Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Question on Topsoil

todancewithwolves
18 years ago

DH built me two raised beds. I went shopping for topsoil today. I asked for a yard and a half of good topsoil and compost that I would mix. The clerk said there was hummas (sp?) in the mix along with a bit of sand. I know nothing about topsoil but I really want to get started. I thought dirt was dirt. Afterwards I stopped at a local nursery and in conversation I mentioned I bought dirt from so-in-so. She said thier mix was not good and I should use her stuff. Did I make a mistake?

Edna

Comments (8)

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it. Of course she is going to tell you to buy her product - I always have doubts about people who slam someone elses product in order to make thiers look better.

There are a lot of different types of humus and that gets into the super-analytical type of discussion that they have over on the soil forum. But I'm betting that your soil will be just fine.

Personally I plant in anything that is free and cheap. Mix in kitchen compost, leaves and earthworms and it's good to go. The only thing that I do buy a lot of is mushroom compost. I use a whole bag for each shrub or tree in the planting hole or just mix in a bit for a general area.

Even mushroom compost is not as good as it used to be so I still think that 'feeding' the soil a lot of organic matter is a good idea. I just bought two bunnies for the main purpose of having a lot of bunny poo for my garden beds. I have all sand with some pockets of clay.

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I second Gurley. Humus is a good thing. It is just organic matter that has decayed past the compost stage. Anything you can add of this type will be good.

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Topsoil was delivered today. Ever seen a girl jumping up and down in the driveway in sweats and slippers at 8:00 in the morning? that was me. DH thinks I'm nuts getting excited over dirt. Had to explain, it's not just any dirt!

Now lays a big mound of dirt and compost in the driveway. Had to run my fingers through it, compost still warm and smoking in the cold temps, ah it was lovely.

• diggity_ma
    18 years ago

Really, there's no way to tell based on the information you were given as to whether the soil you purchased will be good or not. Visual observation, smell, etc. may be useful indicators, but they are by no means conclusive. The only ways to find out for sure are 1) have it tested, or 2) plant some things and see if they grow.

Now here's the good news - most purchased loam is fine for gardening, especially after the second year. Many first-year soils are still undergoing changes from being disturbed, but if you add organic matter and plants through the course of the year, then the soil will gradually improve as the soil ecosystem becomes firmly established.

-Diggity

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I once had an argument with the check out clerk, who asked me if I wanted composted cow manure with or without humus.

?????

Still makes no sense to me. I chose "with".

• girlgroupgirl
    18 years ago

I need topsoil for my 3 beds too. I'm not sure how much to order tho. I don't want any native soil in the beds, just topsoil so I can grow root veg!!
    The night the man delivered my horse poop I was also in PJ's jumping up and down with glee as my neighbours held their noses!

GGG

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    18 years ago

*ROTF* . . . . GGG a girl after my own heart!

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

Our friends and significant others should all be very happy. If they know us at all then they know we are so easy to please. A pile of dirt or mulch, a handy bucket or a flat of anything that has roots and we are tickled pink.

My fantasy would be to have 2 or 3 yards each of mushroom compost, pinebark mulch and topsoil sitting in my back yard for me to play in to my hearts content.

O.K so he offers me an emerald set in a ring of diamonds OR I could have 3 truck loads of manure. Well lets see... manure - jewelry... manure - jewelry

That's easy! I'll take the poop of course!

Sponsored