Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (10)

• vickster257
    16 years ago

Hi,

What plants will you be using in your potager? Vegetables, herbs, flowers or a combination of them?

I find that over the years in my small potager I grow a teepee of pole purple beans, cucumbers, asparagus, peppers, heirloom tomatoes, herbs, sugar snap peas, fava beans in the spring, butterfly weed as a host plant for the butterflies and pineapple sage for the hummingbirds and butterflies. Of course, flowers are also included in this spot and throughout the other beds.

Vicki

• ninjabut
    16 years ago

Boy! I wish I had a tractor to help with my gardens! We've got 2 bad backs and a landscaper that owes us alot of hours in a barter for my DH carving him a sign.
    Just curious, why is the garden so far away from the house?
    Do you go out on a daily basis and pick all your veges/herbs?
    I have mine in a side yard that is available from the back deck. My greenhouse is one step down from the deck, most of the herbs are either in the GH or in barrels on the deck.
    The garden is within 10 ft of the deck.
    Soon we'll have steps going right down into the garden!
    I wish I knew how to post pics, but, alas no go!
    Nancy

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually the house you see is my neighbors. My garden is very close to my house and pool. This spring's project will be putting in flower boxes along the inside of my potager and possibly a rustic arbor at the entrance. I have about 10-12 other flower beds around the property as well. Yes, I usually pick on a daily basis. I am envious of you having a greenhouse. If I didn't work full time I would have one of those also.

• ninjabut
    16 years ago

That makes more sense that it's your neighbor's house!
    My GH is only a 6x8 Harbor Freight GH. It actually got blown to smitherines a couple weeks ago, along with a big bunch of my roof, in a freak windstorm here in No CA!
    I patched up the GH for the time being with duct tape, but have the DH convinced that we can turn 1/3 of our deck into a new GH/sunroom using all the windows we replaced a couple of years ago!About 12'x12'!
    This would be on the deck, about 2 steps down to the vege/potager garden.
    NT

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

Your neighbor's house and barn make a delightful backdrop for your garden. Looks like you have terrific soil. I can hardly wait to see your updates. Go for that sunroom.

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm getting very excited to plant. Yesterday I topped off my beds with some dehydrated cow manure. It won't be long until I transplant all my little winter-sown babies!

• deep_south_gardener
    15 years ago

Hey ya'll,
    I've had such a good time reading your post
    and looking at your pictures. Nice to see
    other members yards and gardens. What a nice
    place you have luvbocelli. How much property
    do ya'll have? We have a small place but I
    cram as much fun as possible in every nook
    and cranny. Do ya'll have any critter
    problems? I see a lot of woods off to the
    right of your pictures. The only critters
    I really have to deal with are neighborhood
    cats. We don't see to many squirrils since
    we cut down the large tree that was on the
    property line. They run along the power
    lines from time to time but stay close
    to the trees in the neighbor hood.
    Please keep us informed of how your
    garden is progressing. It looks great
    already. Good luck.
    Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/user/deepsouthgardener100

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there..........We have almost 3 acres. I often have deer in my yard, but so far they have left the vegetable garden alone. They do, however get at my flowers. The potager garden was new last year, so I really hope to improve on it this year.

• bristlingacres
    15 years ago

Did you put any mulch down between the raised beds? I have a garden that looks very similar to yours. I'm wondering if I should lay down a weed proof barrier plus gravel (which I have a stockpile of at the moment) to help with the weeding and difficult task of mowing between the beds (we also installed drip irrigation to our beds and I'm nervous about accidentally mowing one of the lines).

Your garden looks very nice. I can't wait to see photos of it later this summer!
    Astrid

• luvbocelli
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Astrid
    Thanks for your comments. I would love to see pictures of your garden. Yes I do have mulch between all my beds. It has worked very well for me. I want to look into soaker hoses myself as that is very time consuming to water.
    I am horribe at posting here so if you want to see updates of my progress you can look at yardshare.com
    Rght now I am featured on the home page but if you don't see me you can search by Southwell Potager.
    Happy Gardening
    Deb

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?