Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_bogger

bluegill photos

prairie_bogger
15 years ago

I should be dividing and fertilizing lilies this afternoon, but I forgot to get kitty litter to put them in and besides I don't really feel like doing it either :-), so..... I'm posting photos I took yesterday instead.

Here's a photo of Marty, the bluegill. He's named for Marthe (pronounced like "Marta"), our exchange student who caught him last year in a nearby farm pond. He has really grown in a year and is becoming quite territorial. If you look close you can see he's hovering over his "nest" where he's fanned away all the algae, etc. right down to the liner. I think he picked this spot because there were a few pieces of gravel that had fallen in to the pond right there and it gives his somthing to do, trying to sweep them away. :-) I've been surprised that he seems to like the deepest part of the pond (3.5') instead of the shallower (1.5') planting shelves to make his holes, since bluegills in natural ponds usually make them in relatively shallow water. He must get pretty frustrated that he can't make a deeper hole and that no female ever comes along and deposits any eggs after all his hard work!

{{gwi:178769}}

This one is my attempt at underwater photography. Unfortunately, Marty kept coming right up to the camera to investigate and I never got any good photos of any other fish. I think for this photo I used a plastic baggie to keep the camera dry and it's a little fuzzy. I also tried a clear rigid plastic container and a gallon glass jar. If I remember correctly, someone on this forum once used an aquarium that they stuck down in the water to got some good shots.

{{gwi:178771}}

Sherry

Comments (15)

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

hahaha what great pictures. I've wondered what a bluegill looks like. Its nesting behavior sounds like the sunnies (sunfish) we have up here, but a sunnie doesn't look like a bluegill.

Anne

• youreit
    15 years ago

Marty (a.k.a. Grumpus McGee) is SO handsome!! Hey, I love pugs, so "handsome" is relative. LOL I LOVE that underwater pic of him! GREAT shot. Thanks so much for giving me my smile of the day, Sherry!

Brenda

• Joyce
    15 years ago

He does look pretty grumpy! LOL!

• prairie_bogger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol-- Yeah, I was surprised at how ugly a bluegill actually looked when you see one face to face! I think Grumpus is a more fitting name for him. That or "Jaws"... I swear I hear the theme music whenever I get in the pond and he starts swimming over towards me. So far he's just rammed (hard!) into my leg and my shoe, but I wouldn't put it past him to take a bite one day...

Sherry

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

I love coming back to this post to see the face-on picture of the bluegill. It reminds me of a picture of a weird fish I once saw. It is called a blob fish:

{{gwi:178772}}

Anne

• youreit
    15 years ago

LOL!!!! Oh, Anne, that's hilarious! It reminds me of that comic strip character...which I can't think of now. I could have sworn his name was Zippy, but it's not the Pinhead Zippy....

Or...Jimmy Durante! LOL!! Love it! I love Marty, too, and I've saved his pic on my hard drive (if that's ok, Sherry?) so I can see him every day if I want. :D

Brenda

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Is it the king in one of the cartoons?

• prairie_bogger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Anne! He really does look like a blob-- sorta like it just melted there. And I think I've seen that face before somewhere too...

Brenda, if I'd known you were going to save the photo I'd have tried to hold the camera stiller to get a better shot! I do have the original 2.9MB photo, which isn't any clearer, just a bigger blur :-)

Sherry

• youreit
    15 years ago

It's Ziggy I was thinking of, not Zippy! LOL It just hit me as I was opening this page. :D

{{gwi:178774}}

Sherry, the pic you posted is plenty good for my viewing pleasure! I prefer the murkiness of it, because it somehow makes him look grumpier, if that's possible. Or even a little scary, but I don't want him hearing me say that. LOL

Brenda

• prairie_bogger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ziggy--of course. Too funny :-) I just had to google Ziggy to see what I could find and came up with the cartoon at the link below. I thought it was fitting. :-)

BTW- I took some much clearer photos of Marty yesterday and he doesn't look nearly as mad. Might be the angle of the photo, but it most likely is the lack of murkiness. Either that or he really was just having a bad day when I took that first photo...

Here is a link that might be useful: ziggy cartoon

• youreit
    15 years ago

Oh, that cartoon is perfect, Sherry! LOL Feel free to post more pics of Marty! I can't get enough of him. :D

Brenda

• prairie_bogger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Why Marty, is that a smile...?
    {{gwi:178776}}

then again, maybe not...
    {{gwi:178777}}

ok, ok! I'm leaving!
    {{gwi:178778}}

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Sherry,

What a handsome young fellow Marty is. hahaha

Are those photos also underwater? I'd love to try that some day. Maybe I'll turn my fish tower the other way around and use that.

Anne

• prairie_bogger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anne-
    Yes, they were taken "underwater" using a rigid plastic container submerged just below the surface. I'm always afraid I'm going to submerge the container too far and get my non-waterproof camera wet.

I think your fish tower would work great-- be sure to send pics if you try it!

Sherry

• youreit
    15 years ago

LOL!! I'm really falling for Marty! He's such a handsome, protective little devil. *swoon*

Those pics are SO clear, Sherry! I hope you have Marty for many years to come. He's like a rock star! :D

{{gwi:178779}}

Brenda

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting