Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

I need retirement projects!

nancyjane_gardener
11 years ago

I just found out in Dec that I'm being offered an incentive to retire after 38 years! I will only be 57 when the time comes this summer, so I have plenty of time and energy to do/make/grow/create/learn things! The only thing that holds me back is some back issues(I have to quit working after 15 min in the garden and sit at least 15 before starting again. This was an agreement with my Chiro)
I'm hoping to take a Master Gardeners course and substitute a couple of days a week for extra cash, but I bore easily when I have down time and would appreciate any suggestions! I'm pretty artistic and love to make things, especially for the garden! Nancy

Comments (11)

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Create new or convert old beds to sub irrigation method to supposedly reduce water use by 90%! I'm pondering how to apply it to our garden setting.

Here is a link that might be useful: sub irrigation garden beds

• ali-b
    11 years ago

corrine- we've been looking at the same websites! A sub-irrigated bed is on my list of future garden experiments.

Nancyjane - What about a table garden (a raised bed with legs)? That way you can sit and garden at the same time. You could also make it a sub-irrigated one.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Actually, I just found out my neighbors are moving to Hawaii and I'm going to buy their beautiful raised (as in off the ground) beds! They are about 3x8' and about a foot deep! WooHoo!! NT

• tammyinwv
    11 years ago

I love learning something new. Challenging myself. I can knit, but one winter I learned to knit socks. I am working on another pair now. One year I learned to root roses. another, I tried my hand at winter sowing. I learned to start my garden plants form seed inside under lights. Learning to machine quilt after years of hand quilting. Learned to save seed from my plants to re-grow or exchange. Learn to can what you grow. How's that for a start? lol
    Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• peachymomo
    11 years ago

Have you ever seen a snail garden? Seems like a neat idea, especially for herbs since the varying conditions make it so that everyone gets a spot perfect for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of snail herb gardens

• jll0306
    11 years ago

LOL. For a minute, I thought you meant snail garden as in butterfly garden and I was thinking A WHAAAAT?

• peachymomo
    11 years ago

I realized after posting that it might sound like I meant a garden for raising snails, not a snail-shaped garden. Oops!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Peachy- Thank you Thank you!..... Just the kind of thing I want to do! I've got tons of rock and tons of succulents from the neighbor! ZOUNDS! Nancy

• eibren
    10 years ago

You might want to invest in a "zero gravity" lawn chair if you intend to move many rocks around...then you will have something therapeutic to spend your required fifteen minutes in!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eibren- OOOOOH Great idea! I can put it under the morning glory umbrella and hang! (pun intended!).
    Are you talking about one of those things you hang upside down? Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm loving the idea of the snail garden! Escargot for all!
    Actually, as I said before, I have a pile of rocks and tons of succulents to chose from!
    Got my raised up containers from the neighbors, but they must have used the wrong soil in them, cause everything withered up and died that was planted in them! =( !
    I've been in contact with the container forum, and will be changing the soil in time for planting in the spring.
    To "pottage" it up a bit, being 3 rectangle beds all in a row, I think I'll box in the lower level, maybe 6" and plant flowers underneath the raised boxes.
    Nancy

Sponsored