Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengimp

Good:Bad Tadpole?

gardengimp
12 years ago

We've had a legion of tadpoles hatch in our small pond. We've had eggs before, but they've never hatched out many tadpoles. Now we have this legion. The numbers are going down, slowly. The fish do not eat them. I watched one of the fish today spit one out. Generally the fish ignore them.

I've been poking around trying to figure out if this legion of tadpoles is the cause of the sudden decline in my hornwort.

Worse yet, after reading on here, it seems I might have a bigger concern ....

These tadpoles are solid black. They do not have long tails. They have very stocky bodies. I will check tomorrow (with my glasses on) and see if I can find the eyes.

We are in central Florida. Just northeast of Orlando. We did have a few freezes last winter, but we don't have long hard freezes.

We also have 2 wonderful dogs.

Are there any tadpoles that I might expect to be seeing in my pond other than what I don't want? Is there any reason for me to think these might be anything other than cane toads?

TIA,

~dianne

Comments (11)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

There are a lot of different frogs and toads in Florida besides the invasive invading cane toads. Can you post pictures?

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, not really all that good.

{{gwi:229476}}

~dianne

• groundbeef
    12 years ago

Sure hope that's a closeup. Otherwise you are going to have some big toads!

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's as close as I could get without a macro lens. Then cropped. And I sure hope they aren't Giant Toads!

~dianne

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've still got my pond full of tadpoles. They are sure energetic busy munchers. Still don't know for sure what they are. Neither the county extension nor state extension can/have confirmed if the Marine Toads are in my county yet.

Hubs and I have been spending a lot of time on the Frogs & Toads of Florida site. And going outside to listen, then back to the computer to listen. Last night, we finally had rain. Rain in Florida - who would of thunk it. I went out with my crutches and a flashlight to hunt toads. Hmm, slippery, wet and dark - I really wanted to find an adult toad and get a look see.

We are fairly certain our tadpoles are Southern Toads. Not 100% positive, just cautiously optimistic that is what we have.

More questions about toad tadpoles. We've had a couple batches of bullfrog eggs and tadpoles. The fish munched them down. Do fish generally not eat any toad tadpoles and eggs?

I had a lovely coverage of mostly floating, some rooted hornwort and cabomba. Now I have a lot of little bits of hornwort and cabomba. Is this from the tadpoles or from our recent extreme heat? I'm suspecting tadpoles. If so, should I just pull out the oxygenators and put them in a tub until the tadpoles metamorph?

The other morning I walked out the door with my first cup of coffee in hand to see a black racer snake peeking over the pond. How cool!

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Frogs & Toads of Florida

• shakaho
    12 years ago

I have new pond that I am preparing for fish that is loaded with tadpoles. My goldfish gobble any kind of tadpole. When I first started a pond, the tadpoles were all invasive Cuban tree frogs. I had a plague of the things. They continue to spawn in my pond and the goldies continue to eat the tadpoles. The population of the invasive cuban frogs has declined and I'm beginning to see native frogs and toads return. I get these really tiny toadpoles some of which can hide from the fish in plant pots, so I have tiny toads all over the yard. This year I had a lot of some tiny frog tadpole that matured into tiny tree frogs.

Tadpoles will eat any plant material in the pond. The cubans just destroy lily pads.

I haven't heard of cane toads in the area yet, and I hope they stay away!

I love black racers.

• lonmay
    11 years ago

I am very interested in this discussion regrding frog/toads and tadpoles.
    I have a species of toads that is laying eggs in my lily ponds and the tadpoles eat the lily leaves. You would not belive the amount of leaf thet can consume in an hour.
    I have searched the identification charts linked to this site but have been unable to find a match to identify a distinct species.
    I am really looking for a control.
    Fish have been suggested but fish for the most part will not devour toad eggs and fish will also eat the lilies that I am trying to protect.

I have found that hydrogen Peroxide will kill the tadpoles but at some doses this will also kill the lilies.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. i live in the Tampa bay area.

Thanks. lonmay.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

With amphibians in decline worldwide, killing tadpoles can only be recommended if you are 100% positive they are either cane toads or Cuban treefrogs both non native and damaging to the ecosystem in Florida.

• gardengimp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

QFT - buyorsell is right on. Unless you know for certain what amphibian is hatching in your pond, I would let it hatch. And, I can assure you that the learning process is a ton of fun!

I have learned that toads lay eggs in long strings (or ribbons) and frogs lay eggs in one big huge mass. Cuban Tree frogs lay a qagillion-majillion little bitty eggs in one big huge mass.

I have also learned to better recognize the sounds of the different frogs/toads.

I have a 'spawn mat' in the pond, which is really just two artificial bamboo thing-a-bobs from the pet store. After a spawn, if I'm pretty darn certain I've got Cuban Tree frogs, I pull the spawn mat out and let it sit on the asphalt for a few days.

This year, we have two young frogs that certainly spawned in our pond last year. It is so very cool to watch them this year.

I am still not certain what my giant tadpoles where, but I do not have any cane toads around here, thank heavens.

I quit trying to grow hornwort and cabomba in the pond; now I just grow lots of lilies.

Personally, I would not use hydrogen peroxide in a water garden. Try the 'spawn mat' approach. I've found the amphibians far prefer my artificial spawn mats than the water lilies. You could also try putting in some gambusia. They are local fish, you can probably find them from your county mosquito control person, or any local pond. They are usually called mosquito fish. However, be known that they multiply like crazy. And based on the visual evidence at our county office, they don't eat healthy lily pad leaves.

I am learning to approach water lilies the way I plant dill & fennel. A whole bunch for the local wildlife and a few for me.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Small Native Freshwater Fish

• lonmay
    11 years ago

Thanks to those who rplied to my previous message.

I have since been able to get a firm identification. They are Cuban Tree Frogs.

They have destroyed two 8 inch lily leaves today and started on a third. I started out the season with five lilies, today I have two.

I realy need to find a way to control them. Anyway will do.

I have tried several types of fish but none will touch them.

I know that some honest persons will remind me about "Humane" killing but believe me these tadpoles are not "humane" when they detroy my expensive and rare lilies.

Any Suggestions??

lonmay.