Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joker422

Front yard potager & HOAs

joker422
12 years ago

My front yard faces south in my HOA community and I would love to be able to rip out the struggling grass (been kind of dead since we moved in 15 months ago) and put in raised beds for edibles/herbs, etc. with brick paths and a seating area to enjoy the sun in the fall, winter, and spring. I'd also surround it with a boxwood hedge to help provide interest in the winter.

My neighborhood is on the older side and the HOA seems more flexible than I've seen others be. I've seen other homes with no front yard grass, though their space was smaller and they put in a dry riverbed of sorts.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with HOAs and had any advice. I have a plan done up in Visio, but it's just a diagram. I'm debating hiring someone to draw up a concept in hopes that I could win them over with presentation. I think it can be hard to visualize without pictures. At the same time, I don't want to spend a ton of money for a pretty picture... Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Donna
    12 years ago

I am a member of a HOA....
    If I were you, I would do the concept drawing. A picture is worth a thousands words and they might go for it. You might consider building your beds out of stone or some other upscale material. If you already keep a nice orderly neat yard, that would have to be to your advantage too. You'll never know if you don't try.

• natal
    12 years ago

Are you planning on using fencing ... an arbor? Both might help.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I agree with Natal...an arbor (maybe with climbing roses or clematis) and a picket fence would be beautiful...and maybe a fruit tree or two. If you plant roses and/or perennials, along the fence, it will look more like a traditional garden.

From what I've read, most successful HOA potagers have avoided corn and other big crops (keep those for the backyard) but mixed smaller veggies in with flowers, herbs and fruit.

Who knows...you may inspire a new trend, in your neighborhood :)

• captivatedlife
    12 years ago

It all depends on the zoning of your area and what your HOA says. In this case I'd read the guide. You may need to contact them whenever you are changing your "landscaping". You don't have to say "Hey, I'm going to keep a farm in my front yard!" You can just put up a lovely garden.

If it turns out that you "can't" grow vegetables I'd go for lesser items. Asparagus, mints, oregano,dill, chives, strawberries to line the bed, borage, rosemary, lavender, firm heads of lettuce, kale, peas mixed with vining sweet peas as decoration (I'm doing that this year!) purple cabbage, beets, scarlet runner beans, egyptian or walking onion, determinate cherry tomatoes, bright red pepper plants, etc

Get a good landscaping book (most of my ideas in the post are from the country home kitchen garden planner by Darrell Trout) We don't suffer from a HOA, however we want to do a nice job with our landscaping. The yard is a little rundown (cough, cough) and we'd like to do something to make it really nice. Why spend money on regular landscaping when I can spend money on EDIBLE landscaping?!

Get yourself some graph paper - I just print mine off the internet - and draw up a plan. Measure your yard, make sure you give your plants the room they need to grow. I'm not putting my whole yard together this year but I have a good 2-3 year plan on what I want to do. My pinterest has some good potager/cottage ideas - feel free to check the link out!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest Garden Link

• t-bird
    12 years ago

Well - I don't know too much about HOA, but here is what I would do...

draw up a very detailed design for yourself, and then put in the most decorative elements first....for example, if the entree will be an arch with climbing roses - who could object?

but read whatever guidelines are available to you so you know what you must NOT do....and do whatever else you likely -----slowly-----and attractively.....