Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a potager garden from scratch

Posted by momof4inNC 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 19:58

Hi, Tammy here. I live in NC just south of Raleigh and am starting a potager. We had really nice weather last Sunday - around 60 and sunny so we tackled the main part. Our kids have a huge fort/swingset that we had enclosed in a large bed of mulch about 4 years ago. They still play on it occasionally so it had to remain in the yard at least for a couple more years. The problem is where we put it has the most sun. We have a large long back yard surrounded by our neighbors trees. Yes we have one cedar but are surrounded by tons of oaks that lean towards our yard reaching for open sky. So, we took that fort and moved it to the yard where it gets dappled sun. And we took over that play area. My hubby tilled in all the area with the piles of leaves we had to give the garden lots of nutrients over the winter. We put up a fence to keep the dog and kids out once plants start to grow. Now comes the planning of the beds and what will be planted where. I am having the hubby do raised beds as they are much easier to work with. And the back area of about 10 feet in depth is going to be reserved to build a green house from salvaged material. That will be the main focal point from the yard.
You can see my starting point on my blog below.
I can't wait to share this journey and get feedback from you all here.
tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.tatteredandtimeless.com/2012/01/freezing-but-thinking-of-spring.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a potager garden from scratch

Wow. You have a great start already! If I were you, I would plan a 2 to 3 foot wide bed along the tall privacy fence, and tack fence wire to it so you can train climbers like peas, beans, and cucumbers on that. Be sure to make it narrow enough that you can reach into it to work since you will only be able to access it from one side. You don't want to step into your beds as this compacts your soil.

It appears to be an off square area, so you can design some fun odd shaped beds inside it to take advantage of every square foot. You could put a four square (or rectangular) arrangement in the center and then use odd shapes to fill out around those.

If you are planning to grow annual vegetables, crop rotations will be more easily managed if all your beds have approximately the same number of square feet, but this is not absolutely essential.

I would recommend that you be sure to leave three feet of path space between all your beds. Good luck! We'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: My potager.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here