Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tootseug

Introducing Water lettuce w/algae spores inmy pond

tootseug
10 years ago

I just purchased a couple of water lettuce and a couple of water hyacinth. The place I purchased it did have some string algae and what looked to me like blanket weed/algae. The only algae I have at this time is just a very small amount on the bottom and sides of my pond as I recently vacuumed the pond and totally cleaned it out. So, I am wondering about introducing these new ones into my pond, as I don't want to introduce a variety of algae that is not presently there.

I am wondering if I should pre-treat the new plants in a 5 gallon bucket with algae fix, or hydrogen peroxide? And if so, what dilution of Peroxide or algae fix should i make considering the 5 gallon bucket of water?

I'd appreciate any suggestions from you experienced ponders.

Thank you very much.
Patti

Comments (2)

• kalevi
    10 years ago

Algae spores are airborne. No matter what you do, your pond will get them. It is the condition of the water that determines what algae and how much grows in the pond. Don't worry about it too much.

• tootseug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks kalevi! Guess I got a bit paranoid yesterday. What I ended up doing before I got you reply, was: w lettuce doused 4 minutes in dilute solution of water and bleach, then for w hyacinths, did 4 min in dilute water and hydrogen peroxide. Rinsed well. Dilututions approx 1/4 c to 8c water. Hope they live. They look fine today. But that's really good to know about the airborne aspect.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations