Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers in the Potager Garden

Posted by ourhappyhome 7b Georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 10:20

Hello all, I'm new to this forum but not to GardenWeb. What an awesome place! I think I've definitely found my new hang-out. I grow figs, heirloom tomatoes and a few other fruits and veggies. I have a large yard, but very little space for gardening because my DH thinks vegetable gardens are unattractive and belong in the country. That is why I can appreciate the Potager garden. They are so beautiful and look perfectly suited for my situation.

My question is regarding the many beautiful flowers that I've seen in your gardens. Do you actually grow them from seed each year or do you purchase them? I'd like to try growing some from seed but I want to make sure whatever I grow will flower this season. I have lots of flower seed but not many of those listed for the Potager garden (I have echinacea, sunflowers, zinnias, poppies and petunias). Is there a reason why certain varieties of flowers are grown? I'd really like to use what I already have on hand and maybe include some dwarf dahlias. The little area I'd like to plant is adjacent to the street. Its a prepared circular bed (30'diameter). The only way I can pull this off is to make it appear as a flower bed/garden and hide my veggies in the middle. Wish I could post pics.

Thanks for your help!

April

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers in the Potager Garden

I start everything from seed, just more economical for me to do it that way, also keeps me busy during the winter months, I grow under lights. You can use what ever you want in the potager, some people only use edible flowers such as nastursiums and daylillies, but most I see have intermingled assortments or flowers. I would just be care ful of sweet pea flower vine and edible peas, they look the same and the sweet peas are toxic. In past gardens I would fill holes in the veggie garden with herbs and annual flowers, but I ususaly pack my veggies in so I usually dont have too much room for annuals. I am starting a new potager this spring and it will be well though out for spacing etc. Now Im just working on my lasagna beds getting ready for spring. good luck with your potager.

o

Thanks for the info. gjmancini. I am starting with a very small space as well. I actually like the look of veggies planted together in tight spaces. I want to add flowers to the corners so passersby see the flowers and not the veggies. I live on a corner lot in a subdivision with lots of nosy, opinionated neighbors. Whatever I do has to be decorative as well as functional.

o

Hi April

If you look at the pictures in the "My petit potager" you will see a wonderful hidden vegetable garden. It looks so pretty yet is functional - I look at it often for inspiration.

Fern

o

I also live on a corner lot, so I want my gardens to be pleasing to the eye. I agree with Fern, look at others potagers for inspiration, there all beautiful.

o

"My petit potager" is my inspiration. Just lovely. I also like the dahlias in the circular potager on this forum.

gjmancini, I purchased a few more flower seeds last weekend and will start them over the next few weeks. I also bought some great looking perennials on clearance at Lowes for $1. They're the 1 gallon size. They're not in bloom of course, but who cares!

o

My small potager must include a few flowers planted among the herbs and vegetables. Actually it is chock full with the following plants: Pineapple sage, football mums, salvias(blue) snapdragons(mixed colors), green peppers, 3 clumps of asparagus in the back row) leeks, oriental lilies, Italian parsley, swiss chard; heirloom tomatoes, and hot peppers; zucchini (3 plants only), a teepee planted with purple pole beans, and cucumbers intertwined with the beans, gazanias, nasturtiums and a few herb plants.

This potager looks attractive with these plants and I would never try to hide my vegetables. If, in fact, you place them in the front yard or in a corner display, remember that okra, eggplant, and swiss chard has pretty leaves and the flowers on the okra and eggplant are also attractive. I also like to use those plants on the side of my yard intermixed with the tall cannas during the summer months.

It is an edible landscape area as well.

Vicki

o

I plant alyssum because it blooms early and attracts tiny beneficial wasps wasps which will then feed on the bad bugs in your potager. And it smells nice too :)

o

Hello,

A beautiful bright flower for the Potager is a medium sized cosmos called White Sonata. it blooms endlessly and comes in those cheap 6 to a pack starter packs at the Nursery.

Photobucket

John

o

Lovely John. Have you tried growing these from seed? Just wondering whether they flower the first year.

o

Cosmos is very easy to grow from seed and yes they would flower the first year. At $2.49 for a six pack its well worth getting them at the Nursery.

John

o

Thanks John - the white cosmos look so bright - I think that I'll have to add a 6 pack to my space this summer - just 2 1/2 months to go

Fern

o

oops Fern..Just bought two six packs today..

o

Where? Lowes/Home Depot? I can't seem to find them here in Georgia. ho hum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here