Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbocelli

My new potager beginnings-lg file

luvbocelli
16 years ago

I don't know if this will work or not, but if it does, here are a few pictures of the beginning of my new potager garden.

Comments (7)

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

You've been quite busy! That's a great fence and such nice raised beds. You must have had quite a bumper crop!

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh my goodness......you are the one with the purple adirondak chairs.......you were the talk of my office last winter. Everyone loved the purple chairs.
    I have admired your garden for some time. Would love to see more.

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Love the garden! What type of wood have you used for the raised beds and what are the dimensions?
    Thanks!
    Anne

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anne,
    We just used rough cut pine that we found at Home Depot. It was relatively inexpensive. The dimensions are 3X8. THis was my first year, so I hope to improve this spring. We are also going to have the same size beds around the inside perimeter for flowers.

• aclum
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'm starting a new garden in what is now lawn. I've got the beds laid out and cardboard down in preparation for the delivery of county compost (100% composed green waste) to start lasagna beds. I've sort of been stalling on the last stage while I ponder what to do about the raised bed situation. I can't really afford redwood or cedar right now and mounded beds are not my ideal solution. Now that I've seen how great your pine beds look, I've decided to go with those. It's like a weight's been lifted from me . I can't wait to get going on things again. I'm about ready to start seeds and I need to get those beds "cookin" in the meantime. Thanks again!
    Anne

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Anne
    Glad to help. Really try to invest your money in the big ticket items like the fence. To me, didn't matter about the type of wood for the beds, even though I know they won't last as long as say cedar. This was a big undertaking for us the first year but I'm sure it will pay off. Will post new photos this spring

• aclum
    16 years ago

Hi luvbocelli,

You wrote: "Really try to invest your money in the big ticket items like the fence."

We just moved to a new (for us) home in Merced, CA with a HUGE backyard lawn area surrounded by an older 5' tall redwood (?) fence that had some rotted or broken sections and was a bit rickety in places. We discovered that the neighbors had fence barking dogs and as we have 3 large dogs we decided that the only thing to do was to just put in an inner chain link fence off the patio (giving us people and OUR dogs a nice secure lawn and patio area about 40' x 60') with nice garden areas outside the chain link. So we've sort of taken care of the "fence issue," but this did cut into the budget which is why I'm so thrilled to see your pine beds!
    Anne

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction