Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

Crazy Daisy ~~SIGH~~ A Story.

chickadeedeedee
17 years ago

I was bored the other day. An unusual experience, to say the least, 'round Camp Nappy, aka home. Ho hum. What to do? What to do?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I could do some alterations on jeans and slacks that have been waiting for ages. How domestic of me ... I know.

So I get out the sewing needles, threads, straight pins, clothes ... all that good ol' wholesome stuff. I'm shortening the length for the slacks and dropped a straight pin. Who is at my side to pick the pin up? Yep! Daisy! Dear sweet Daisy the dog picked up the pin and ate it!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk !

I gave her a blueberry bagel to eat. The theory being the needle may stick in the bread rather in her dog stomach. That's the theory any way. So while Daisy is being rewarded for eating a pin, Mike is trying to find some hydrogen peroxide 3% to make Daisy puke the pin.

~~SIGH~~ No peroxide. Now I remember. We used it up when we needed to make her puke up a steak bone she stole a while back. Mike goes to the drugstore to get the peroxide. He was gone not more than 10 minutes. Surely it is not a difficult task to buy a bottle of stuff down the road.

Mike is back from the store. Hmmmmm ....Why is he grinning?

He has a bottle of peroxide in a plastic bag. Oh oh... He has a box too!

Not *quite* sure if I want to know what is in the box ... but I asked. The reply?

A squirrel!

On the way to the drugstore there was a squirrel in the street, laying on his belly but looking dead so Mike drove on to his destination. On the return trip the squirrel's position had changed. Although still on his belly he was closer to the side of the road. What could Mike do? He stopped and picked up the semiconscious squirrel and put it in a box that we have in the car for just such an occasion.

So. Who wants to make Daisy puke up a pin and who wants to treat the squirrel?

Mike had the squirrel on a towel on the kitchen table while I gave Daisy 36 ml. of peroxide by mouth and then we were playing in the hall for a few minutes to get the peroxide nice and foamy in her dog belly.

Meanwhile, back to the squirrel ... He was having trouble breathing so Mike shaved the squirrel's side a little and withdrew about 4.0cc of air from the chest. That's a lot of air for someone so small! OK. Mr. Squirrel is breathing better and is moving a little now.

Good! All 4 legs move as well as his tail. He doesn't appear to have anything broken but has a bloody nose and a concussion. Mike gets some SoluDelta Cortef, which is a steroid and very good for treating shock, and drew up some in an insulin syringe because the needle is about the right size for squirrel IV-ing.

And the Daisy saga also continues....She is a puking! Dog food. Bits of catnip toys. Bread. Blueberry bagel. Milk. Foam. There are so many places to vomit here that are not covered by a rug or carpeting but Daisy never once in all the rounds of vomiting, hit bare floor!

Many people, so I hear, spend their leisure time, roasting marshmallows or doing jigsaw puzzles. Me? I wear latex gloves, sit on the carpet or rug next to the newest deposit of fresh dog vomit and go through it carefully to find the missing pin. I've searched through 4 loads of vomit and there is NO pin!

Disheartened, I help Mike with his patient and he gives the IV injection in the squirrel's arm. I'm not sure if the injection was finished but that squirrel sure started to move! FAST! He woke up, scampered off the kitchen table and up the curtains! There he was chattering at us in a most annoyed tone .. flicking his tail the whole time!

Daisy, hearing the commotion, comes into the kitchen to offer her assistance.

So now we have a squirrel loose in the kitchen and the dog is going crazy, still with a pin inside of her. I am resigned to the notion that once Mr. Squirrel is captured, we'll need to take Daisy to the hospital to get x-rays and find where her pin is. Maybe I can use my endoscope and just take it out that way. Oooooooh. That would be nice!

Maybe we'll let the squirrel calm down and I'll start packing up the endoscope. Mike starts getting some bits of fruit and seed mix to entice the squirrel down from the curtain rod. Daisy stops her dancing around and needs to vomit once again.

HOORAY! There it is! The final vomiting effort brought forth the much sought after straight pin!

The squirrel started his way down the curtain and Mike scooped him up in a thick towel. We have a puppy crate which was purchased to house a seagull we picked up around the corner from the Cleveland Clinic several years ago. (Yeah. I know. Another story.) So, Mr. Now Very Alert and Active Squirrel was placed into his new accommodations with fruits, seeds, nuts, water and some soft bedding.

He continued to look good and was released in the backyard the following day. He thanked me by dumping out all the seeds from 3 bird feeders. He must be familiar with our yard because he was found just around the corner soon after his car accident. I saw him again two days ago and was getting his fuzz growing to cover his bald patch.

Now that was more like the normal routine here in the craziness we call home.

~~~~~~~~ The End~~~~~~~~

~Worry not that no one knows you. Seek to be worth knowing.~

C3D

Comments (66)

• youreit
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, Pookie! What a little darlin. I hope she's feeling better, Sandy. Amazing what a little cuddling with a hair dryer can do. LOL Hmmm, that sounds pretty good right now. My Pookie would freak out at the sound...if I used one. :D

Blue heelers are such awesome, stout little dogs! I had no idea they had such huge mouths, though. Did your voice echo when you looked in there, FTM? LOL

Chicka, no mail! :( Daisy withdrawals, here. :D

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandy ~~~~~>Hairdryers are very unreliable appliances. They short out, get hot and can cause fires. PLEASE do be careful! :-)

Brenda, it was just a story about a stuffed animal avalanche. LOL! One guess who started it.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warning Chickie. You are right about hairdryers. I know they have improved over the years what with the addition of the transformers. It used to be fairly common for them to spit fire or blow a curcuit and it took a few tragedies for the powers that be to clamp down on them. I don't leave the room.
    Pookie seems to have stopped bleeding internally for now. She must have had some sort of growth or block in her intestine that began to break up if I remember my medical warnings. When I called the vet, he said she was just too fragile for any of the procedures he could do. He thought it might have been a result of the Slippery Elm syrup we started to give her to help her insides work better. DH just bought her a new kitty approved heating pad. Whatever did we do before online shopping? The old one started getting a hot spot. I have the new one on a pad that lets air under it and put a fleece cover on top so its pretty much like the bed only I can dump the bedding in the wash.
    I do more washing than when we had babies in diapers.Which reminds me, DH just ordered diapers for her so of course it stopped. I wonder how she will handle that indignity. Is there a cream we can use on her bottom? Everywhere the mess stuck the hair came out so I'm sure she itches and burns.
    BTW, Chicky, I have covered the carpeting with waterproof fabric blankets for the duration and got a "Little Green Machine" for spots. I keep thinking of your white carpeting and upholstry. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

sandy, could ;you get pooky to do a public service announcement for other felines? it isn't good to leave them wet, but every cat i had freaks out...with the exception of the old man after he lost his hearing. i was even able to vacuum him after that :)

are ;you saying the slippery elm made her bleed?? hmmmm. that poor baby! do you hve any hypercal cream, i am unsure of the spelling. or even rescue remedy cream. past that, i will let chicka answer your question!

as far as heelers, ever notice how the corners of their mouth are way behind their eyes? they look like they are laughing.

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FTM, you give sound advice all the time! Your suggestions and opinions are every bit as valid and important as those of any one else here. What ever I may suggest is by no means the ultimate answer ... just another piece to the puzzle. We all want Pookie to do well (and hit those fabric blankets!) :-)

Poor Pookie! I think the slippery elm concentration was too strong for her. In low concentrations it is for diarrhea and intestinal problems. When the concentration is increased it has a powerful laxative effect. Some individuals may also be allergic to it.

Pookie has diaper rash. You can gently clean her bottom with a dilute baby shampoo solution and apply a little Neosporin, or antibiotic cream, Bag Balm ... something to her skin. You need very little on a gloved finger and gently massage it in. If she should want to clean herself, most will be absorbed through the skin and if she licks some that won't hurt her. You might need to do that only once or twice to clear her skin. Applying a thin coat to her bottom may make it easier to keep her clean and prevent her skin from getting irritated again.

Be careful if you want to give her people KaoPectate for the diarrhea. They changed the formula and it now has aspirin in it which can be toxic for kitties. There is a kitty KaoPectate available, which is the original people formulation.

Hmmmmmmmmm. I tried to send you another e mail, Brenda. Maybe Mr. i Village has problems with the service? I know I sent FTM a couple of e mails several months ago and she didn't get them either. :\-(
  • sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

FTM, the vet and I were just throwing out possibilities not probabilities. The lactobacillis was helping only in large quantities and the Slippery Elm was supposed to add more fiber and soothe her intestines without being as harsh as psyllium. I don't think the timing was right to have it actually cause the bleeding. She didn't get much since she has lost so much weight. Remember she has some sort of growth or tumor in her upper abdomen that is more likely to be the source. The first symptom, the tarry stool, is supposed to come from the digestive system or upper colon and the bright or red blood from the lower colon. Is that right, Chicky? It sounds like I'm trying to make someone think I know something. Now that it has stopped I'm worried it will go the other way again.
    As for her reaction to the dryer, I am as surprised as anyone. It was so strange to see her swaying in front of it and ducking her head to get her ears in the warm air. Then she would close her eyes and stick her face in it. Then she turned around and got the other end warmed for a while. The thing I wished I had a photo of was as soon as each part of the fur got dry it would stand on end. It looked like the experiment in science class where you put your hands around a glass globe that had an electrical charge and made you look like the Bride of Frankenstein.
    Chicky, thanks for the suggestion for a cream and the Kaopectate. I'm always afraid to try people products for fear of just the kind of thing we've been going through. She got only half a dose and I think even that may have been too much, as you say. She did like it though. Apparently it is sweet. While I was running an errand this evening I told DH to give her some of the Gerber meat for babies. He gave her the whole jar and she ate it all! Sandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I forgot to say I love the Daisy and squirel stories. They bring back some hilarious memories.
    Blue Heelers? Are those the hounds that hunters say have a soft mouth? Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

thank you for that reassurance chicka, but seriously, i have no education to back up my opinions. :)

sandy, thank ;you for that mental picture of pookie facing into the dryer! i admit, i did forget a lot of her history. so glad to hear she ate the gerber meat.

blue heelers are also known as austratian cattle dogs. my "blue" was actually a white based cattle dog. they are most known for herding by heal nipping so they probably don't have soft mouths.

humans are often mistaken for having hooves.

i believe retrievers often have them, and there is a way to train them further for a soft mouth.

• youreit
    17 years ago

I got the email, Chicka, and sent a reply, as well! :D

Awww, kitties in diapers! Cats are so regal (well, most TRY to be regal), I just can't imagine. Oh, the humanity! LOL Poor little Pookie. I would give a lifetime supply of kitty bottom cream to have seen her bad hair day (albeit dry). Pets never fail to amaze me. What a cutie!

Oh, I almost forgot that I had an Australian cattle dog for about 2 minutes! I got him as a puppy, named him Badness, and he lived up to his name. LOL Actually, it was the first time I was on my own from living with my folks, and I just couldn't keep (up with) him. A very nice rancher took him in, though, and the last I saw, he was doing what they love best - running like mad after, and around, the herd. :D I'll never forget that smile, though! *sniffle*

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FTM...... You are doing great things. PLEASE do NOT change a thing!!! :-)

Brenda ..... I'll check things out. :-)

The dark Pookie poop is an indication of digested blood. That DOES happen higher up in the intestinal tract or from the stomach. Vomit that looks like coffee grounds or black in color may be an indication of bleeding in the stomach or very first part of the intestines. The dark color indicats that the blood was digested.

The fresh blood look of the poop is a sign that there was bleeding from the lower end of the intestines. It *could* be from some intestinal abnormality like a tumor that started to bleed or maybe it was from straining because of the diarrhea.

Awww. Pookie! :-) The jarred baby food is great. So is something like A/D the prescription Science Diet or Nutrical.

C3D :-)

• debraq
    17 years ago

Hi, I generally go to the seed exchange forum, but have been thinking for a long time to add a water feature to my garden. I saw on one of those landscape shows where they used a cow trough for the container. That would be just perfect for me to handle, not too big, not too small. Just right.
    So I came wandering over here to the Ponds and aquatic plants forum.
    Now, I like a good story just as much as the next person,so I thought I'd stop in for awhile. But never did I expect to be so entertained.
    You guys are sooooo funny, I laughed and laughed at each of your stories and *Yes*, I would pay money to read the next "Daisy" story.

I know we gardeners are sort of...well,...our own breed of funny..kind of nutty, maybe a bit off the wall to other people but now I think it may be even deeper than I orginially thought.
    And I thought the "Winter Sowers" were a strange breed,lol.
    Now I want to join your group,haha, please please!

I have two pets, "Honey" a wonderful female dog long haired mixed breed that has the face of a fox and the tail of a collie, who adopted my daughter and I when we went to the local shelter. She is the sweetest thing, about 55 lbs of pure hugs and kisses.
    A couple of years later, we adopted "Judo" from a little boy down the street whose mother told him to "get rid of that kitten, now". I sopke to her and assured her that we definitely wanted him.
    He is on the smaller size, pure black, not even a single white hair anywhere on his body, with eyes that glow yellow.
    A little spooky, but he has never extended a claw to anyone.
    Honey met Judo, and all went well. I knew Honey is a mothering type and would love the new kitty.
    She did, right away.
    But....... isn't there always a but when it comes to cats and dogs?
    Every once in a while, Judo will start running across the floor, take a flying leap and land on Honey's neck! He uses his claws to hold on and he starts to bite the poor dogs neck!
    Not to draw blood or anything.It seems like he is doing it just for the sheer fun of it. There is no rhyme or reason as to when he'll do this.
    Honey wimpers and cries and I have to go and seperate the cat from Honey. Sometimes its hard for me to get him to let go. Its ridiculous, Judo is all of 7 lbs, soaking wet! Meanwhile this 55 lb dog is crying and I swear to the good Lord above, that the cat has the most devilish smirk on his face...
    What to do??
    I yell at him, but he just swishes his tail and walks away from me.Meanwhile poor poor Honey is just trying to live life.
    BTW, Judo eats Honey's dog food too! And Honey lets him! Guess we know who is the boss of this family!!!

oh yeah, does anyone know where I can find that cow trough?roflmao......
    Debra Q
    p.s. You all can bet I'm coming back to read the next "Daisy" (AND Pookie, sniff-who I hope is feeling better) story...You guys are the best!!!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

welcome debra q! great story :)

now if only i can figure out how to get romeo to stop living up to his name with frost. yeesh, he is robbing the grave here! he keeps waking her up from sleep, like a typical man, for whoopie. this 12 year old cat is not interested in a 5 year old. all i hear is a bloodcurdling indescribable growl (how does such a small cat sound like a siberian tiger?) and that other sound that isn't a whine, yowl or scream or spit...what is that!... like sasquatch is after her. can i please sleep!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Another welcome, here, Debra! Poor Honey! You know, I'm thinking a spray bottle filled with water and a piece of cardboard (to protect darling Honey's head when dealing with Judo, of course). :D I bet Judo would let go REAL quick, if he's like most cats and detests water. If he likes getting sprayed...I'm not sure. LOL

LOL @ Romeo! He is so Fabio! Frost should press charges and get a restraining order. :D I bet those noises are so scary to wake up to!

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! Welcome on board, Debra! Glad that my stories of insanity did not scare you away. :-) PLEASE do post some of your stories too.

I came home the other day and Daisy was chasing one of the cats. She chased him into our daughter's bedroom and he jumped up on the windowsill.

She has a net suspended from the ceiling which is full of stuffed animals like beanie babies. The cat jumped into the net and his added weight was too much and the net ripped causing an avalanche of stuffed animals ........

Look out belowwwwwww ........ !

Approximately 50 stuffed animals came cascading down on the hermit crab's 55 gallon terrarium and the dresser and floor. Good thing there is a screen top covering their home. The screen is to keep Bruno the cat from visiting them up close. LOL!!! Bruno will jump in within moments of the screen being removed when the crabs need to have their house attended to.

~~SIGH~~ I was home less than 3 minutes before this happened.

But my gosh Daisy is sooooooooooo cute!

Pets ARE relaxing. Daisy is ....... crazy! :-)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Hey there, Debra. Welcome to the club, group or collection. I'm never sure just what to call the bunch that winds up here. It changes over time but the self important ones leave eventually for better hunting grounds or the moderators send them to visit Micky (Mouse that is). That doesn't mean we can't get rancorous. I've received a few warnings myself.
    Most of the regular posters here are "really laid back" as a friend told me not too long ago. I think maybe she meant a bit crazy(she was referring to me in particular) and was trying to be diplomatic. LOL! We have our causes and passions to share but for the most part we just enjoy each others company.
    As for the cattle trough, the best place is one of the farm and feed supply stores in your area. I'm assuming you live on the eastern side and they exist there. Sometimes they will deliver. If not, they can be mail-ordered and shipped to you but that can be expensive. It's cheaper to lease a lemon and haul it yourself. I'm sorry that pondmaninfl is no longer posting. Scott raised trough ponding to a high level but you will find others here. Gotta go, Pookie just fell off the heating pad and can't get up. Sandy

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Hi Debra, I have stock tank ponds (and a liner pond), so do many others here. Ditto what Sandy said, Fleet Farm, Menards, Home Depot, and local farm supply stores all carry them. I LOVE mine! It you don't want to sift thru our stories try a post in discussions. Otherwise, welcome! Stay and browse, and we're always up for a good story!

• debraq
    17 years ago

Oh,thanks soooo much for all of them very warm welcomes and great advice about both my animal friends and the water trough.
    I've been a bit busy here, haven't been online til today but kept thinking about Crazy Daisy and her friends.
    I can't wait to be able to come back and stay awhile.
    Deb

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Lord. Thou hast blessed us with a lovely dog named Daisy. She is crazy. Please, Lord, give us strength. Amen.

We went shopping yesterday for some bird seed and other items. A five pound bag of seeds was left on the kitchen table. Mike also bought an orchid that looks like it was on steroids with 4 ft. spikes and huge leaves!

Now he's watching, ughh, football and I'm sort of watching a movie and sort of playing on the computer. Daisy was playing with her rubber chicken and I was throwing it for her down the hall and she'd bring it back. Fun! :-)

Hmmmmm. She's been missing for a little while. It's quiet. *TOO* quiet. I summon up some inner strength and go to find her.

OMG! Who was murdered in the kitchen? Did Charlie Manson escape? Did Daisy eat one of the cats?

Wait. .... That isn't blood on the cabinets, floor, rugs, Daisy's face. It is ketchup! There must be 8 ketchup packets chewed open and squeezed out all over the kitchen!

She isn't a bad doggy. She did attempt to clean / cover the mess with the five pounds of birdseed she opened and spilled on the floor.

Hmmmmmmm. That didn't quite work so she got the paper towel roll and used that too. How could she do so much Daisy-ness in a few short minutes? It could not have been more than 10 minutes!

It may be days or weeks before I find and clean away all traces of her ketchup taste testing. She was trying to help when the clean-up was going on too.

Oh Lord. In Your infinite mercy, give me strength. Amen

C3D

• youreit
    17 years ago

Oh, DAISY! LOL @ TOO quiet! What about the orchid?? Did she....? She's so naughty. Funny, but naughty. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

hmmmm, it had been quiet. i was wondering when daisy was going to strike again! chicka will be canonized in the canine world very soon :)

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL! You know what it's like. Normal activity and all the noise and chatter and then there is quiet. Real QUIET. Oh. Oh! Something has to be up and it usually isn't good.

The orchid is a monster and was safely with the others in a Daisy-proof area.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Do you keep Daisy's nails clipped? Lady, our dalmation from the animal shelter turned out to have had water rescue training and tried to rescue me from the bathtub with the result being three 1/4 inch punctures in the bottom of the new fiberglass tub. It was quite a surprise to settle into the nice hot water and suddenly have 45 lbs of dog in my lap. BTW, the door was closed and locked until she heard the water splashing.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

typing too hard to laugh! oops, you know what i mean. that"s the best one i have heard, sandy...i'm dying here.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

perhaps you were having a little too much fun making waves, sandy? :)

weeeee, to the other end of hte tub....weeeeeeee.....weeeeeeee

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL!!! Sandy! Oh dear! What a disaster that must have been!

I've had a cat or two over the years join me in the tub but not a dog. Hmmmmm. Daisy and nail clipping. How do I put this nicely?

Daisy BITES! Or at least she did the first two times I trimmed her nails. I had a huge bruise on my arm for almost 4 weeks from the first time. We have had to do de-sensitization for Daisy and her biting if-you-touch-my feet-or-ears behaviour. So far we are doing well with it.

C3D no bites today

• youreit
    17 years ago

Biting and scratching and tub diving, oh, MY! Hey, cats in the tub, THAT'S amazing. My kitty hears the water going, and she's outta there. LOL

My dog Red would bite, too. Even after they put a muzzle on him, he left a gnarly monkey bite on the vet's arm. She immediately handed me a card for professional dog training. He'd have to receive his rabies shot from the back of the pickup truck, and even then, he was a weapon of mass destruction. I think I'd have to double bolt the bathroom door if he liked bathing with me. :D

Brenda

• sheepco
    17 years ago

I've never had a cat that liked water, but I did have one named "Preston" that used to race around the house and skid on the throw rugs. One day he was streaking around and skidded the bathroom rug straight into the side of the tub. Instead of crashing into the side, Preston nimbly launched himself mid-skid up and over the side and into the tub. You can only imagine his surprise to find that while he had been roaring around the house, I had been filling the tub in preparation for my bath! I don't even think all four feet touched the bottom before he levitated 3' straight up and then outta there with a look of mortification on his face! I was laughing so hard I couldn't even look for him 'til later. Found him under the bed glaring at me like it was MY fault...sheesh, there was only 4" of water in the tub, it wasn't even full yet!

S

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

priceless!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I think Lady was totally shocked that the water was HOT. She did have sensitive skin. From then on if I left the door ajar so she could see me everything was ok. We had to buy her a kiddie pool so she could play in the water and boy did she play. Sometimes I had to refill it 3 or 4 times in an afternoon. We had a small above ground pool for the boys at that house and she would try franticly to climb the ladder. We were afraid we could get her into the 4 foot deep pool but not out. Sandy

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

Gary Larson knows Daisy??? Who would've thunked it?!?!?!
    {{gwi:163744}}

:-)

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! I think he signed the guestbook at her website. She looks so much fuzzier in real life though.

Thanks Semper. I needed that! :-)

3DChick

• sheepco
    16 years ago

LMAO! I guess she's a celebrity now, even though we've known all along she was a star!

• hnladue
    16 years ago

Like the hair Chicka!!

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!! Oh, that's perfect! Funny how, when I pictured Chicka in "real time", I never imagined a mumu. :D

Brandy

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

LOL! I knew I would go to the 13th level of hell for posting that picture of Camp Nappy. Oh well, it's just the same...
    {{gwi:163750}}

• Ima_Celery
    16 years ago

ROTFL! x 13, Mr. Fi. I love the Far Side! Did you know Mr. Larson had originally wanted to be a veterinarian?

You would think that by now C3D's hair wouldn't react like that at anything Daisy does. But the muumuu? My complete lack of hair? I suspect there's been some Photoshop work done here.

Working hard, Marco? Hot enough for you? We're sending you a little helper for P3. :-)

{{gwi:163752}}

She looks ready for you, doesn't she? The question is, are YOU ready for her? LOL!

Mikey

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL! How appropriate is THAT, June 20th! :D

Oooo, oooo, I'm ready for Daisy, ME, gimmee!! *raising my hand in class*

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL! Brenda! :-) I suspect Semper might try give us the address of the California office of Semperville. Please be warned, Daisy got a new squeaky rubber chicken today. She is armed and knows how to use it!
    *~*~*WHACK!!!*~*~*

• semper_fi
    16 years ago

" I suspect Semper might try give us the address of the California office of Semperville."

It's like she *KNOWS* things! Eerie, no?!

Alright, being the fair XY that I am, I decided to spin Daisy's Wheel of "Fortune" (275kb file) to decide who should end up with this lovely...umm... gift. Yeah, that's it.

CONGRATS BRANDY!!! Looks like Youreit. :-)

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

EEEEEeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk! ((OH crap! My hair poofed out and up again!!))

I know who not to play against in Vegas. :-) How does Semper come up with these videos?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Mike was sending Daisy to help dig a pond or shred a liner, rescue some water lilies or see how many kitty heads she can stuff into her mouth. Once her help was no longer needed and Semperville was, uh, Daisyed to the best of her fuzzy abilities, she was going to be heading back to Camp Nappy.

Well ... if you think you can do anything ponding without Daisy's help, Semper, I'm sure Daisy will be happy to do the same for Brenda. If we open the door right now she should be in your pond by Noon your time Brenda. LOL!

Poofy

• youreit
    16 years ago

LOL!!! Bring it on! Baby needs a new pair of shoes! (Or it sounds like "baby" will after Daisy's visit....) You know, it's spooky how we're on the same wavelength. I was JUST thinking how the pond would look SO much better without water in it!

On a side note, a neighbor bully cat got in the yard yesterday and beat up my Pookie kitty! Pook informed me this morning that she would like to hire a female guard dog, but not just ANY guard dog. She would prefer one who will, at the slightest hint of trouble, carefully stuff Pook's head in her mouth. She mentioned something about identity theft, and how important it is to protect facial identity. Anyway, what Pook wants, Pook gets! :D

Brenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Mikey, glad to see you've finally caught on to hanging those yummy plants above the snout level of a daisy! 'Course you can see by that smile she'll figure out how to get 'em anyway!

I think that Murphy and Daisy would have SO much fun together (I can just see them, racing around the yard, one on each end of a 8' length of new garden hose)...but we humans would all be hauled off by the guys in the white coats within 15 minutes!

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awwww, Sarah... Your ankle injury would probably have healed faster under the watchful eyes of Daisy. Daisy, crazy as she may be, *knows* when someone isn't feeling well. For example, Mike got hurt in a bike accident last week. Nothing serious just scratched up and bruised and lots of extra sleep time. He'd always wake up with one of Daisy's stuffed animal toys or a semi-chewed rawhide in front of his face.

That is true love to give someone your rawhide AND soften it up to make it easier to enjoy! If something like that can't make you feel better, nothing can!

Good that Daisy is a smaller dog and she never can fully stuff a kitty head in her mouth, but oh she does try! She would probably run off the Pookie bully. If the bully tries to escape by climbng a tree she does trees too. Daisy can climb our willow trees to a height of 6-7 feet now! This spring she only did 4 ft. but she is in daily training and takes it very seriously. That and pulling cattails from the pond so they can dry on the lawn. Get that all over tan, dontchaknow?

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Hi Chickadee, Really sorry to hear about you being bitten when clipping Daisy's nails. My little schnauzer was like that too. So i rolled up a long tube sock and stuck it over his head and pulled the toe part down so he could breath and it works sooooo good for me. I dont know why he wont bite me through the sock but he never has not once. I also used it on my kitty and the neighbors kitties when they needed a trim. It seems to paralyze them because they cant see or something. I just know it really works for me. I dont want you to be eaten alive : ) We like you to much. What else has that naughty but pretty girl been up to lately? Do you have any plants left in your pond? I will definitely be praying for you not to be eaten by your beautiful dog :-)--------bonnie

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Bonnie. The sock method sounds like a great idea! We have do lots of desensitization and positive reinforcement for our crazy Daisy. She is no longer the evil snarling toothy savage when she has her feet handled or nails clipped or getting brushed! It was just too potentially dangerous with little ones around.

We have water lettuce in the pond. Seems that's all Daisy does not care for. Water lilies? Cattails? Drift wood? Anything else? Nope! Gotta take 'em out of the pond so they don't drown. It all looks so much better when they sun themselves in the lawn. SIGH

• youreit
    16 years ago

OMG, if you try the sock trick on Daisy, I will definitely expect a pic!! LOL!! Her head is pretty big...hey, maybe a ski cap! *LOL!!! @ tears rolling down my face*

Ahhh, Daisy. She's a pond angel, to be sure. :D

Brenda

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

Oh you poor darling! How do you control yourself? I would be a screaming banshee if i had done all that work to have it all dragged out to cook in the yard. You must be a saint or something! LOL :-)---Im glad you like the sock idea. I have two dogs and both get the sock method. My oldest is a three year old Shepard mix we adopted from a shelter, her name is Mary. She will practically bring the sock to me and she always wants to go first because they get many many goodies afterward. Bribes always work :-)----Then Tigger is our little black and white boy mini schnauzer and he used to eat us up when we first got him. He just turned one in may. He did not trust us at first and if we touched him or tried to hold him he would bite us! Thank God thats over with and he is our little Velcro dogie now. Always hanging on somebody wanting to be petted. He still gets upset about getting his nails clipped but he wants the treats soooooo bad, so he is much nicer and no biting anymore just growling but thank goodness for the sock. I use an old stretched out one that the elastic is soft so as not to hurt our babies just paralyze them. HaHa Then with Mary i drape a small blankie or towel over her legs so as not to kick my eyes out because i trim them on their backs. It takes about five minutes per dog and then we have a big treat party about three treats per dog and everybody gets a new rawhide chewy afterward to go take their anxiety out on. And i keep my skin and eyes intact :) The only problem i have with Tigger now is when we go out for a potty break he tries to catch baby birds and he bite a baby robin this year and killed it. I cried. I had no idea the little bird was even in there but he knew right away and just grabbed it and shook it. It was over in an instant. I put a muzzle on him now when we go out because i dont want that to happen again. Glad Daisy doesn't hurt them thats really good just gives them a slobber bath :-) Sorry i talked your head off, I better go---------bonnie

• chickadeedeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Brandy .. I don't have a sock big enough to put over Daisy's head. Maybe one of those orthopedic stockings but so far she is being a good girl as far as not biting or being evil. LOL @ Daisy in a ski cap! I think she needs one while she is raiding the pond. Thank God she has not needed to rescue the tadpoles Mike brought home over the weekend! Then again, I'm not sure she has seen them.

Awww Bonnie. So sorry about the little Robin. :-( Daisy catches birds and brings them inside. She lets go of them and they start to fly in the kitchen or bedroom or where ever.

Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing.Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. Pets are relaxing. .........

• youreit
    16 years ago

Oh, and I can see me trying this sock method on my Pookie kitty. I'd have to see if the hospital had computers so I could keep in touch with all of you. :D

But it really is a good idea! The trick would be getting the sock over the head originally. My dog Red would have taken off running if he saw us coming at him with one, but he was a bad boy.

Daisy is so gentle with critters. Maybe she could set up an outreach program for puppies like Tigger. "Today, we're showing Mom that we can save things! She already knows we can eat stuff. Hey, no head shaking back there!"

She who loves Daisy

• bonnieblueyes
    16 years ago

LOL , I would have Tigger there in a second! I hate to let him out now knowing he's looking for his next victim even if he is muzzled. The trick to the sock is, dont let them see it and have it rolled already. HaHa :-) Its a sneak attack. My oldest dog Mary loves the sock she immediately starts to drool. Totally associates it with food. Kitties never like it and will run if they see it. Good luck-------bonnie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES