Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjhuntingtonbeach

Last flowers of the season - Temptation

mjhuntingtonbeach
10 years ago

I bought a small Temptation from Jungle Jack's in July at their open house. The last one there, the runt of the one gallon litter. Well, it grew well over the summer, and very late started pushing out two inflos. Well finally over the last few weeks it has started blooming and today, Christmas Day, it had four open flowers. I've been bringing it in during the evenings when temps have dropped to the high 40's/low 50's which seems to have helped, althought it has lost most of its leaves. So I'm guessing this is it. Hopefully in the warmth of next summer there will more of the reddish coloring that attracted me to this variety, but I am pleasantly surprised it bloomed at all :)

Comments (17)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yet another view

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One last view.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

So beautiful!! Thanks for sharing and what a nice surprise :-)

Chuy

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Very nice! It has a great color! What a difference temperature can make.

Mark

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

Great plant. I have had JJ's plants have completely different colors with different temperatures but that is pretty drastic. I too hope it gets closer to the picture. You have to keep in mind that his growing grounds are not anything close to what we have so the colors ,although usually really close, can be a bit different.

being in 10b you should get pretty close to the same. John is a great man and if you find it to not be Temptation I bet he would send you a replacement. Are there any markings on the trunk? He usually ID's them that way.

Mike

• toomanydogs
    10 years ago

Not to worry, that's how my last Temptation flowers looked this fall. They really need heat to color up properly, as does Super Round. My first Super Round flowers were almost white but they turned dark pink/red when the temperatures got over 80.

Temptation is a fantastic variety, you will be happy with her. The veining shows up with heat too.

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I have to say this is very disappointing. We just had over a week of temperatures in the 90's, night temps in the low 70's and still just the slightest hint of color in the flower. Still off last year's inflo, so maybe when this year's inflos start to bloom in a month or so, I'll see more color

• Kimo
    9 years ago

Nice pic and color on your Temptation. Thats how my Temptation looks if there's a heat wave like now, usually looks l yellow like your first pics along with Jackie and a few other JJ's , never seen it get darker than that. Thanks for sharing Mike.

Cheers

• barb13_gw
    9 years ago

Love the color but it sure does not match the tag. Thanks again for sharing, Barb

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our heat wave of roughly 1-2 weeks ago is long over. Temperatures for the past week have been high 70's during the day, low/mid 60's at night, every morning a covering of dew on everything from the marine layer that rolls in after sunset.

But now, I am getting flowers from the two inflo's that started from this year's growth, not a continuation of last year's inflo still blooming.

NIGHT AND DAY..... totally different.... almost looks like pictures I have seen of Orange Jack..... what the HECK do I have here?

• rox146
    9 years ago

that is so lovely...I have 2 Temptations and they are both just yellow and no change what so ever. roxanne

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, the heat continues and the two inflos that formed this year have both started to finally bloom and I'm getting some great orange tones with veining. I didnt think it would happen, but I'm glad it did.

Some pictures from today:

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is another

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One last one

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

WOW! I love all the different colors you've seen this year! I am amazed!

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, here is a picture of my Temptation today. Temps have been in the 70's days and verging on 60 at night, with high 50's coming soon. So, Temptation has now faded back to its typical yellow. Pretty but not the hot colors of last week.

• gidgetsocal
    9 years ago

Wow! What a difference! Still gorgeous tho!