Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisydee_gw

Posting a picture

daisydee
18 years ago

I wasted enough space on Nicki's picture thread so I wanted to open up my own to see if I can lick this picture posting thing. HOPEFULLY, you will see a picture of my potager wanna be from last summer. I'm making plans for this spring to add much more than just pumpkins, tomatoes and herbs to my garden.

I'm thinking about planting eggplant. Does anyone grow this in their potager? If so, do have any pictures?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (26)

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

That is stunning Daisy!

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Stunning indeed! looks like a secret garden.

Edna

• daisydee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I'm so excited that I was able to post a picture again. I guess my brain turned to mush over the winter.

I may have to try a few chives in hopes that they bloom as pretty as yours did. The more of that kind of thing that I can plant in my garden, the more my DH gets into the gardening thing with me.

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I love your garden, especially the fence and trellis.

I am sorry I can't help with the eggplant. I have never raised it or tasted it! Can you imagine. My sis raises it in Ia each year. I don't know why you couldn't raise it in your garden. It makes a very pretty plant.

gld

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

Wonderful picuture!! I love your garden! I grew eggplant from HD in a container last year and it produced some eggplants! This year I am going to try a different one from seed because I really didn't care for the taste of last years. So, I am looking at maybe Snowy, or Rosa Bianca? Not sure, but I know you can grow it. It likes heat!
    ~jenn

• daisydee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I really enjoy the work that goes into it.

I appreciate all of the info on growing eggplant. I guess I need to google for eggplant pictures because I have absolutely no idea how much space is needed for it. I've never seen one growing; in fact, it could be a tree for all I know about it.

• harper
    18 years ago

Daisy, most eggplants grow about 3-4 feet tall and are actually very pretty in the garden. They do like heat, in fact it's best to hold off on transplanting until daytime temps are in the 70s. If it's warm enough for basil, it's warm enough for eggplant.

Harper

• BecR
    18 years ago

Daisy, your pumpkin growing vine on the arch is amazing! Love your garden! I have never grown eggplant, but if it likes heat it should do well in both your garden and mine.

Becky

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Great job, Daisy! That is a lovely pumpkin vine and very clever use of space. No eggplant here anymore because no one really likes it. I agree, though, it is a very pretty plant.

As for posting pics, you may want to look into a photobucket account. You load your pics from your computer onto their site and then link from it. You can create different albums, so it's easy to keep your garden pics organized by areas, etc.

• michelle_zone4
    18 years ago

What a pretty garden! You should try eggplant. It is so easy to grow and beautiful fruit. My kids love it.

• georich5
    18 years ago

What a wonderful picture. Love the vine!!

We grow a few eggplant every year. Sometimes abundantly and most often not. We have no clue why except for crazy Ohio weather. We do grow from seed rather than plants.

Any more pics??? georgeanne

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Your garden is sooo very pretty!

I grew eggplant for the first time last year and it did quite well under the circumstances. In other words I totally neglected it. It had shade only from about 4pm til dark. The 'full sun' in my area is probably just as mean as the full sun in your area. Just about any plant needs a break from it.

This year I plan to actually pay a little more attention to it, as in mulch, keep free of weeds and feed it occasionally.

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Oooooh la la! Come on girl! Don't tease us with one picture... ;) We need more eye candy!

I love your garden. And it looks familiar to me. Did you ever post pictures on the cottage forum? I just love it! That is a pumpkin growing on your arbor, right? So cool...

• dayleann
    18 years ago

I'm going to sound like an echo-- I LOVE your garden! I love your fence, I love your arbor, I love the colors and textures. The photo is now in my folder called "Garden ideas and inspiration".

Eggplants are gorgeous plants. And they come in so many different cultivars, with fruit of all colors and sizes. They are expecially pretty with low-growing flowers around them. With your eye, I bet you'll have a beautiful presentation.

Dayle Ann

• daisydee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You all are giving me the big head. LOL. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm also ready to get out there and try some eggplant!

Yes, Nicki, I did post a picture of this arbor last summer. You probably remember this picture. I love the way the sun glints off of the rocks and vine in it.

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Holy smokes! That is sooooooooo beautiful! ! !
    That's how I imagine what heaven looks like.
    Edna

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am with Edna, that is heaven on earth, I wish I could see more! You did good! Really!
    ~jenn

• goatgirl
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pictures. They are fantastic. More inspiration for my potager this summer. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! Goatgirl

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Oh, I remember that lovely pic!!! So inspirational!!!

Can you tell us what the flowering tree is on the right? It looks like it has purple/rose colored flowers, yet in the first pic they look lighter, almost white.

Diana

• daisydee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Diana, the trees on the right are crape myrtles. I have a white one and a pink one side by side. I have about twelve scattered throughout our yard. They love Texas heat and require nothing from me to bloom like crazy.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.

• little_dani
    18 years ago

Great pictures, Daisy. Great garden!

You can grow eggplant very easily. They like a bit of fertilizer, and they like full sun. Even our Texas sun!

One thought on planting them tho. Don't plant a whole 6-pack of plants! Nobody needs that many eggplants! I grew a different one this year, that made small fruit, about 6 inches in length, and the fruit was pale green. It was so pretty! One plant kept us in eggplant until our last freeze. I could almost guarantee that you will get tired of cooking it and eating it before your plant quits bearing!

Janie

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Can you show us more pictures ;-) please *giggle*

Edna

• Nicki
    18 years ago

We're a greedy bunch... I'm with Edna... might we have more, please? :)

Yes, that's the picture I remember. It's a good thing my garden is nowhere that pretty, because I'd really not get any housework done at all...

• butterflygardener
    18 years ago

That is simply dreamy! I could get lost in that lovely place!
    Kat

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

That is just gorgeous! How do you keep the weeds out of your flagstone walk? I really want to know, as I was thinking about that, but got warned weeds would take over.

• daisydee
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gottagarden,

Since I stay outside alot, I stoop down as I stroll through and pull a weed here and there just about everyday. Because it has become habit, it never gets out of hand. Further up the path I have smaller rocks in between the flagstone to discourage weeds and I've grown moss rose and Irish moss in the areas that only have bare dirt. I'm going to plant more thyme and allysum this spring. I've been surprised at how easy it has been to keep the weeds in check. I have never regretted putting down the flagstone.

As for posting more pictures, I'm truly flattered. I hope to have some things up and growing in the next month or two and maybe they will be picture worthy.

Sponsored