Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

my wand is rusting, i am such an idiot!

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

i could just feed myself to the biggest python i can find!

i have been watching the mud puddles at work...tadpoles drying up in the sun. yesterday, i drove past one (they are on our gravel road) adn there was hardly any water left in it compared to the other day...and someone had drove through it. grrrrrr. well, they didn't know. anyway, the treefrog tads were in water barely covering their backs in some places. others were no more than 1 inch deep. the average area was 4" across. basically the size of a deer footprint.

so, i thought to myself (or denied to myself) they are literally stacked like sardines in this tiny amount of water so they should be ok in my 20-30 gal puddle at home. i brought a very large number home and added them to the others i had (just a few). i left even more than i took home.

today, i can barely see in there from the cloudiness. however, i am certain they died, even though i don't see any dead ones. the ones i had already have more pigment than the new guys. they had been in such muddy tan clay water they had little pigment at all. or, i assume that is the reason. they seem to gain pigment after about a week in my puddle.

i say they died b/c when i put them in they practically covered the bottom of my puddle, though they did have some room to spread out b/c they didn't swim around my rock. there should be so many in there, though, that they should be easy to find and they are not! they only had back legs and in my experience there is no way they would have morphed in 24 hours!

i wanna cry! then again, they were going to die anyway. today i checked again to get more to add to my emergency "pond." they had graded the road and dead ones were all over! then i came home and couldn't find the ones i got yesterday. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Comments (119)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

well it is amazing. if that is what it is those seeds were like 5 years old! and i don't recall putting them over there! i also said i didn't have any b/c what i put down was what i thougt, anyway, spotted touch me not. oh well.

brenda, pudger doesn't have a wedgie anymore! the first shot is a rear shot.

i am still worried about that spot. pudger seems tolike that plant. i talked again this am :)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pudger's spot looks much better today! almost gone. that is, if it is pudger...because pudger has a neighor! and they swapped plants (going by the spot). hey, now i know what frog poop looks like!

they were very active this a.m. and moving away from me. otherwise, i would have had a great front pose of pudger sitting up straight looking very alert.

{{gwi:168977}}

{{gwi:168980}}

pudger #2 escaped from that maniacal lady to deeper into the plant, so no pic. just imagine pudger on h/her original plant with a turd on the next leaf :)

• youreit
    17 years ago

LMAO!!! There's something about the word "turd" that just sends me over.

Well, speaking of "turd"...kinda, sorta. Guess what I found (and rescued, sans gloves, in case Andrea is reading this) in the toilet this morning? Pudger's long lost cousin, Poopie! Didn't get a pic, but...I don't think we need one. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

brenda, you are soooo there when i need you! thanks for sending me over!

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thats a great one "poo"!

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!!! @ 'Poo! That's kinda what I looked like when I found Poopie in the toilet. I was thinking, Oh, WHY did you have to pick THIS spot?! I considered trying to find some latex gloves, but he looked rather "drained". *giggle*

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

are you sure you don't want to post a picture of this poopie?

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!! Well, I don't want to get banned for posting pics of petite Poopie.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

just claim to be jeff corwin!

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!! *licking my fingers*

Love that guy.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lol brenda!

today's little guy messed with my mind. s/he was a deep mossy green,not that bright kelly green of usual. they must be able to adjust pigment even at this early age. it was sitting on the edge of my black half barrel liner and dove in the water when i walked by. such an adorable thing!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Awww! I've been getting the brownish ones in my watering can. Rather disconcerting when I'm filling it, and next thing I know, there are 2 eyes staring at me over the rim. LOL

The can seemed clogged last week, so I unscrewed the sprinkler part of it. There was little Mr. Water Logged, waiting for rescue. :D

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

I'm very happy to report that I'm seeing more of my little toads and I have some bigger tadpoles that aren't toads. I hope they are the green tree frogs. Oh, how I just love them. And I've been seeing two little spring peepers (I think) on my window at night now. :)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yaaaay, poo!
    lol, brenda!

i am so glad i went to the back door this a.m. there b/t my doors was a wayward treefroglet. the poor baby! you could literally see his bones jutting through under his porr dry skin. i could practically count the vertebrae. well, i dont know how long he was there.

i quickly gave him a dip in the puddle and set him at the plant that pudger used to be on. that should fatten the little one up. if the sun would have hit those doors before i saw him, i am sure it would be bye bye froggie. it gets extremely hot there bt the door and stormdoor, which face south and also gets reflected heat from the pation. oh, had that door not have a window, i probably wouldn't even seen it.

here's hoping the little raisin eats well. he was pretty frisky trying to get away from me so i take that as a good sign.

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Good rescue, Fairy! LOL @ little raisin!

Today, while mowing, I dodged a little raisin! (That's exactly what these tiny toads look like.) It was jumping so fast to avoid getting chopped up. I saw him just in time and swerved and barely missed him. Then I avoided that patch of grass giving him time to get to safety.

Oh, BTW, I recieved the cilantro seeds! Great packaging, I must say! And loads of seeds.
    Thanks soooooooooooooo much!!! :)

Well now, I'm off to do some research on fall cilantro, refrigerating seeds for spring, etc.

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

FTM,
    Here's what I gathered from my research:

Dry the seeds in a cool dry place.

Plant consecutively every 2 or 3 weeks.

Cilantro CAN be grown as a fall crop, especially in warmer climates!!! WhooooooooHooooooooooo

Now, these seeds seem moist, so how long do they take to dry? Do you know?

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yaay again, poo!

i think i had air dried my seeds last year for at least a week. i am sure the sprig i put in there saw its better days but the thought, eh? i noticed today that most of my plants are brown so the harvest may continue.

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

I had left the seeds outside to dry before I did my research and just over the day, they are pretty dry.
    I brought them inside to dry in the kitchen window where it's cooler. So, I'll leave them to dry anothr week or so.

Great! I'm happy. I can't wait. After planting, I should be tasting and smelling that wonderful aroma in about 3 or 4 weeks! :)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Got back from a visit to my folks' house Sun.-Tues., and I can't beLIEVE how many frogs they have around their house! And no pond, only the pets' drinking water dishes! They were on the house, around pots, in the grass, on plants...everywhere. I tried to get a pic of some all lined up on the squirrels' water dish, but Malone the pug was too quick for me. They all bailed when they saw his big head coming at 'em for a drink. LOL

Brenda

{{gwi:168982}}

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

These's nothing more precious than a big ole pug mug!
    What a cutie! :)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

look mom, no wrinkles! *except i have to lie back to do that*

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i found a little frog on the plant yesterday. i am hoping it is the little raisenette. aftera l, if it was pudger, pudger should be much larger and pudgier by now. or, could be another one, but what would be the odds that it isn't raisinette? yaaaaaay, looked quite "healthy."

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Yep, bet the little raisin has grown. I noticed there has only been 1 of the little ones on my window over the last few nights. It's bigger too and now looks like a green tree frog! Yipeeeeeeee! I haven't seen the snakes around lately either, but I'm sure they are lurking somewhere.

The owl must have gotten a really good laugh 'cause haven't even heard it.

Fairy, how big do toad taddies get before they morph completely? I've got two different size tads in the pond.
    I think they are different types (could be the same, but different batches). One is smaller and darker.

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oops. didn't mean to ignore you poo! toad taddies are tiny when they morph. tadpoles do not get as large as the treefrog ones and are even smaller than the tad when they morph. i'll venture they push maybe 1/4" morphed nto counting the legs. toads will look black under water but actually have some brown. treefrog tads get pretty large if you ask me...but not close in size to say a green frog or bull frog tadpole. lets see for trees..1/2" for body and 1-1/2" for tail (guessing). when they start to morph they also shrink and start to turn green.

now for what i was going to post: i still have little treefrogs morphing. i hope they fatten up enough for winter!

and on pudger's plant this week (which is now four feet tall, a foot taller than they say- the plant that is, not pudger!), a brown preying mantis (small one all of two inches maybe) pics are not the best, as usual! it was upside down, eating a fly...while i watched awhile. slow, like someone enjoying their food.

{{gwi:168985}}

{{gwi:168987}}

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Thanks Fairy. Cool pic of your praying mantis. I saw one on the patio a few nights ago. I know it will hang around. Plenty of buggies.

I think my tads are all morphed and gone from the pond. I really need more green tree frogs. The only little night time froggie left on my window must be a copes grey. It's definately not a green tree frog. I miss them so much!

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks, poo. aaaaw, we don't have green tree frogs. i think they are in southern illinois, though.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Speaking of frogs, I HAD to share a photo that's in this month's National Geographic. Aren't these the cutest little things you've ever seen?

(And I love your pic of the mantis, FTM!)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: NG Your Shot Selects

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks! i can't believe anyone can even see that mantis throught the fuzz.

that pic is just divine, brenda! you should post it separate so no one misses it. too precious :)

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Brenda, that is the cutest pic, ever! I'm not sure to believe they are real. They really look plastic, don't they?

Hey Fairy, I just snapped. Isn't that your 'mystery' plant that the mantis is on? Beautiful blooms!

And...I saw my very first green tree frog today!!! It let me pet it! I'll be looking for it tonight at the back light! I'm just a happy Poo. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Ok, I'm ok now. :p

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL!! Wildlife is fun. Tame wildlife is even more fun!

Hey, I have a brown mantis on one of my Salvias! I almost "deadheaded" him. I have a feeling that he's praying like crazy today. :D

I guess NG just has to take the word of the frog owner that they're not fake. I think the fact that they're gazing out the window makes me want to save them. :)

Brenda

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Yeah, if they really are real...how sad, what else could they be thinking? Let's see... maybe they're thinking, "Wow, I'm glad we're not out there in the elements, 'cause sunscreen might irritate our smooooooth, flawless skin!" or "Ya know Honey, we're two lucky amphibians, no having to be out there where all those nasty bugs fly around!" Maybe they're even saying, "Gee, I'm glad we're in captivity, 'cause our humans let us have freedom to roam on their window sills. Ya know we might be in luck today 'cause most captive bugs come to the windows also."

Ok, I'm done. :P

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

brenda! rofl! i caught the full implications of deadheading...oh, you ARE GOOOD!

yes, poo. that is said plant. note: it is a foot taller than they say it is supposed to be and still gaining. AAAAAAAAH! wait, i said that already. nice to know i repeat myself in all forms.
    congrats on your greenies. note: they may appreciate your hands being wet first sans the chlorine. or, would it disipate off hands fast enough?

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

my dilemma is still a dilemma! we are down to the 40's here. i still hvae a tad just developing the back legs. with the cooler temps, i am afraid there will be no small slow moving insects for it to fatten up on for winter. do they need to fatten up?

should i bring it in the house and try to keep it over winter? i tried that once and broke my heart while "killing" the little late bloomers.

on another note, that darn plant is nearly 5 feet tall! and, i found what experience tells me is racoon fur on my squirrel feeder.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Brenda, tame wildlife is not fun. (See my thread on Raccoons.) While I wish to touch occasionally, I fight the urge. I've had too many animals decide I'm either a soft touch or part of the group or their chosen person. I've had oppossum decide to come in and make themselves at home, raccoons that come and scratch at the door or window, deer that try to come inside or follow me around the garden to get treats and chipmunks that zip inside at the first chance. We've even had young squirrels climb up on us. Worse, pets sometimes desert their owners to come stay with us even though we don't encourage it. I've had a neighbor yell at me because her daughter's cat kept coming to our house. The chippers liked to steal my jewelry. The deer brought the ticks that gave me lime disease and tried to make our yard their winter home. The raccoons dance and play tag on my roof. I think they are nesting under the bathroom crawl space. I had to turn the hose on them to discourage them.
    The dictum that we change whatever we observe is true. Just try not to get involved. Sandy

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandy, perhaps you should become an animal communicator? or is that stuff just poopoo. (i amnot making light, btw)

• youreit
    17 years ago

I think she already is one, FTM! And she didn't even have to sign up or take classes! :D

I totally agree with you about tame wild animals, Sandy. It's a dream that won't (and shouldn't) come true for us animal lovers. As much as I'd love to be Dr. Doolittle (or Dr. Sandy Doolittle...deer following you, oh, my!!), I know it's just too dangerous...for us AND them.

FTM, I'm not sure about your little toad! I hope someone can help you out with that.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

for baby pics, see "ftm, its your birthday" :)

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

new pics of the little pudgers!

don't you just want to poke that belly and tickle those toes!!!! that is a foot sticking up on the left, just hanging (all blurry)

{{gwi:168989}}

1-2-1-2-1-2

{{gwi:168991}}

exercise program complete for today:
    {{gwi:168994}}

yes, you may have noticed the pudgers have a minimalist philosophy when it comes to decor (until they get bigger). their "tree" is in the back out of sight. if i had a miniature tv, there would be one. this little frog is quite the couch potato. the other one is active all over the place and would like roller blades for christmas.

• youreit
    17 years ago

I feel so terrible, because I can't see the little guy, FTM! Picture me with my face pressed up against the monitor, trying to find him, like one would look for those images in optical illusion books. LOL

I'm going to enlist the aid of the ever-helpful DH when he gets home from work. I'm determined to see it! :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

it isn't you , brenda. its my camera! say the word, and i will use paint prgm to circle. hint: look for the green. funny how "rocket" is still green. the other one turned to the brown coloration within the first week. although, it gets more green when in the "tree."

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

Brenda, on the right, the little guy is dangling from the stem of the leaf, right next to that circular thing that looks like a dish of oatmeal. Fairy, he's soooooo cute! Doing push-ups?

The reason I spotted him is that I don't have my glasses on yet, and therefore I see everything blurry. So your pictures look perfectly normal to me... heehee

:) Mary

• youreit
    17 years ago

I totally forgot to ask DH for help last night, but SO WHAT! Mary, you give great directions! Sheesh, I can't believe I missed that. He is so pwethuth, FTM!! I was looking for something a LOT bigger (at the leaf he's dangling off of, actually..it has eyes!). LOL

Next time, I'm going to try without my glasses. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lol! i just wish i had a better pic so the belly shot could be fully appreciated! move over, pilsbury. i didnt' realize how well they were eating. although, this one will eat 3 crickets right after the other and i dont' even know how there could be room!

guess you were expecting a larger frog, eh, brenda? :)

pretty close on the dish, mary. baby cereal for the crickets to feed on.

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i could be real ornery and post a pic of the other one on the leaf! :)

i can't even see h/her right under my nose from the blending greys and browns.

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL! Come on, be ornery! Once I found the little froggie, I realized that your pic wasn't THAT blurry, FTM. It was my sense of size (things may appear larger than they are) that had me thinking the leaf-with-eyes was the mack daddy frog. :D

It's great to hear they love crickets, since I moved some pots the other day, and found a multitude of them, large and small. The frogs have been singing their hearts out all over the yard, and I know they come up to where the crickets were, since that's where my watering can is. :D

I love yummy tummies!

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

challenge accepted! first, i have to figure out how to get a cam underneath the leaf :)

glad to hear you can stll enjoy frogs outdoors in november!

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well, the other one has changed back to green! oh well.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Green is good, though. Looks less like a little poopie. :D

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    Original Author
    17 years ago

funny you should mention that. one day it was tucked into the corner rim of my aquarium. i thought it looked like a little turd.

but, even when brown, there are so many interesting changing patterns adn color combinations.