Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradmm

I'm tickled to be here!!!

bradmm
15 years ago

I've been off and on at Gardenweb forums for years but it wasn't until we moved three years ago and things started coming together to allow me to do things I couldn't before. Before, we had no fences and LOTS of deer. Now, we have an even smaller (PAID FOR! :-)) house with fenced back yard. The house already had a 400 sq ft building in the back so I put up a wall 1/3 of the way back and the front part is tool room/dog house and the back 2/3 is my office. I LOVE IT! Of course, the pooches come in the office the time. One has his own recliner, one has her own sofa... but they share!

Anyway, I also installed a wire fence halfway between the smaller bldg and the house. For two years, I've been landscaping the people yard between the dog yard and the house. I will come back later with pics.

Right now, I'm working on installing a raised bed veggie garden in the back part (procrastinating at the moment). THAT'S how I come to learn the term "potager" and I'm excited!!!

Okay, back to work but GLAD TO BE HERE!!!

Brad

Comments (6)

• evie4
    15 years ago

Welcome back Brad! I'm new to the potager forum. I've been gardening a good 20 years, but the last 5-6 years we've just been keeping things maintained. We always have our berries and usual tomatoes and peas and beans, but I'm wanting to turn my somewhat formal backyard into more of a potager/cottage. The minute I think I'm done...I want to redesign things! I've gone seed crazy, got a shelf system, lights, and have already started some herbs.

Lookinging forward to seeing and reading about everyones projects/gardens.

Wow, what lucky dogs! Mine is spoiled, but he doesn't have his own chair or couch!

Evie

• bradmm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yea, a response! Guess this isn't very well trafficked over here.

Still... glad to be here!

• Donna
    15 years ago

Oh yes, we're around, it's just a wee bit early yet. You're probably a good month ahead of me, and I'm probably two months ahead of the Midwestern and Northeastern gardeners.

I am in the process of purchasing materials and WAITING for the ground to dry out so I can start digging and constructing. I plan to start seeds next week. Can hardly wait for gardening season!

• marcy3459
    15 years ago

Sorry, Brad, but we're still waiting for a warm day or two to get out and do SOMETHING!!! Right now, I am building more raised beds (this year it's four L-shaped beds and there's been about two good days to go outside) in an ever growing formal potager garden. It's now up to about 40 x 40. And some of my seeds have come by mailorder and I keep tweaking "the plan" on the computer. My tulips are just now peeking out of the ground. I'll get around to starting seedlings sometime, I guess.

New for me this year is edamame. Hope it does well. Any opinions?

• bradmm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm at a conference right now about sustainability... I think the central theme of this forum is the origin of sustainability!

• Annie
    15 years ago

Welcome Brad!

When the weather warms up (in the rest of the country), there will be more activity on here.
    It is only in the 20s here!

I started most of my veggies in pots last week. Bought some onion plants. I'm getting ready! Generally here in my area, I plant potatoes in March-April and then the cole crops, peas, lettuces, onions and roots crops in April. Then Tomatoes and other warm crops in mid-April or later if we are having a cooler year. Okra, corn and hot weather crops like melons, gourds, &etc, in May.

It won't be long now.

Right now I am sowing pots and flats of veggie & flowers seeds; weeding, digging out grass; building up the soil; repairing fences and arbors and working in my flower beds (cottage garden) as they are beginning to wake up from their winter slumber. Planning and waiting for the warm weather to come and stabilize and change from winter into Spring. Can't wait!

There is a lot of activity in the Cottage Garden Forum right now though. Many over there are long-time Potager posters as well.

So keep checking back. It will soon come alive.

Glad to have you on board!

~Annie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting