Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning 1st potager, have some questions

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 10:10

First off, I am planning on putting in green beans- pole and bush,tomatoes and cucumbers.I am considering having my husband build a few obelisk for the pole beans.

1.Can you tell me the ideal width of the base (how far apart the 4 legs should be)

2. how do you plant the beans at the base? Do you plant one at each leg or what?

3. How much space is required for the tomatoes?

4. I assume peas grow on a pole, how do you space these?

I have Blue lake bush beans, white half runner pole, Mr Big peas, and a variety of tomatoes such as mortgage lifter,black plum, sungold cherry,cherokee purple, and black krim.Plus a variety of herbs. I have never grown veggies in raised beds before.
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning 1st potager, have some questions

Hi Tammy:
Green beans need very very tall obelisks so the bottom width needs to support a minimum of 6' tall of obelisk. Ideally you would want them 8' tall. I have 4' obelisks for shorter climbing peas, and they have a 2.5 square foot area (4 legs). Yes, I plant two seeds at each leg. Just in case one doesn't grow!
Tomatoes all take different sized places. Indeterminate tomatoes: some hybrids, Romas - they can take a medium sized "regular" tomato cage and do well. Mine are about 2' around. Indeterminate tomatoes take up much more room. I use the largest cage I can find (4' tall) and have to stake them also (they get so full of fruit they fall over). 3' in diameter up top. Below them they take up less space and I will grow small items around them - bush beans, arrugula, you can probably do lettuces all summer?

Some peas are pole,some peas are bush habit. The seed packet should tell you. All of your tomatoes are indeterminate and will grow large. Even cherries so BIG cages for them all.

The Mr. Big peas you are planning on growing only grow to 4' tall.

o
RE: Planning 1st potager, have some questions

Thanks a lot. That was loads of help. I never thought about planting under the tomatoes. I am hoping to get 4-- 4x8' raised beds built to plant these in.
Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here