Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjmancini

what about the dogs

gjmancini
18 years ago

My question to all of you, when mixing edibles with ornamentals, how do you keep the dogs from urinating on them. I have most of my veggies behind a gate, but intermix flowers with herbs, and to be honest most of them have been peed on. Any thoughts on how to avoid this situation.

Comments (7)

• gjmancini
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hello

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Hello! Well, my dog pretty much stays out of the beds, which are edged with bottles. Its kind of hard to explain. And I wash everything!

• aypcarson
    18 years ago

My dog never goes into the beds. Don't know why.

• Nicki
    18 years ago

I don't have dogs... but my neighbor does, and she grows tomatoes. She keeps her dogs out of the beds with wire fencing.

This is a reach... but what about a low electric fence? Probably don't want the dog to pee on that, though... and chances are he would... ouch...

There's also cat and dog repellent products that some people use. But they have to be reapplied frequently.

Motion sensitive sprinklers might be a good option.

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

I have three *male* dogs who pee on anything standing.
    I bought retractable bamboo fences. I can stretch or move
    them where ever. I love them and so do my plants. Otherwise
    everything in pots off the ground.

This is a bad picture but you can see a little of the bamboo
    fence poking out right side by the house. It protects my
    apple tree.

• shellva
    18 years ago

My dogs are pretty good about staying out of my beds. Even the ones I just created a few days ago, once that mulch goes down they seem to know that means the area is off limits. This doesn't mean they never slip up though! If something really enticing comes near the fence, they can't help themselves so I just keep an eye on my dogs when they are in the yard and correct them if/when they stray into "no dog zones". As for the occassional pee, well, if you see your dog do it, make a startling noise, tell him no no and just rinse off the plant right away. But even if you don't, edibles should be washed before eaten whether or not they are grown organically:)

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Mine pees on everything. I don't like it but he's just a dog and I can't expect him to know the difference between a blade of grass and a squash plant.

When he is gone (he's 14) I am thinking that I may not get another dog. I don't like having him in the plants.

I have always had a dog though so I may change my mind if I can come up with a solution that I like.

Sponsored