Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Excitement and OHMYWORD

ademink
17 years ago

There's a big magazine in Indy called the Indianapolis Monthly (www.indianapolismonthly.com). I guess they are interested in doing a story on gardens of Irvington - the area where I live. This area is slated to become the largest historic district in the US.

Well, they are coming to MY yard to take photos on Tuesday night!!!!!!!!!!! --------- ???????????????? @#)(%)#(@*$ lol

I couldn't believe it! I got a call and the lady who heads up the Garden Tour for Irvington said IM mag wanted to know if they could come see my yard and take preliminary photos. I said yes but can they paint in some mulch? LOL She said, don't worry about weeding or mulching or anything...these are just preliminary photos.

YEAH RIGHT. As IF I'm going to NOT completely freak out and become obsessive the second I hang up the phone! So today I had 7 yards of mulch piled in the driveway and I'm going to be mulching for Jesus all weekend. LOL!! My DH is out of town so I called in a favor from my best friend.

Anyway, not to brag...but I'm really excited! I can't believe they want to see MY yard and put it in a magazine!!!! Mine?!?

To boot, I have a HUGE plant sale in my backyard the 22nd-25th to benefit my homeless nonprofit (www.pourhouse.org) and so I'm potting plants, watering, digging, weeding, mulching, going crazy...ahh!!!!

I just came in the house at 10...been out there since 7am...and I look like Dawn of the Dead. rotflol I am SO DIRTY - I mean, my face is dirt, in my ears...everywhere.

SLaphappy and hysterical right now...lolololol

ok, i'm done rambling. look at the bright side, at least i caught myself and didnt post this on the regular forum!

andrea

Comments (87)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Your garden is fabulous! No wonder you were chosen! :-)

You have inspired me to try better with my patch of dirt.

3D Chick

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

I set it on "slide show" and have watched it twice, once with Hubby.
    ***Today we went out and bought mulch!*** hee hee

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Gee, I'm sorry if I was in any way responsible for the 'wine cooler incident'! If I was having the kind of day YOU were having........well, I guess I'll keep my wino habits to myself from now on!

Congrats on the pant...I mean Plant sale! Way to go!

I really want to see the pictures too!

Thanks for your humor Andrea! And Good Luck! Sarah

• gw:obsessed-nj
    17 years ago

I've read so many wonderful things about your yard and pond; I would love to see your pictures!
    Linda

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Andrea, my fish totally support your use of alcohol. They like to unwind now and then with a Great Lakes Holy Moses White Ale.

{{gwi:170314}}

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

haaa!!! Now THAT is what I call "rock the fish"! Ok, when is the par-tay, girl?

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Andrea, it IS beautiful! And thank you for the pictures. How long have you been working on your gardens? Please say 25 years, then I won't feel like such a LOSER!

LOL ZC - were the fishies playing spin the bottle? Great picture!

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Uh...sorry...just a little over 3 years. LOL

• gw:obsessed-nj
    17 years ago

Thank you, Andrea, for letting me "walk" through your gardens :D They are simply beautiful! I really like the way you use boulders around the yard and I absolutely love your hostas...hope mine grow up to look that good. Your pond is soooo pretty! Definitely makes me want to go out and dress mine up, move my concrete benches into the hosta bed and buy stock in a mulch company!

Linda

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Yes, Andrea, your gardens are gorgeous. I could not make the pictures big, had to view them as thumbnails (oy, the eyestrain!) so I didn't comment before. I've registered at that photo site twice, thinking the first time didn't take. Turns out it just doesn't like my browser, so whenever I visit it it's a big headache. My own fault.

Jean, those fish are running my life.

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Those fish aren't koi about drinkin' some micro-brewed beer, eh?!

I hate to admit it, but I am familiar with {{gwi:170289}} with the big glassy bloodshot eyes. Reminds me of Super Bowl XL.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're so stinkin' funny. LOL I'm so conditioned to you that I turned on my muted speakers and hit "refresh" just in case you put funny sounds in the thread. hahahaha

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Now would I do such a thing??? :-)

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HA!!!!! Perfect.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

OH MY....my computer is possessed by homer simpson! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

andrea, what do i give you so you can invite me to your gorgeous pics? :)

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

All right girl! You know how to raise some funds!

Btw, I'm ready to look at your pics, whenever you have time.

:) Mary

• youreit
    17 years ago

LMAO @ that look!! That's about all I can muster at the moment. :D

Brenda

• gordon43812
    17 years ago

I would also love to see the pics. gordon43812@sbcglobal.net

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Mary and FTM...I need your email addy's, girls! Email me w/ them please!

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

I'm so impressed so much gorgeous stuff to look at! Wow Andrea!

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Is the magazine out yet???

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

How about now?

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Now?

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

rotflol...you are so in need of a rigid schedule

• grandmapoo
    17 years ago

Those sound effects get me everytime!!! Hubby always has the speakers turned up after listening to news, etc.
    My first thought is "something's comin' out of the monitor to rip my heart out" and the next minute I'm picturing Mark with a big ole smirk across his face! LOL

Soooooooooooo, WHEN is the magazine coming out???!!!

• youreit
    17 years ago

OMG, you guys & gals are killing me! I get the "heart in need of a defib" all the time. I have my headset sitting down on the tower, and it's turned way up (ok, so I love blasting the heck out of E.L.O.!). I'll hear this eerie sound from under my desk...WHAT the...??!! LOL

I bet the magazine is out now.

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

actually, it initially sounds like a cow mooing painfully, to me.

you got it andrea!

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

everything is just sooo beautiful, andrea! your photos alone are magazine worthy. i especially love the "tunnel" shot with the chairs in the distance. so inviting!

i have found a new oakleaf hydrangea variety. a dwarf with double blooms! i am seriously considering it.

• homegrownsc
    17 years ago

I'd love to see your pictures, please. cwhitman@pcbdsn.org
    I can't wait!!

• homegrownsc
    17 years ago

Andrea, Your gardens and pond are absolutely AMAZING and soooo relaxing (since I wasn't the one weeding and mulching like a madwoman)! I can tell you really love your garden...everything is so happy and healthy. Not only should your garden be IN the magazine, I think it should make the cover!! Gorgeous!!!

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, for those of you who remember this drama last year...I have an update!! LOL

They called me TODAY and want to shoot photos in TWO WEEKS.

WHAT????????????? THey nonchalantly call me...hi...remember us...yeah...we want to do the story and it will be on just you. so has anyone been in touch w/ you about this? LIKE WHO, MY MOTHER???? LOL i have heard from nobody for almost a year and they appear from out of nowhere!!!

i kept trying to get them to put it off a month so stuff would actually LOOK GOOD...maybe they didnt notice the freezing weather we just had that hosed all of the plants??? hellewwwwwww???

LOL

anyway...the yard obsession begins again...round two!!!!

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Excitement, ohmyword, and CONGRATULATIONS!

I bet *they* got requests to revisit your beautiful garden! I know I want to! :-)

WooooooHoooooooooo for Youuuuuuuuuu!

C3D

• youreit
    17 years ago

They heard about the pond rock removal! I sent them an email. :D Seriously, I hope you're satisfied with the outcome, Andrea! I also hope they post something about it online, so we can all live vicariously!

Brenda

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Your photos leave me almost speechless...Wow! Inviting, soothing...gorgeous! That was a pool??

Thanks for sharing and good luck with round 2!

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL>..Brenda, you nut...YOU told them!!!!!!!! Now if you just would've waited until the BD was in! hehe Seriously though, the water is starting to get cloudy. OMG.

Sheepco, you're so nice! :) Yep, it sure was a pool! This is what it looked like 4.5 years ago.

{{gwi:170354}}

{{gwi:170356}}

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

Remember, if they happen to mention some militant dude constantly calling them an harrasing them about writing this article, I know NOTHING and neither do you.

Name, rank, cereal is all you need to give them.

-Major Pain, Organic Weetabix

• youreit
    17 years ago

I hear they really like Kashi Go Lean Crunch! Otherwise, any high-fiber cereal is fine. (LOL @ militant dude!!)

Andrea, I hope your pond clears up before the interview! If not, you could just randomly mention Nessie sightings, then quickly move along to the Hostas. Or you could point out those "strange floating things in the shallow end." LMAO!

Brenda

• youreit
    16 years ago

Hey, did they visit yet, Andrea? Any floating poop incidents? Did the pennywort attack anyone? Are you drunk or sleeping it off? :D (I would be...) LOL

Brenda

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lmao...nope, not yet! ROFLOL...I forgot about the poop fondling incident! haaaaa!!!

The actual interview happened last Saturday and it went really well. The pics will happen this week or the next...????!!!!!!!#@)#($@#)($@#)$(U LOL

I don't know exactly when yet!!!

• youreit
    16 years ago

That's real kind of them to let you know the exact date(s) when they'll be tromping around on your (private) property. Maybe you should be drunk when they get there, or be fondling some poop - let them see how the other half lives. LOL Would serve them right for keeping you hanging for so long. :D

*waiting with "baited" breath*

Brenda

• fairy_toadmother
    16 years ago

lmao at fondling! congrats, andrea :)

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the photos were taking early on Friay w/ no incident to report - thank God. roflol! No poop fondling, no drinking and slugging someone...nuttin'! WHoohooo!!!

I'm not sure exactly when the issue comes out but I think in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted!

*giving Brenda a tic tac*

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops...forgot to post the website. not sure if the story will be on there or not...?

Here is a link that might be useful: Indianapolis Monthly Home

• zinniachick
    16 years ago

Wait, are you the quirky millionaire?? Why, I would never have dreamt you were quirky.

You know, I was just asking myself, What are the must-have motifs for spring? when I saw that very question was posed in the Indy Monthly advice column. Tell me they don't make up their own questions.

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LMAO - hilarious....I haven't even looked at the website yet. The Spring edition is still up there but I'll be in the Summer one.

Don't I WISH I was the quirky millionaire????

• youreit
    16 years ago

Must-have motifs for spring....oh, geez! It must be nice to worry about things like that, huh? LOL

I could just see Andrea..."Ok, poop is cleaned out of the pond (check), stop fish from dying (check), help my awesome homeless friends survive (check)....oh, must-have spring motifs! I knew I was forgetting something!" :D

It's bookmarked, and I patiently await the summer edition!

Brenda

• youreit
    16 years ago

Cripes, they don't have it on their website! Only "great idea - A dramatic change to an unwanted pool." Geez, it IS a great idea, and I want to see it! :D Well, I've SEEN it, but it deserves to be on the website...dang it all. *kicking dirt*

Brenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Can someone post the article for us?

• youreit
    16 years ago

I bet Andrea will, after she's done signing autographs. :D

Brenda

• ademink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Halloooooooo!!! lol I finally got a copy of the magazine on Saturday night. I will scan it tomorrow and post it here (if that works). See you tomorrow!!! :)