Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goatgirl_gw

smokey fennel

goatgirl
18 years ago

Has anyone planted smokey fennel in their potager? This is the first year I am trying this type of gardening. I would love to see more pictures of everyones potagers. I have found it difficult to find resources for this type of garden on the web or in books.

Comments (18)

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I have. Whatever you do, don't let it set seed! It grows everywhere and it is really difficult to dig out!

• goatgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the return post. I was wondering if it might be an invasive plant. I've read it has a substantial tap root. Was it attractive at least?

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Welcome to the GW forum goatgirl.

I don't have it in my potager but I grow fennel in my butterfly garden. I love the fern like foliage and it smells good. It's going on it's second year and has stayed pretty compact but I've never allowed it to bloom or go to seed. I use it as a host plant for the swallowtail butterfly, they lay eggs on fennel. I've never heard of bronze or smokey fennel, you've got me interested now.

Edna

• hag49
    18 years ago

I have the bronze fennel in my garden/potager. It's in its 2nd yr and I've never had it reseed yet. The larvae seem to eat it down enough that it's not been a problem. It gets quite tall (5') then gets munched down, regrows, and the cycle continues. I used to grow reg.fennel but love the bronze so much better. beautiful foliage.
    hilary

• goatgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Edna: I don't know where you live but I'm in Ontario and purchased my seed through William Dam Seed Co. Maybe others have picked it up at regular retail shops?

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

It is very attractive! It smells wonderful, and I often just pick a leaf as I walk by to chew on.

No butterflies here. Sob.

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Goatgirl, I live in northern California. I'm definitely
    going to look for seeds. I'm creating two potagers, one for
    me and one for the butterflies.

Edna

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of this smokey fennel? Is it edible?

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I just did a Google. Evidently this is bronze fennel with the name 'Smokey'. It sounds like a plant I need too.

It is foeniculum vulgare, botanically speaking.

• goatgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone! Found an exemplary picture of bronze fennel at the attached website. Lets hope all our fennels look so great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bronze Fennel

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

I'm trying it for the first time this year from seeds I trade for here on the GW. I sure hope it looks as nice for me. I knew about reseeding, but I didn't know about the tap root, thanks for the info Wolfe.

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Well I'm sold! I found seeds today. What a beautiful herb.
    I love the color and it will add wonderful contrast to my potager. Secretly hoping to attract the Swallowtail.

Ed-

• garland
    18 years ago

I'd like to know if any of you eat the root and is it that difficult to dig? Judging from what the fennel root looks like in produce dept. it doesn't look like it would be that hard to dig. I wonder if one could start some by planting a fennel root from the produce department. It probably wouldn't be this particular variety, however.

• harper
    18 years ago

garland, I think you're referring to Florence fennel, the biennial version.

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: fennel

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Great link Harper. I like the fact they attract beneficial insects.

I sowed seeds yesterday ;-)

Edna

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

It seeds like crazy, cut it back before it seeds. (I know someone else said that, but it bears repeating.)

I thought it would be great in my kids garden, so soft and smells like licorice. They loved it until the flowers came, and then it was SWARMING with wasps. Just covered constantly for weeks on end, so bad that I couldn't go near it to cut it down. Not even 10 wasps, but 100 or more per plant. Since I foolishly planted it by the gate, my 4 year old son was stung by a wasp as he went by. Now he has a real fear of wasps :-(

In short, be careful where you plant it.

• goatgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone! Glad to hear about the wasps! I'll put it at the end of the garden. Edna please keep us posted to germination times, etc. Did you seed outdoors? I'm envious, were up to our armpits with snow here. Has anyone planted it in a row, or clumps? Cheers! Goatgirl

• Nicki
    18 years ago

I have "Bronze Leaf Fennel" that I got from my local herb nursery. I wonder if it's the same? It has lovely dark foliage, and I can't get enough of the way it looks in bloom. I wish mine would reseed. I've only found one seedling in the garden. Maybe I should watch what I wish for?!

Here's a photo of a butterfly on mine...
    {{gwi:1151382}}

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA