Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aixsponsa_gw

Temporary (one-time) garden

aixsponsa
12 years ago

Hey y'all,

I'm new to Gardenweb and this is my second year of gardening. My husband is an active duty soldier. We're currently renting a home and I have begun work on this year's garden, which is 23'x26'. I love the idea and looks of potager gardens, so I'm designing my own little potager this year. :)

However, my husband is going to drill sergeant school in June, and if that goes well, we will be moving in November to another Army post. So, I am having to plan my garden to be destroyed around that time. :(

Because of this, I am only going to grow annual flowers and vegetables, no perennials, because that would be a waste. I can't do permanent structures or materials since I'm going to mow it all down when we get ready to move.

My soil is very sandy. I did the soil in a jar of water, shake and let settle test, and the sand made up over 75% of the sample, with about 18% silt and 7% clay (Soil type is Rutledge fine sand). I am trying to improve the soil as best I can on a temporary basis.

I would appreciate any advice regarding my time sensitive situation with my potager garden! I would like to do pretty little brick paths and have a nice fence and everything, but I just can't, since we'll be moving to our next post soon. I refuse to not garden though!

Jenny in coastal Georgia

PS - It's been mid 80's all week and just getting hotter, so looks like I'm in for a sweltering summer...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES