Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Animals in the News

youreit
18 years ago

This just in...

Cat Bites Dog, Owner Wants Leash Law for Kitties

After her pit bull was attacked by a neighborhood cat, a Sacramento dog owner is calling for an end to free-roaming felines.

Dawn Capp likes cats and dogs and has one of each. Her pets get along with each other. As far as other animals in the neighborhood, that's sometimes a different story.

Problems arose when her pit bull Tauri was in her backyard. An unknown cat came over the fence and bit Tauri on the face. Capp showed News10 the photos to prove it. "Right up there is a big red blotch," she said, pointing to a photo. "The blood was draining."

The dog's wounds required $100 worth of veterinary care and antibiotics. Tauri is doing well now, and enjoyed a brisk game of Frisbee during News10's visit. However, her owner said it is not right that a wandering cat can be allowed to cause such mischief without any repercussions. "A cat comes into my backyard. When I let my dog go out to go to the bathroom, [it] attacks my dog and gets away scot free," said Capp. "I have no way of knowing who the owner is. I get stuck with the vet bill.

"If this had been my dog that had attacked a cat, it would be all over the news," she added. "My dog would be in an animal control shelter now. I'd probably have a vicious dog citation after me."

In the city of Sacramento, a dog found roaming without owner, leash or license can be impounded by animal control. There are no similar regulations for cats. Animal Control's Hector Cazares thinks any attempt to restrict cats would be nearly impossible to enforce. "I just have a sense that the public would be totally opposed to trying to keep cats on leashes," he said.

Cazares says if a cat is being a destructive nuisance, such as digging up the yard to use as a litter box, peeved property owners can trap the animal and bring it to animal control.

Although cats are allowed to roam freely in most American cities and towns, some municipalities have approved "cat confinement", "cat leash", and, in some circumstances, even "trap and kill" ordinances.

Comments (83)

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Like we so totallyyyy believe you fairyG! It was like you're sister's! (I'm starting to nauseate myself now)
    Texas' weather is kind of the same weather wise to California but without mountians. Prarie fire/flood vs Mountain fire/mudslides. There are more fires/slides in Cali and TX has the added hurricanes. So everyone has a chance to evacuate the coast.
    I haven't been through a tornado so I can't really compare tornado and earthquake season. Earthquakes really suck. I was 7mos pregnant and living in Simi during the Northridge quake. Only good thing that came out of it was finding out where my (now ex) husband was "working late".
    It's horrible about those poor people! I didn't even notice the name of the gallery as unusual. How sad is that?PJ

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

At least it's not half-baked!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobster Caught 'Half Cooked' in Maine

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know how some things just seem to give you that warm feeling inside?

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Snake Swallows Electric Blanket

• ademink
    17 years ago

Hey! I used to raise liger cubs - I know they're the real deal! :) I worked for an exotic animal farm and we bred a mail African Lion to a female siberian tiger and they would have cubs. When they were 2 weeks old (ish), the mother rejects them and won't nurse anymore b/c she realizes that they aren't full tiger. Sooo, got to bottle raise these cutie patooties. We would sell to private owners, zoos, etc. They were huge cats, I'll give them that. At maturity you really SHOULDN'T be cuddling them like the lady in that photo...they are still a wild cat. :) They used to like to try to pee on me when I would go past the cage...it was a game. They would lift their tail and you would run like the dickens to not get sprayed. LOL

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are SO lucky, Andrea! To get sprayed by a Liger! LOL Seriously, to feed and cuddle those little cubs would be awesome. I think my trust (and fear) issues would cause me to spray any adult Liger within "shooting" distance. :D

I wish I could view the link below, but...alas, dial-up just isn't having it. I hope it's not too gruesome for the Bat Squad to watch!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Fishing Bats Battle Catfish in Belize

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think some cuddling is in order.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Panda Cam at the Giant Panda Research Station

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What a precious kitty!

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Denver Kitten Walks on Front Paws

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

Here is another Animal in the News story.

Pig withstands Tasers to escape slaughter
    150-pound porker finally succumbs to tranquilizers but avoids butcher
    Updated: 8:26 p.m. ET Sept 14, 2006

GREEN BAY, Wis. - A pig on the lam from a trip to the butcher withstood Taser shots from police officers and eluded authorities for more than an hour after wandering onto Green Bay's major highway Wednesday night.
    The 150-pound pig was spotted by a passing driver on U.S. 41 at 6 p.m. Wednesday night, Green Bay Police Lt. Todd LePine said. The animal reportedly went into traffic several times, creating a hazard, he said.
    Officers located the pig about 7 p.m. and made two attempts to subdue it with a stun gun, he said, but it fled both times after pulling out the Taser probes.
    A passerby who described himself as a former pig farmer tried to wrestle the animal, but the animal pulled away from him as well, LePine said.
    Three tranquilizer darts were finally used to bring the pig under control, and it was placed in blanket and lifted into an animal control van, LePine said.
    The animal was taken to the Bay Area Humane Shelter that evening. Police said a local attorney planned to claim the pig Thursday.
    Appleton attorney Nila Robinson, who raises pigs on her farm, told the Green Bay Press Gazette the pig was hers. The animal escaped somewhere between an Appleton Starbucks and Maplewood Meats near Green Bay.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

"somewhere between an Appleton Starbucks and Maplewood Meats near Green Bay." That pig covered a lot of territory! Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

reminds me of the kankakee steer. at least the police didn't put it full of bullet holes!

now, i could relate to this one. if the cicadas are as loud as they were here this season! they are scheduling the concerts later in the season to avoid being drowned out by the 17 yr brood.

Here is a link that might be useful: ravinia festival, chicago tribune

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This story is pretty nasty. I just can't believe it could fit that thing in its mouth!!!

Python Eats Pregnant Sheep

And this next one is a heart-warmer! :)

Brenda

Kindred Spirits Meet to Give Blind Cat New Home

A little more than a year ago, a grey and black short-haired tabby was left on the doorstep of a Sacramento home destroyed by fire. The owner no longer lived there. The windows were boarded up. But it just so happened, Diane Goldman needed to return to the house for something. When she arrived, she found the cat, undernourished and sick.

By Goldmans estimate, the animal was probably two to three months old. She was familiar with animals because she runs Animal Savers, a shelter that caters to handicapped and stray animals.

When Goldman found the cat, one of her eyes had burst from an infection. The other eye was almost as bad. Veterinarians were able to save the second eye, but the cat would eventually be completely blind.

Goldman named the cat Helen Keller and brought her home to the Animal Savers refuge. After taking the kitty to a veterinarian and making sure she had food regularly, it was determined Helen was actually six months old.

"SheÂs totally blind but gets around beautifully," said Goldman. "(She) climbs all over and plays with toys, and youÂd never know unless you see her that she is blind."

Goldman founded Animal Savers eight years ago to give low-income pet owners a place to get their pets spayed or neutered. She also rescues animals from shelters and provides a home to local strays. Animal Savers also does adoptions via the Internet.

Even though some of the pets at Animal Savers come with their share of health problems, Goldman does not believe a pet is unadoptable. "ThereÂs nothing unadoptable if you find the right person," she says.

That's exactly what happened when Goldman came in contact with Melanie Debore of Toussaint, Arizona. Debore saw a posting on the Animal Savers website for Helen Keller. After two months of corresponding by e-mail and telephone and filling out a four-page application, Debore got a chance to meet the newest member of her family Thursday.

Like Goldman, Debore also has a soft spot for animals with physical challenges. At her home in Arizona, she has a house full of cats with physical handicaps. Most of the cats are deaf, but one cat  Benjamin "Dizzy" Disraeli is blind. All of the cats are named after British prime ministers.

"My other deaf cats sort of outstrip him in the playing field, because he canÂt quite keep up and run around the way that they can. So I was looking for a little girl who would be a good play match for him, because heÂs very playful," Debore said.

Debore and Goldman seem to be kindred spirits when it comes to rescuing animals in need. Getting Helen wasnÂt the first time Debore traveled across state lines to adopt an animal in need of a good home.

One of her cats named Winston Churchill passed away after developing an infection from an amputation. Wracked with grief, Debore searched the Internet for another pet. She came across "Dizzy", who was living at an SPCA shelter in Virginia. The shelter had dubbed Dizzy un-adoptable.

"I thought, thatÂs ridiculous," Debore said. "HeÂs perfectly adoptable, and heÂs perfectly wonderful."

That perfectly wonderful cat will be Helen KellerÂs new playmate. But along with a new friend, Helen will also get a new name. Since all the female British prime minister names have been taken, Debore says sheÂll probably name the cat after New ZealandÂs Prime Minister Helen Clarke, so sheÂll still be a Helen.

"I think sheÂll fit in quite nicely," Debore said. "She looks exactly like Dizzy. We have an indoor-outdoor area for them so she can climb a tree and listen to the birds and try and catch a few lizards if she can. And become my little cozy snuggler at night, hopefully."

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

so sweet!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

this is cool

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That is a really cool story, FTM! I'd love to see one of those dogs, even if it's a computer a model of what it looked like back in the day. :)

The story below is SUCH a relief to me. We drove by the area on Saturday (one day or so after the wind and fires came through), and what I saw made me literally sick to my stomach. The article below only mentions the ones they were able to save. The dead sheep we saw were disturbing, but even worse to me were the ones still alive and suffering - singed lungs, burned eyes, open wounds on the poor animals who had no relief from the burning sun.

We spoke with a lady who runs a little market not far from the ranch, and she said the rancher had come in early that morning. He was overwhelmed with trying to round up all of the sheep to dispose of them (with a rifle). Animal control had said they'd help, as well as these folks from U.C. Davis, but no one had bothered to show up yet. Meanwhile, the sheep were just standing around, waiting to be put out of their misery.

I guess the 80-yr.-old father of the current rancher was out in the fields at 11pm on Thursday trying to till under a fire break around some of the sheep, but he became disoriented and overwhelmed by smoke.

I just don't know why the rancher assumed they might be able to get out and didn't cut the hell out of the fence for them. That's what's been bothering me, as well.

Brenda

Sheep Burned in Yolo County Fire Receive Care

The sight of hundreds of sheep burned in last Friday's fire near Zamora is hard to see, even for those used to dealing with injured animals. Yet there are signs of encouragement with each passing day.

The fast-moving blaze scorched approximately 10,000 acres, destroyed three homes, several outbuildings, and downed power lines. A large flock of sheep didn't escape the flames, either.

"It's a lot, even for experienced veterinarians," said Dr. John Madigan of the U.C. Davis Veterinary Emergency Response Team. Madigan is leading a group of volunteers in caring for the wounded animals, which are suffering from burns, leg injuries, and have lost their appetite.

Sheep rancher Bill Slaven said there was little he could do when the fire ripped through his ranch. "It was worse than I thought. I thought there'd be some place where they could maybe get out a little area or something, but there wasn't any place for them."

Slaven, whose family has owned the land for about 100 years, said he expects he'll lose as many as 600 sheep, a painful blow that will also be hard financially. "Just have to kind of go through the year and see if we make it through," he said.

There are hopeful signs, though. Sheep that were listless Sunday are struggling Monday against the help Madigan's volunteers bring. The veterinarian said with antibiotics and daily care, the sheep are gaining strength.

The vet helpers plan on attending to the sheep for at least the next two weeks. Animal owners like Slaven will not be charged for the services.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Brenda, I don't think I could have handled that. Just the thought is enough to make me ill. Is there any thought that the owner might be charged with neglect or some other charge? Sandy

• jeanner
    17 years ago

The latest on Ivory-billed woodpeckers, now thought to be in the Florida panhandle.....

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That would be amazing, Jean! I sure hope someone can get some solid evidence.

Sandy, I don't think the rancher is going to be charged. The way the ranch is situated among rolling hills, I have to imagine that the fire came up so suddenly that they just didn't have time to save the sheep. The only evidence I have that the father of the rancher took the valuable time to disc an area around those sheep I mentioned is from the owner of the market, so...I'm trying to think the best of him. It was his livelihood, but...I just wonder if hindsight is 20/20, and he wishes he could do it differently.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

cheetah conservation fund talks about their programs for wildlife and people.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now is one of those times I wish I had DSL, FTM!

The little darlings in the link below are the cutest things I think I've ever seen. (Adults grow to 5 inches long and weigh about 6 ounces! Oh, MY!)

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can't say I've ever felt the effects of a cider hangover. Bear in a drunk tank! Poor girl.

Brenda

Drunken Bear Found Stumbling Around Colorado Town

A Colorado bear woke up with a hangover this morning.

Neighbors near Boulder spotted the animal stumbling around, falling, and taking short naps. Officers say the bear probably got drunk from eating fermented apples from trash cans. They say this time of year, bears eat constantly to store fat for their winter hibernation.

Officers used a tranquilizer to capture her and took her somewhere where she slept it off. She wasn't hurt.

{{gwi:163019}}

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

call me mean, i can't help but chuckle!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

How I would love to spend 10 quality minutes with these 2 local punks. I am a firm believer in the "what comes around, MUST go around" theory.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ack! I notice there was no mention of the parents. Accountability has to start somewhere in life, and for those 2 little *bleeps*, it starts now.

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

These wolf hybrids has been in the news in NH. Most people want to get rid of the dogs, even though they have never hurt anyone. They just howl a lot. Which, IMHO, is no worse than any of the many dog kennels.

:( Mary

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ack!! This should definitely be filed in the "Give Me A Break" drawer! People can be so ignorant. If you can, please keep us updated on the progress, Mary!

I hope those 2 still on the loose are ok. :(

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. "a sanctury for abused, etc" they would never be in that position if....well, lets just say if they were being properly cared for by the original owners or breeder, not necessarily meaning mistreatment.

well, i am just not going to get into that one. BUT, issues with hybrids are often blamed on the wolf blood. the other problem is, weird things happen during hybridization though i am not going to lecture on.

there are more hybrids needing sanctuary than there are sanctuaries!

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Giant White Birds Find a Home in Downtown Turlock

It seems the invasion is on. For the past several months at sunset, hundreds of large white Cattle Egrets return like a squadron to their favorite tree in Central Park in Turlock.

The estimated 200 to 300 birds can stand up to 22 inches tall and are pretty loud.

"We love the birds. They're a novelty," says Terri Ramos, who works at Wellington's Pub located across from the park.

But employees of the Turlock Chamber of Commerce, whose building sits underneath the egret tree in Central Park, are not impressed by the mess the birds leave behind.

"I think everyone would like to see them go; they're creating a really big mess on the roof and our windows," says Chamber CEO Sharon Silva.

The city tried scaring the birds off with blanks from a pellet gun, but the egrets only returned minutes later.

In 2005, hundreds of egrets nested in a neighbor's tree near downtown. Similar efforts to scare them off also failed. The birds eventually migrated weeks later.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

cool! but i would hate to park my car under there!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I guess they should be glad they don't live in Hinkley, Ohio.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, buzzards would be probably be even worse on the auto's paint. LOL

Brenda

Threatened Frog Concerns Stop Flood Prevention

The next time Cosgrove Creek in Valley Springs floods several homes, residents will be blaming a frog for their wet carpets.

Cosgrove Creek has jumped its banks five times in the last 10 years. Now, the Calaveras County Public Works Department would like to dredge the creek to create more space. But the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said that work can't be done, because the creek is apparently home to a threatened species known as the California red-legged frog.

For Judy and Mike Cortez, it's unbelievable to them that their home, and those of their neighbors along the creek, won't get added protection, all because of a frog.

Mike said he's seen bullfrogs in the creek, but he can't recall ever seeing a red-legged frog.

The county was given clearance by the California Department of Fish and Game, as well as the Water Quality Control Board, to do the dredging, but without approval from the Army Corps of Engineers, the work won't happen.

Calaveras County officials said they do plan to do a survey this spring and summer during mating season to see just how many red-legged frogs actually live along Cosgrove Creek.

In the meantime, residents who've seen the water approach more than once are hoping the current dry winter stays dry.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

they are gorgeous. is this the same calaveras county of the jumping frog contest,hmmmmm, was it mark twain or someone else?

turkey vultures roost on the town water tower every year! i miss them in the winter.

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's the same Calaveras, FTM! And it surely was Mr. Clemens. DH entered the contest (well, his frog did) when he was a young'un. He never won, but he'll never forget it. :D

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

thanks, brenda! i will admit, i was profiling....sure it was set in the south :)

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

Hope this link works for everyone. Couldn't stop laughing while watching this video. Talk about a "couch potato."

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Too funny! I love silly kitty pictures.

Meanwhile, they caught a colossal squid far, far south of here. They froze it for research. But it looks like it could feed an army.

:) Mary

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL!!! I LOVE it when cats sit like that! I call my Pookie a drunken sailor when she does it. :D But she doesn't watch TV.

Yikes, that squid is scary! Sharp hooks on some of its suckers, too! Mommy!!!

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

too hilarious when garfield looks over like, "what IS your problem?"

• youreit
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lots of interesting stuff today!

"Toygers" vs. Tigers Beautiful kitties!

"Monster" Toxic Toad Caught in Australia He's so handsome, though! LOL

"Strange Owl" Seen in Wild for First Time Wow, serious cuddling material.

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The humpback whales are back in the Sacramento River! Poor darlings. :(

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They're going to try to get the poor darlings (Mom and child) back out to sea today! Wish them luck! Forty-five ft. (Mom) and 20 ft. (calf) long! I wish I could have seen them.

Brenda

Marine Experts Plan To Move Whales Out

He Did It Once - Can He Do It Again?

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

i couldn't help but be tickled, though a little sad, about the male that kept going in and had to be led out. i love the sonar net thing. i had no idea!

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

i just read the links, brenda. poor babies! it is a shame, and an understatement, of the negative impact (another undestatemtent) our "necessities" wreak on wildlife.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amen, sister!

The whales aren't leaving. :( Mom's injury may be worse than they thought, and without the sea water to help healing, it's just a bad situation. They also seem to be skittish when it comes to going back under the bridge. I really hope they make it home soon. *sigh*

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

i am sure all the pollution in the water doesn't help healing either!

they need their sea water- it is what they are adapted to!

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They made it past the bridge, and are hopefully on their way back to the ocean, swimming 12 miles west yesterday. I think it was the antibiotics kicking in, but with wild animals, you just never know what spurs them on. :)

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

yeah!! thanks for the updates, brenda!

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Warning - this story is pretty disgusting. Not graphic, just disgusting. :(

Brenda (a.k.a. The Beav)

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These poor little darlings! Rice fields are great attractors of wildlife here...until harvest time...:(

(The story got it wrong about Ibis in California, though. The white-faced are the only ones found here, not one of 3 kinds, as reported.)

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just had to dig up this old thread after reading a couple of cool stories recently. :)

Fastest Known Muscles Found in Songbirds' Throats - I bet Olive could give them a run for their money when she's yelling at Barry. LOL

And Rescued Cow Doesn't Know She's a Cow - I wish Milkshake could come live with me!! :)

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Anyone lose their 44 pound kitty?