Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_in_maryland

potager paths?

linda_in_maryland
18 years ago

I just learned the word potager last week and here is a new forum! that's excellent.

I'm constructing a new kitchen garden with raised beds and paths and am wondering what material others have used for their paths. If you use pebbles, how do you keep weeds down?

thanks,

Linda

Comments (12)

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Linda:
    I use pea gravel in for paths in my main garden. There is no grass present, and the paths are also bordered with brick, rock or glass bottles. I don't have a huge weed problem! Where there is one, I will put down preen sometimes. But if I get a group of germinators all together I just pour on some boiling water and it will take care of the problem most of the time. Sometimes boiling water one day, and then a soaking of vinegar the next if they are still green. Works especially well on a hot day!!
    The new potager beds will be mulched in fine pinebark mulch here. I'm not sure how to keep the weeds out of this...maybe corn gluten meal. That is the active ingredient in Preen anyway.

GGG

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Linda, I have never covered mine with anything. They are just dirt. Not the most attractive covering, but it is so easy to keep weeded and clean. After many years, it is well packed down and does not create dust.

I thought of putting a mulch down to look more attractive, but I know I would just be removing it to weed. And then there are all the leaves that blow in when the apricot trees lose their leaves. It is very easy to rake without anything in the way. I can't imagine picking through the mulch to get at the leaves. I have better things to do! lol!

Here's a pic from last summer.
    {{gwi:1150873}}

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Diana - that is so cute. You did a great job. I love
    the barrel in the center, is that going to be a water
    feature? or a bathing place for Miss Abbey ;-)

Edna

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Ha! Edna, that would make a good tub for Abby, wouldn't it? We did use it as a pond several years ago, but we recently moved it out. I've decided I want another bed there. Mark is going to make it soon, probably in a hexagon shape. Then we'll put a decorative post with a birdhouse on top. And my little pond with the old pump is going in front of the post, surrounded by flowers and herbs. Maybe a rose. I could move Gingerbread Man in there. He stays small, about 2 1/2 ft. What do you think?
    Gingerbread Man
    {{gwi:1150875}}

The stock tank will be used near the deck and pergola off the kitchen. It's not very wide, so Mark wants to sink it in the ground about a foot, then surround it in stone. The stone wall will be about a foot wide so it can be sat on. Then I'll get some water plants for it. Any you think will do good with afternoon shade?

Diana

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

StOP IT WITH THE GINGERBREAD MAN!! You know I LOVE LOVE LOVE that rose to death! YOU ARE TORTURING ME, lol.
    It's small,
    It's golden,
    It's gorgeous.
    It's a BS magnet here. DRAT!
    Your potager is adorable. And your middle planter/water thingy is exactly what I plan to put in our patio when I have a patio.

• linda_in_maryland
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Angelcub, that is very beautiful and inspiring... I like the tub too. Dirt makes sense but then... no mud? Would make life easy for my first year of setting up the potager.

Linda

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Linda, no mud - I live in a fairly dry area and our rains fall generally between Jan and Mar. We do get some summer thunderstorms, but nothing like you experience in the east or mid-west. I'd try the bare earth first and see if it causes you problems. You can always cover the paths later, if needed.

Sorry Glynis! : ) You're right - he doesn't like humidity or hot summers. Makes him perfect for my neck of the gardening world.

Now you need to quit telling me how good the tub looks in there. If I ask Mark to put it back, he'll have me committed. lol!

Thanks for the compliments!!! I love my potager and the man who made it. ; )

Diana

• harper
    18 years ago

Pine straw (needles) is my choice for garden paths. It looks good and feels great on bare tootsies.

• memo3
    18 years ago

I will be using straw for my paths. I used it as a mulch last summer, put in on twice through the season and there is still some remaining now that the snow is gone. It was easy to walk in (though I never go barefoot) and it wasn't at all uncomfortable to sit and kneel on when working. It's also very very light weight for moving around and it spreads easily. I found also that it kept all of the normal vegie eating bugs at bay except the grasshoppers. Oh yeah...and I bet I didn't pull more than 20 weeds all summer...it was a really large garden. Previously the area was nothing but 4-5 ft. weeds so I was quite pleased to say the least. We did till the whole area before I put the straw on so maybe that and the addition of the straw is what made it work?

MeMo

• mrsgalihad
    18 years ago

I used woodchips last year. I was fortunate enough to get a load for free. It worked well on the weeds and the mud but it wasn't very nice on bare feet. I hardly wear shoes at all in summer so I'm going to have to find another alternative. If you wear shoes though it's great stuff.

• campcreek
    18 years ago

I used old carpet cut to size, turned upside down and covered with pine bark mulch. Worked great for keeping weeds out and looked nice for a while, too. I think in my next garden, I'm going to try weed barrier fabric (don't think I can find enough old carpet for that one) and might even try the pine needles instead of bark mulch. I go barefoot a lot, so that would be wonderful!

Diana, that's adorable!! I use galvanized water troughs for ponds, too! :) I have two of them ~ one large round one like yours and another oblong one, about seven feet long. They're great, aren't they? I call them my "Insta-Ponds, just add water". LOL!

• dayleann
    18 years ago

Diana, I LOVE your potager! I think your idea for the center sounds wonderful. Pics when you can?

I left a strip of grass in mine to use as a path to my rustic little carriage barn where I store garden things-- it rains regularly in the summer here, so it keeps the mud down. The side paths are bare, though. Helps keep the slugs down, though I wouldn't mind putting in some packed gravel. If I do that, I'd probably do the path to the barn, too, with some bricks and flat rocks for interest.

Dayle Ann