Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potager/herbal recipes

Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 2:48

Do you have a favorite potager/herbal recipe?

Here is one of my favs:

Lavender Lemonade:

4 cups water (divided use)
1/4 cup fresh lavender (or 2 tablespoons dried lavender leaves)
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar (preferably superfine)
lemon slices (to garnish) (optional)

1 hour 10 minutes 10 mins prep

1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add the lavender; cover and steep for 1 hour.
2. Strain the lavender mixture into a 2-quart or larger pitcher. Add lemon juice, sugar and remaining 3 cups water; stir until sugar dissolves.
3. Serve in tall, ice-filled glasses, garnished with lemon slices.

Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potager/herbal recipes

Mmmmm, thanks Becky! Sounds good.
I like to make rosemary iced tea, using fresh rosemary sprigs and some lemon verbena.

2 - 3 fresh sprigs of rosemary
6 tea bags
4 cups of boiling water
6 fresh lemon verbena leaves
sugar to taste (1/2 - 1 cup) OR honey
2 cups cold water

Steep herbs and tea bags for 10 minutes in boiling water. Strain into pitcher; stir in sugar, then cold water. Serve over ice. (You can leave the herbs in the pitcher or add fresh ones for a stronger flavor.)

o

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 1:04

Rosebush, I would absolutely love to make yours---just need to find some lemon verbena (I do have lemon balm---do you think this might work?). Copied your recipe down for future reference-YUM! Thanks. Anyone else with some recipes?
Becky

o

This is not really a recipe but when DH makes iced tea I like to take a few sprigs of chocolate mint and stick them down in the tea jugs over night.

o

• Posted by becr zone 9 CA 19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 9, 06 at 19:33

Gurley, putting mint in tea sounds good, esp chocolate mint---yum! I will have to try peppermint or regular mint in my tea, as that is what I have growing. A squeeze of fresh orange in with the choc mint tea comes to mind.

Thanks for the great ideas folks! Keep 'em comin'.

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here