Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

What would you want in a potting bench?

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

DH is an out of work wood carver and we have fortunately come across a good amount of fine barn wood! We are looking to build/make some rustic potting benches.
We have a good amount of American rust to add to the decor, and have found several enamel bowls and small sinks to help them function!
What (as an avid gardener) would you want in a potting bench? Do you want running water? A place to hang plants waiting to be re-potted? A place to hang your pot/tools?
Nancy

Comments (14)

• Jennifer_Ruth
    10 years ago

Running water would be my absolute must-have, for three reasons. One, so many products for planting need to have water added (potting soil, peat moss, etc.). Two, water is the best way to settle the plants into their new pots. And three, I like to be able to rinse my hands off as I go along.

This is a great question. I'll be interested to see what other gardeners say.

Jennifer

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jennifer. I'm collecting responses from a few different boards, and we're now thinking of adding options for a certain cost.
    Some responses were....Power strip, running water, screen for compost, sink with sprayer and shelf with hooks for tools. Nancy

• riverfarm
    10 years ago

I have an ancient potting bench out in my garden, and next to it I put my old kitchen sink, built into a frame and next to a hose, so I can wash veggies outside, rinse off plant pots, and in general keep things clean. The potting bench itself has a shelf above the main surface so I can keep plant tags and other small objects handy. And I have a large cutting board which I keep over one half of the double sink so that it extends my working surface. Under both the sink and the potting bench is a single shelf which holds potting soil, fertilizer, watering cans and that sort of thing, to keep them off the ground. Here's a photo; the potting bench is to the left. Sorry about all the shadows!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

River, thanks! That's exactly what I need to see! Functional stuff we can incorporate into a beautiful bench! Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I got the prototype potting bench for an early Xmas gift!
    It has a sink with a place for a hose, an enamel bowl. It's about 3x7', HUGE!
    We have been looking for shelves to add to it. DH might have to build them! I'll add some hooks for tools. Nancy

• wyndyacre
    9 years ago

My outdoor potting bench is built from cedar legs that were once crosspeices on hydro poles, pressure treated wood planks, an antique porcelian sink and tile left over from a friends DIY project. There is no water running to it at this time. I either run the hose out or I use water stored in a 50g barrel just steps away inside the greenhouse.

• riverfarm
    9 years ago

That's stunning, wyndyacre! We just use a hose, too but ours isn't nearly as elegant!

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

I wish I had a potting bench . . . water or an old sink in it would be nice. Somewhere to hang the trowels, hand tools, gloves, scissors, and other little things. A few shelves, one up high, a couple down low. Up high: bug spray, string, soapy water spray bottle, etc. Down low would be for big shelves for pots. I'd love to keep the bags of dirt right next to it, maybe in a wooden box, that'd be nice. *dreamy sigh*

• riverfarm
    9 years ago

They're not hard to find, and this might be a good time of year to score a bargain, Queen-Gardener!

• wyndyacre
    9 years ago

Here's another shot of the outdoor potting bench at the back entrance to the greenhouse

• riverfarm
    9 years ago

Wow, it even matches your greenhouse!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I need to look for an old sink!

I am going to design one with my guy who has a mill so can make interesting boards, I would like to have a potting side that has hardware cloth and a shelf below for excess potting soil to cleanly fall in to a bin below. I would like a cover so when I do not need the screen I can have a solid surface. Might be some type if hinged cover to extend the space

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wyndacre- OOOOOOOH! I love it!
    For the sink, we were able to find hook ups for our sink-drain and a hose to- showerhead (for the sink) at our local hardware store (not the big box)
    Still working on the shelves to hold pots and hooks. Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, now that I have the potting bench with shelves (found them at Goodwill), I'm much more organized with my tools/gloves etc!

My hubby found and relocated so many trouls, weeders and other hand tools, it was a bit embarrassing! LOL Nancy

Sponsored