Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macgregor_gw

preferred way to grow onions

macgregor
12 years ago

Hi folks,

I am looking at plant and seed catalogs and wondering how people find it best to grow onions: from transplant or seed?

I have only grown from transplant so far, so I'm really wondering how difficult it is to grow from seed.

Thanks -

MacGregor

Comments (10)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

So far, I have only used sets, which I like because it is easy. So far I am confused about seeds. I am in zone 6 but live in a short day area. The descriptions of growing in short day areas seem to indicate planting seeds in the fall but some of the descriptions make me think that is for warmer zones. I need to talk to some local growers about what they do and then proceed to some small experiments with seeds while I continue with sets for the main crop.

That being said, last year I did sow some day-neutral onion seeds (Candy) and they did reasonably well. I hope to keep practicing as seeds are definitely cheaper in the long run.

• macgregor
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I have used onion sets as well. So far that's the only way I've grown onions.

Do people grow leeks from sets as well? I looked at seeds for them today but have never grown them at all.

Thanks for your input everyone.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    12 years ago

Last year, a local nursery had leeks that were sown in a 1 inch pot. There were about 20 plants in this pot for $2. I took them home, got them really moist and separated them, planting them in deep holes. It worked beuatifully. I have started leeks myself this year to see how it does. It seems that I have read that leeks like to be transplanted because then you can plant them deeper, getting a longer usable shaft.

• Donna
    12 years ago

Onion seeds are ridiculously easy to start. I sowed them for the first time this year and I do believe every last one came up. However, you need to know that they have a short shelf life, so don't order more than you can use in one year's time. Here in the southeast, we grow bulbing onions in the winter. I sowed the seeds in flats in early September (outside) and kept them fed and watered. Then in late November, I transplanted them into the ground, and then into tubs, and then into window boxes. Like I said, they ALL came up! :)

They are heavy feeders so need plenty of nitrogen on a regular basis. I use blood meal and they seem to love it. I was pulling green onions by Thanksgiving.

If you are interested, you could also check out perennial onions: aka Egyptian Walking Onions, Bunching onions, Potato onions, and shallots. Don't forget garlic too. It's also very easy to grow. (Each of these I listed is an entirely different type of onion.)

Check out the Alliums forum for more info.

• seamommy
    12 years ago

To spread out your harvest time for onions you can plant a small amount of seed every two to three weeks in the early Spring. Store extra seed in a moisture-proof container in the freezer. Seeds will continue to be viable for several years this way. When you harvest your last onions of the season, Let them go to seed, then save the seed and keep it in the freezer til the following Spring. Also, to continue to have fresh onion through the winter, dice fresh onions, blanch in boiling water bath for about 8-10 seconds, drain on paper towel til nearly dry. Then spread them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen, remove them to a ziploc baggie and return to the freezer. The blanching stops the aging process and kills any critters on the onion bits.

If you're over 50 You're sure to remember this fine old classic song:

Onions! Onions, La La La! Onions, Onions, ha ha ha!
    I love onions, yes I do, Oo-o-o-oh, I love onions!

• joker422
    12 years ago

I planted leeks from seed last year and had okay luck with them. They grew fine, but didn't get big enough before winter. I direct sowed them into a raised bed in March that gets some shade. I'm thinking that may have played a role as well. I may try again this year, but in a sunnier spot to see if that makes a difference.

I grew onions from sets last year and that was a breeze. As long as the soil isn't too compacted and it gets good sun, you'll get good sized onions. I'm going to give shallots a whirl this year.

• bi11me
    12 years ago

I prefer seed because of the quantity I grow, it is easier and more economical. I sow densely in flats and then transplant. You should start your leeks about now in Mass.

• macky77
    12 years ago

I agree with donnabaskets, onions are ridiculously easy to start from seed. I tried sets exactly once and I'll never do it again; they don't get nearly as big and lovely. My first attempt at leeks wasn't too stellar, but I put them out in the coldframe earlier last year and planted them in a deeper pot (where the sides of the pot were a good 5 inches or so above the soil level). They stretched more for the light and developed longer shafts which thickened nicely to almost pencil-sized in the cold frame. Pics of the results (both from seed):

{{gwi:359733}}

{{gwi:366523}}

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

Nice looking stuff Macky :)

I start my seeds indoors under lights in trays in February. When the garden is ready,(tilled and amended) I tease them out and plant. Be careful not to put them too deep. Give them some room to fully develop. I planted copra at 6" spacing and got some really nice ones. I just finished the last of them in February so this year I'm planting more. A friend of mine grows all of his from direct seeding but he plants hundreds of feet of rows for his market stand. Mine are ready earlier but if I we're growing that many I wouldn't transplant them all, maybe just some to have ahead of time. Sets are easy I have to say, but your choice is very limited. They won't store as well a seed or plant grown either. With seed you have many options. From the small flat cipollinis to the jumbo alsia craig.

• riverfarm
    12 years ago

I was really interested in reading about people's success with seeds; I've only grown onions from sets in the past. Inspired by this discussion, I ordered some Cevennes seed and have them planted in a take-out food container with a clear plastic lid. Once they're up and the weather is more reliably nice I'll transplant them into the garden. This variety is supposed to have a nice flavor and is a good keeper. I still have some Stuttgart onions on a rack in the basement that I grew from sets last year so I'm hoping that Cevennes will be as good.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz