Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Garden hose suggestions

ademink
17 years ago

The bane of my gardening existence is dealing with the hose. When I go to stand before Jesus, I'm quite sure he'll have to have a chat w/ me about my colorful dialogue with the great yellow and green beasts. LOL

I have saved up and am going to buy new hoses. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for suggestions even down to the name brand. Here are my two existing gripes: HEAVY hoses and kink, kink, kink...UGH! I can't do soakers and have to use at least a couple hundred feet to reach the back of my yard (hundred year old house...one spigot..oh joy).

Would love any ideas! Thank you!

meeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comments (19)

• chickadeedeedee
    17 years ago

Wish I could be of help but I dunno. I know the last length of hose we purchased lasted a whole 13 minutes before getting chewed and needing repairs. :-)

Meeeeeeeeeeeee

• pondmaninfl
    17 years ago

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the contractor grade hose. They are a little heavier but are also tougher and don't kink so much if any.

G'day,
    Scott

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Stay away from the cheap hoses, they kink, but having never tried the really expensive ones, I can't comment on them. I buy mid priced ones in different lengths, and LOTS of those plastic quick connect thingies, 1 for every junction. That way I don't have to haul all 400 feet just to water the patio.

Same boat, 100 year old house, but TWO spigots :) 'Course only enough water pressure to run one...

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

i wish i had hoses like at work. they are heavy duty to stand up to high pressure. they are thick! and flexible and don't kink!

oh, and those labeled kinkles hose. nope. maybe kink resistant but certainly they do kink.

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

Hose envy. DH has like three hoses all spliced, taped, leaking and fixed so you can't disconnect them from each other or the one spigot!! I could stab him with a roof bolt every time I want to use it, them or whatever he calls it!

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ROTF....roof bolt!!!! sockmonkey, you are so scary and hysterical! LOL C3D, poor thing...you need an iron hose!

Great idea on the quick connect things!!!

See, the bottom line is I need to shell out some cash and I'm Dutch so I've always gone w/ the cheap, kinky hose before. LOL

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Dutch, cheap and kinky... well, I guess that about sums it up.

I buy the Sears Craftsman black rubber hose, about $25 for 50 feet. They are very flexible, and perhaps a bit heavy, but they don't stay frozen in a giant loop that takes out the hostas as you try to drag it... you do have to twirl it sometimes to get the kink out but I find them much easier to wrangle than anything else I've tried.

Floppy and easy. That's me.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

For some reason when I hit the backspace key while I was typing a response, it took me back to the Conversations selection page. I'll try again.
    Fibromyalgia makes you inventive or just plain lazy. I laid out the garden hoses with connectors and cutoff valves throughout the garden terraces and on the rooftop gardens. Camoflaged them where they were ugly and left them all year. You don't want to use rubber or cheap materials if they are exposed to the light since the UV breaks them down faster. A good quality UV resistant hose that is guaranteed to be kink free is not cheap but is a good investment. I have some that are 12 years old and are still just as flexable as new.
    There must be 20 or 30 different hoses on display at one store here. Materials vary from nylon and vinyl to rubber. Most seem to be made by Swann. They change from year to year sometimes and are made for lots of different uses. Read the label. Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

It's as though I'm back in the adult bookstore, hanging out with my friend Paul Reubens. But I'm not scared!

Be sure to let us know which one(s) you get, Andrea, because I'm tired of taking out the tenders while pulling/spinning/cussing/falling, too! One hoser with a splitter here. But as DH points out quite frequently, I'm far from easy.

Brenda

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Dutch, cheap and kinky... still LMAO!!! Best :) all DAY!

• maryo_nh
    17 years ago

HEY! I resent that!

Andrea, my DD&DSIL had one of those collapsibles. Didn't work well either. They now have one that curls itself up. Also has issues.
    I have my evil family of cheap and kinky, heavy hoses. I lay a series of them out in spring, scatter a little mulch over them, and put little ball valve type on-off thingies left right and center, so all I do when it needs watering is turn on the tap and adjust which section is open. There's a four-way valve at the faucet. (Our house is new enough, but we don't have enough water pressure to run more than one hose at a time.)
    One of my hoses, the long blue one, is supposedly kink free, but what that means is that the kink goes in easy and doesn't leave a dent when it comes out.

When it's time to take them in for the winter there's a lot of blaming DH going on here. Because he's never here when I want to take the hoses in. But! I use the nicest language, I swear! (heehee)

There are a few sections that stay outside during the winter, and I open both ends of those, they are on enough of a slope to drain themselves.

I have two new Home Depot hoses waiting to be put into service, I took *expensive!* middle-of-the-road ones for once.

It's IMHO just one of the struggles we all go through in life...

:) Mary

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LMAO...i love this forum. i'll never be able to use the hose again w/o laughing

"But! I use the nicest language, I swear! (heehee)"

I'll be you DO swear, Mary! lol

• jeanner
    17 years ago

I need lessons in "hose and shovel management". My hose is ALWAYS strewn across the yard, wrapped around the well pipe and the holding tank and keeping the wheelbarrow from running away. I've tried the reel hoses and the stands and given up. Ninety percent of the pictures that I take of my garden have either the hose or the shovel in them. I dread cutting the grass because first I have to untangle the hose and then wrestle it into a nice tidying loop, only to have it out again within a few hours. I need HELP!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I am SO guilty of leaving the tools, etc. out when I have to run in the house for something. A few years after we built our earth shelter house in Wisconsin I was browsing through a book remainders table and started leafing through a book on underground houses. To my shock I found a photo of OUR HOUSE! To my eternal embarrassment there was the shovel and lawn cart right in the middle of the picture. Sandy

• jeanner
    17 years ago

You found a picture of your house published in a book??? How cool is that!! I'm surprised they didn't get your permission though.

I do try to at least lean the shovel/rake/pitch fork against the house as I have stepped on them too many times and got wacked in the forehead with the handle.

• fairy_toadmother
    17 years ago

nothing embarrassing about that! it just means you work. i'd rather have a pic with my tools in it than the typical me being lazy in front of the tv.

ouch, jeanner. your description of your hose wrangling sounds like my vacuum cord. how it gets hung up is beyond me. even a tennis shoe will stop it!

my bad habit is not cleaning the soil, etc off my tools.

did you get your hose, andrea?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

The book was the least of it, Jean. We had an open house before it was even finished just to slow down the curious. We once had two busloads of rubberneckers appear in a snowstorm to do a tour for the Department of Energy. We got an award from the state for Environmental something or other. I would find wrapping from camera film in the yard and sometimes I would start to feel antsy and turn around to find someone staring through the greenhouse windows at me. In the beginning we could be eating breakfast and total strangers would walk in the door claiming to think it was a model house. Once the new was worn off a bit they would write letters and ask for a tour. Every year when the airshow was going on in Oshkosh we would get out of state visitors who just wanted to see the house. I figured if the book was on the remaindered table the author didn't earn enough to fool with it. Sandy

• pondmaninfl
    17 years ago

Jeanner, now we know what happened to your sense. :o)

Sandy, did the house not come with locks? :o)

G'day,
    Scott

• jeanner
    17 years ago

Scott, my sense was gone long before I ever stepped on a garden implement!

Sandy, it's time to move into the 20th century and post a picture of your house! Or mail me one and I'll post it!

My husband spent some time in Oshkosh when he owned an R/C company and they worked a trade show there. I never got to go to the one in Oshkosh (but I did get to go to Toledo - woohoo!!)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES