that you have more and more cutings from pruning. This year I started 167 cut branches which many I gave to schools, civic gardens or to friends. Hope that makes sense. Bill
    Karyn- I wanted to share a pic of "C" dog who is filling the space left by "T"
    Chelsea is a fantastic dog as far as markings and disposition. She is a real kid pleaser and does not mess with the plumies- smart! Bill
    {{gwi:1228798}}

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is one picture I forgot to add which shows using green plant plastic tie to pull up and shape limbs of plumerias so they do not have to be cut. After a year I cut the tape and the branch is strong enough to hold itself in position. Be careful not to snap off branches. Pull until tight and wait a week and then you can stretch some more but watch for overstress cracks on the underside which show right before it snaps. I do much shaping this way until the plants are about seven feet tall. It also helps in heavy winds. Bill
    {{gwi:1228800}}

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Bill,
    the last few nights here in the San Fernando Valley are hitting the low 30's..so rare for us in my area, is always warmer here. first night did not realize, it hit 32, and all my plants in the ground were covered with ice..panic, warmed up some during the day, were wet..but dried. to hit cool again that night. I am losing big time leaves, wind chill too. was concerned they would all die, didn't so far!!! one plant has two leaves, aztec gold.

The plants I have on the patio, celidine, daisy, my three cuttings and others in pots are protected up against the house, seem fine so far. celidine has not dropped any leaves, daisy some. If my plants in the ground keep frezing, will that kill them?, have 9. My gardenias, hibiscus and hydrangia do not like this weather....so rare for my area. Its cold..brrr.
    Karen B.

• tdogdad
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you contact a farm supply, you can probably find a roll of frost cloth. This can be draped over your plants and will not transmit the cold. Since you have a small number of plants outside, this might be worth your efforts. I just have too many plants so I have to sweat it out. Bill

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Bill
    thanks, have some covered, some inside..will see what happens in the next few days. Good luck to you with all your plants, hope everyone in the valley does well freezing temps...Tony too
    Karen B

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Bill and all.,
    notice on some of the plumies in the ground are getting, as you described smoothness on the top. Noticed that the claws look smaller and are just folding over each other and sealing. Would presume that is what they do going dormant? Was suppose to be the coldest night in the valley.

Made it last night more leaves dropping, but my hydrangea may not..turned black..dern. My hibiscus look little droopy, afraid to water them.
    went out last night to cover some of the plants, some of my hanging ones too on the patio..let out a scream, there stood the biggest fattest possom I have ever seen, never see them..just stood there and looked at me. not a neat situation. Got my husbands attention! ha ..Well worried about my plumies, but sure I am not the only one.
    Karen B.

• pharoah
    17 years ago

Hi Karen,
    My Plumies are all fine! They seem to be more stronger in the ground. I have lost some leaves on a few, but others haven't dropped any. I was worried about Singapore Obtusa because many have said that it won't tolerate temps under 50 and will get black tip or die, but it's still evergreen!!! I also have a Pua Keni Keni which is also known to die under 50 degrees and there is not any damage thus far. The ground seems to be the key. Was your hydrangea well watered before it turned black?? Well hydrated plants do better during freezes than thirsty plants. Moist soil will absorb more heat during the day and radiate it up to the plants at night.

Good luck! As Bill said, a frost cloth is a good idea if you are worried.

Tony

• kbauman
    17 years ago

Hi Tony,
    so glad to hear your plants are doing well. Don't know about the singapore, hope it makes it. Am worried, cause understand what they are to go through for dormacy, but sure concerned..we just don't have temps like we are having, in the 30's..that cold. ha Other morning was covered in ice. That puku one..I have one too, has not dropped any leaves.

I have 7 in the ground, took out two, no light and put them in 5 gallon containers, while back like Daisy. Need to get my trees trimmed for light. yes, do agree the ones in the ground seem strong, month ago took a growing spell, larger rich thick leaves, then dern, got cold. ha Spring, have to re-do my yard, thinking more light source.

. Aztec gold, have one in ground, really suffering, others dropping some, some ok.

On the watering, My hydrangea had been watered, then rained...but could have been dry, not sure. I thought that you do not water if its to get cold, harden the ground some..sure to freeze if you water. So you are saying water if you know its getting cold? I don't water my hanging plants either..if I know its going to be cold..
    Karen B.