Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Beware Lemon Balm, melissa officinalis!!

gldno1
18 years ago

Lovely plant, but can become a weedy nuisance and is very, very difficult to eradicate......I am still trying. Now, if you have a dry spot that needs a very persistant ground cover, you have the plant!

I would be very wary of planting it in a perennial bed.

Comments (12)

• angelcub
    18 years ago

So true. I have it in one of the raised beds, but I am thinking of removing it. it hasn't migrated much - the pumpkin vines seem to have kept it in check. Still, I could use the space for something more useful, so out it goes!

Diana

• debbieca
    18 years ago

Mine will go in a pot. I have heard the stories ; )

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I have mine directly in the herb bed, but three times a year I whack it. Then twice a year I dig out chunks of it since I pot it up for the church greenhouse and our herb sales there. We always worn customers about mint and lemon balm!

GGG

• harper
    18 years ago

Never had that problem with lemon balm. She's a lady in my garden.

• campcreek
    18 years ago

She's a lady in my garden, too. Of course I live in Texas, where we LOOK for the words "may become invasive" so we can find things tough enough to survive! *snicker*

• gardeningwithbaby
    18 years ago

I haven't had any trouble with Lemon Balm here in Nebraska. I do have it in the shade which might keep it calmer and not as take over:)

Stacie

• rosebush
    18 years ago

First time to this forum. Have also found lemon balm to be invasive, but also keeps bugs away. Will keep it mixed in where I want to repel pests. Pots are great solution.

• dayleann
    18 years ago

I bought my house at the end of winter, and moved in just when things were starting to come up. Well, there were a few jewels, but I found that mostly I had HUGE beds of the old-fashioned invasive daylily and, in back, a patch of spearmint that extended about ten feet out from the back of the house. Holy cow. I like mint, but... This will be my third summer here, and I expect to still be pulling out mint, probably forever, but at least it is enough in control I can plant other things and not lose them, as long as I am diligent about getting the mint out when it pops up. Which it does, without warning.

Oh, yeah, there was the bed of lily-of-the-valley with designs on my driveway, too...

Dayle Ann

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Can anyone tell me what you are using your lemon balm for? One mentioned that it repels bugs. Anyone use it for anything else?

• harper
    18 years ago

gurley, I use it to make a tea bread, but that's about it.

Last year I grew lemon verbena and found I really prefer it over lemon balm.

Lemon Herb Tea Bread

3/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon balm
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon thyme (or use lemon balm)
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    Lemon Glaze

COMBINE first 3 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 15 minutes until cool.

BEAT butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

COMBINE flour and next 2 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in lemon rind. Pour batter into a greased and sugared or floured 9-x5-x3-inch loafpan.

BAKE at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely. Drizzle Lemon Glaze over bread.

LEMON GLAZE: Combine 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a small bowl; stir until smooth.

NOTE: I prefer to make this recipe using 3 mini loaf pans. I bake them for 48-50 minutes. You can also substitute lemon balm for the lemon thyme.

{{gwi:1150983}}

Harper

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Oh Yeah..... that looks like a good reason to grow lemon balm, or anything else lemony.

• georich5
    18 years ago

Harper-- Mind if I copy this recipe? It looks better than mine.

Jeannine--I can see this in your new herb retreat!!!!

I'm planning on adding lemon verbena.

gldno1-- I agree it can get agressive but my BES fight for territory.

georgeanne

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH