Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtoad_gw

photo of potager

mrtoad
18 years ago

i am new to this forum and do not know if i have the skill to post a photo - i will give it a go

wish me luck

mr toad

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1151484}}

Comments (26)

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

What a beauty!! I'll have to show DH. Maybe I can talk him into building me a minature version.

• harper
    18 years ago

That's lovely! And your photo quickly answers a question that's been on my mind recently. You don't really need a fence to create a beautiful potager.

Did you build the obelisks?

Harper

• mrtoad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes i built these - i saw some similar to these - took a photo and made these - i wish i had a climbing plant to plant in them each spring - i have tried morning glories but not had much luck - in addition - when finished the potager will be enclosed - to a degree

thanks for your kinds words
    mr toad

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

That is stunning! The obelisks are magnificent!
    I hope you won't use a plant that will cover them
    intirely, they are too pretty to be hidden.

What plants do you have in there? What materials
    did you use for the paths?

Edna

• harper
    18 years ago

mr toad, how about something light and airy like cypress vine for those obelisks?

What's your ultimate plan for the garden? Some sort of wall?

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: cypress vine

• newgrdenrmn
    18 years ago

Your potager garden is wonderful....I want to show my DH, but he will probably ban me from the computer. Everytime I am online I come up with more and more work for him!

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Oh that is beautiful!

• mrtoad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"tdww" maybe you are right - leave the obelisks alone - in the next few weeks i am going to stain them and the fennel green

plantings ??
    flowers - i have used blue ageratum with lemon marigolds, dusty miller and purple sage, lantana (beautiful but not good), periwinkle, begonias, the large blossom marigolds, ornamental millet,
    veggies - potatoes, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumbers, squash, okra, butter beans, snow peas, lettuce, gourds, turnips, radishes, beets, garlic and who knows what else

i am not a good gardener -

this year i am going to use ornamental peppers (chili willie) and the ornamental chard you guys talked about yesterday

• BecR
    18 years ago

Your potager is beautiful Mr Toad! My DH says to plant sweet peas (the non-veggie ones; plant the ones with pretty flowers that smell good) on your obelisks. We had fantastic robust lavender colored ones ourselves, and we collect seed from them every year for next fall sowing. Heavenly smelling and oh so pretty!

Becky

• carmiewest
    18 years ago

What a beautiful potager. I love it. You did a wonderful job with those obelisks. I am impressed.

Carmen

• aunthoney
    18 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I can't enlarge your pic enough to see the rows clearly between the planters. What did you use?

• aypcarson
    18 years ago

Stunning!!! Reminds me of mine. I love the symmetry and formality. Why don't you plant your peas and beans on the obelisks? You garden says you are a fine gardener!

• mrtoad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks to all for the kind remarks and nifty ideas

between the boxes are brick pavers from home depot -

one more thing - i do not understand the term "DH" - could someone please enlighten me

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

It stands for "Dear Husband", usually. Some people have other interpretations of the "D".

• mrtoad
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"wilfe"

is it reasonable then to assume that "DW" stands for "Dear Wife" - with an occasional other interpretation ??

mr toad

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

Isn't that just gorgeous! I think MrToad is both a good gardener and a great craftsman!

GGG

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

A lovely man named Bob showed me how to do it!

• BecR
    18 years ago

Wolfe, is that your garden? Very pretty! I love the brick steps and the blue bench. Do I see roses in the right foreground (I love roses)?

Becky

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Yep. Lots of roses. That purple flower to the lower left of the path is the rose Reine des Violettes, and that pink is one of the Austins.

Thanks! Its small, but its all I can handle.

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Mr Toad! Wow! That is inspirational...

And your name is great, too...

I sure hope you post lots more pictures!

• jessay3
    18 years ago

What beatiful pictures!

Saying that, now I know what potager gardening is and I'm definitely in the wrong place. Although I am in the process of creating a vegetable garden and have many flowering plants, my gardens will not look like this. Ever. Beautiful gardens, but I'm just a southern woman who like flowers and eating fresh veggies. I don't think I could create, or afford anything that magnificent.

I shall take my searches back in the vegetable forum.

Although I shall pop in from time to time so keep the pictures coming!

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Well, you are always welcome. I think that most of us interplant vegies with our flowers, side by side. And some of us also have exclusive vegie beds.

• Nicki
    18 years ago

Now, now Jessay! I'm a simple Southern woman, too... and I've already made too much of a mess of my garden to be able to get the look Mr. Toad has, but I still like calling it a potager, anyway. :) A girl can dream...

• gldno1
    18 years ago

See, now I thought we had this resolved.......potagers don't have to be in formally laid out beds with fountains in the center! They are gorgeous, but not absolutely required to qualify. I am living with the idea that anything that combines vegetables with flowers and fruit trees in a pleasing arrangement is a potager. That way I can qualify! If not, I must leave too and I don't want to!

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

Wolfe - beautiful garden! I especially love the blue bench
    tucked in the corner.

Edna

• soggy6_2006
    18 years ago

Wolfe,

It looks as though your potager is on a slope. Did you do anything special like terrace to keep the soil from eroding? Do you have other picyures that shows how steep the slope is?

By the way, BEAUTIFUL!!!

Janna

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville