Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof4innc

Starting a potager garden from scratch

momof4inNC
12 years ago

Hi, Tammy here. I live in NC just south of Raleigh and am starting a potager. We had really nice weather last Sunday - around 60 and sunny so we tackled the main part. Our kids have a huge fort/swingset that we had enclosed in a large bed of mulch about 4 years ago. They still play on it occasionally so it had to remain in the yard at least for a couple more years. The problem is where we put it has the most sun. We have a large long back yard surrounded by our neighbors trees. Yes we have one cedar but are surrounded by tons of oaks that lean towards our yard reaching for open sky. So, we took that fort and moved it to the yard where it gets dappled sun. And we took over that play area. My hubby tilled in all the area with the piles of leaves we had to give the garden lots of nutrients over the winter. We put up a fence to keep the dog and kids out once plants start to grow. Now comes the planning of the beds and what will be planted where. I am having the hubby do raised beds as they are much easier to work with. And the back area of about 10 feet in depth is going to be reserved to build a green house from salvaged material. That will be the main focal point from the yard.

You can see my starting point on my blog below.

I can't wait to share this journey and get feedback from you all here.

tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tatteredandtimeless.com/2012/01/freezing-but-thinking-of-spring.html

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor