Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Pond Needs Work! Where to start...?

Debbie Downer
11 years ago

Well, its time to get this pond working better. There�s other things I need to be doing with my life and I�ve been struggling with this several months now.

This new one is about 800 gallons. Ranges from 12-42 inches deep � about 6-7 feet diameter ovalish shape. Have a 1200 gph pondmaster pump with about 5 feet of tubing up to the waterfall area (actually waterfall is not built yet, water just comes gushing out tube into pond.) + the 24" submersible filter which is in front of the pump. This filter is the square box type with charcoal and bio filter inside. It is a royal PITA because you have to go wading to get it out to clean, and then the muck spills out back into the pond as your trying to lift it out of the pond

This is basically same technology I used successfully in my smaller 150 gallon pond for many years, but is just not very functional for this new larger size pond. Obviously I need more filtration � 1 source recommends bio filter in the amount of 1/10 the volume of your pond and I have nowhere near that.)

Two months later I still have pea soup (though it seems better this week with cooler temps and having a shade cloth over � of it). Upon the advice of a local pond store, I have been adding beneficial bacteria 3-4 times a week for the last 3 weeks. I put in about 20 water hyacinth and some hornwort, but neither are doing particularly well � and may in fact be adding to the bio load (hornwort turns brown, sheds needles.) Hyacinth not growing -fish eat the roots.

Right now my water reads completely zero for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, so apparently the pea soup algae is good in that regard, keeping the water safe for the fish. I would like to get though the other type of algae which just covers rocks and liner and leaves the water clear. How do I go about getting this???? Not like I can go to the algae store and buy some. Would much rather get a good coating of algae vs. spending much more $$$$$$ on plants that will just die off in the fall.

Im not sure where to start � a filter system easier to deal with would help but what kind�. don�t want anything that I�d have to cut holes in my liner � the skimmer system is out for this reason and because I don�t have all that much surface area that I�d want to give up.

Thinking of the skippy filter - but there again Im totally confused � would you put it before the water goes into the pump, or after?

Along with this I may want to give away a few fish, make the pond shallower (2- 2 � feet) and reduce water volume to 500 gals simply to make it more manageable. 10-20% water changes in a 800 gallon pond are killing me � way too time consuming, and I daresay expensive (haven�t seen water bill yet). We�re talking 80-160 gallons at a time as compared to the 15-30 needed for my old pond. Ive had to do this several times now for reasons too complicated to go into now.

Sorry I know this post is all over the place but any leads/suggestions appreciated.

Any good pond places in Chicago/Milwaukee region where I could talk face to face with someone? We have a couple places locally but they both push Aquascape which I guess is a good system but Im not going to totally disassemble and cut holes in what I�ve got.

Comments (6)

• shakaho
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The filter you have was probably fine for a 150 gallon without too many fish, but you need a big filter for your pond -- like made from a 100 gallon stock tank.

I can tell you where the filter goes. Right now you have tubing going to your "waterfall area." That tubing needs to go into your filter, which sits in the waterfall area. The filtered water can come out of a spout from the filter into the pond, or you can build a waterfall in front of the filter to return the water to the pond.

Now your pump should be on the opposite side of the pond from the filter, so I think you need a lot longer tube to go from your pump to the filter.

The amount of water you need to change depends more on the number of fish than on the size of the pond. To take it to the extreme, if you had one goldfish in the pond, you would need no filter and would not have to change any water. So how many fish do you have in there? How big are they and what kind of fish are they? The fact that you said you might get rid of some fish, suggests that you are overstocked.

Your pond is not big enough for koi, but could handle up to 20 goldfish with good filtration. Basically, you have no filtration now.

Yes, the algae in the water are handling the nitrogen wastes. You are totally wasting your money to put bacterial preparations in there.

DON'T make your pond smaller. I'll tell you a secret about that 10-20% water change per week -- most people do less. If you clean up your water by cutting down the number of fish you have, feeding them less, and making a big filter, things will get a lot better.

From what I've heard, you would do well to stay away from Aquascape.

• mike_il
    11 years ago

Hi Kashka Kat,

I am glad to see that you are one of the smarter ponder I have seen as far as Algae goes. String algae is going to come weather you put it in or not. By putting it in you speed up the process of the maturing. In the area that you are in it takes about 4 to 5 years for a pond to mature on it's own. By putting string algae in when the pond is new you shave 6 months to year off that time.

The only problem with green water is O2 in the water at night or in shade. As long as you are exposing enough water to the air you won't have a problem.

My shop is about 30 miles west of Chicago. As long as I know when you are coming I could meet you there any time.
    Mike

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Kat,

Yeah, I was also surprised by the amount you know about ponds. Pretty rare.

Green water is a very easy fix, UV filter, about 5 days. That should allow other things like the string algae to get going. After a couple of weeks you can try switching off the UV to see if it stays clear.

Making the pond more shallow probably wouldn't help anything and could make some things worst. When a pond goes clear it goes clear and size doesn't seem to matter.

Skippy is a pretty poor filter. Google "pond trickle tower" and specifically "strawberry pot trickle tower" for your size pond. Way easy to build and almost zero maintenance, maybe replace the rocks once every 3 or 4 years.

If you want to continue doing water changes you could switch to a continuous water change. You hook up a drip irrigation emitter and let it run 24/7. In your case a single 1 to 3 GPH emitter would do it, depending on how much of a water change you wanted. Some people say these also keep a pond from going green, but I'm not sure it would clear an already green pond.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the input - sounds like FILTRATION is indeed where I need to go with this.

Actually I only have 4 large sarassas & 2 medium sized shubunkins in the pond right now Big Red (large red comet) and 3 small comets are still in the basement tank after the disaster I had earlier in the spring. I wasnt testing the water (didn�t need to before, I had many easy, trouble free years with 4-5 fish in a 150 gal pond) and when I finally did I did there were nitrates, nitrites AND some ammonia, which necessitated the first of several big emergency water changes . I had a lot of debris powdery brown stuff from the pine tree falling into the pond throughout April & 1/2 of May which I was told was pollen. The water turned into dark brown muck not clear tea colored water, but dark particles that couldnt be seen through

Honestly, I would not want more fish than the 10. They are large enough that the pond doesnt look empty or sparse at all. I meant I would give away fish if I was to decide to reduce the size of the pond.

Mike -thanks I think I may be taking a little road trip!!

Well I guess Im learning - the whole mess earlier this spring was a wake up call - either take care of the fish properly. Or not, and pay the price. When I started, I thought oh well just replace the fish each spring. But when you have them as pets for 10 or 12 years it kinda changes your outlook. Besides, a few healthy active fish are much more pleasant to look at than a lot of them that are not doing well or lethargic because they are too crowded.

Hmmm trickle tower - that could work. My original concept was more like a trickling, gurgling bubbling spring coming out of rocks �-rather than a sheet of water coming over a ledge like a waterfall. Or maybe something like a stack of plastic stacker trays with rocks in them inside a tall bin?

• mckool
    11 years ago

I'm a believer in filtration: mechanical, plants and some routine aereation from time to time. That philosophy has worked well for me for nearly 10 years. I run my aereation pump overnight for a 600+G pond once or twice a month.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

I like filtration too...but we have to be realistic and not expect it to clear a pond 100% of the time. It can, but can't be counted on. UV is 100% for green water.