Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Thinking of a new herb garden!

nancyjane_gardener
11 years ago

My old one has been over run by weeds!
Most of my herbs are in large containers. I'm thinking of painting several cement pavers, leaving a few blank for the creeping thyme to do it's thing!
We're talking about a 4x12' area, with many 3x6 vege gardens nearby!
Thoughts? Nancy

Comments (10)

• girlgroupgirl
    11 years ago

Herbs are gorgeous. I love the idea of you using pavers, it makes it so much easier to step into that 4" space to harvest herbs. Creeping thyme is wonderful, I have it in all sorts of places. Perhaps if you find some herbs get a little "run over" by the thyme you could plant them in pots amongst the herb garden to add height and dimension? I'm thinking for eg. of chives here. Your climate is different than mine, but my chives growing in hot, full sun are a bit more delicate than the ones my Mom grows near Toronto. Eventually mine "peter out" unless they have some TLC for competition. Your herb garden is of a very nice size, perhaps you can throw in some edible flowers like calendula, edible chrysanthemum, dianthus or some pretty dwarf nasturtiums to help it fill in during it's first year. They are all so tasty too!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All of the herbs except the creeping Thyme are in large pots I do have nasturtiums up the wazoo! Also morning Glories have found their way in there.Probably not edible, but pretty!
    I have some chrysanthemum also.
    Actually, you made me think of the "edible plant" list that I got from a master gardener at the fair last year! Thanks!
    I think having a "paved" area will make things much tidier! I just let that area get out of control this winter! I can't keep up with the weeds! Nancy

• ali-b
    11 years ago

You're in zone 8 and can keep rosemary in the ground. So jealous! A border of lady lavender would be lovely. It blooms the first year from seed and isn't as finicky as other lavenders to start. Don't forget some sweet roses.

I am also planning on moving my herb bed and have been day dreaming over beautiful knot gardens lately.

• t-bird
    10 years ago

with a designated 4x12 area, how about a snaking flagstone path down the long way?

Where the pathway is more on the one side, plant a larger perrenial such as lovage near the far border?

Now that I'm imaging this, I may just lift the idea for an herb garden of my own!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did finally get it pretty much weeded, and now the nasturtiums have taken over! That's OK, though! I just have to rip them out when they get too aggressive and toss them over the fence for the neighbor's goat to eat, or toss them where I want them to grow next year. Nancy

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

t-bird, thanks. lovage was something I wanted to add. It's the one with the cuke-like taste, right?
    I didn't know it was a perrenial! I drowned the one I planted this year!(No drainage!) LOL
    I need to do some nasturtium pulling this week! It's taking over! Luckily it pulls easily! I might start collecting the seeds to sell.
    Nancy

• t-bird
    10 years ago

They can get to about 5' Nancy. Plant strategically!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do! Nancy

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

T-bird, I like your idea for the path! Sounds perfect for an herb garden :)

• t-bird
    10 years ago

oh nancy - just noticed in your post about the cuke taste - no that is salad burnet - another perrenial.

Lovage is in line with celery leaves/parsley - good for soup.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting