Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Plants for The Potager: A Kitchen Garden in French Country Style

Annie
18 years ago

Here is a LINK to a wonderful website about the POTAGER.

It includes 3 lists of plants:

(1) PLANTS for EDGING & GARDEN PATHS:

# Chives (Allium schoenoprasum)

# Cosmos (Cosmos spp.)

# Dahlias, dwarf (Dahlia spp.)

# Geraniums, fragrant (Pelargonium spp.)

# Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys)

# Gladiolus (Gladiolus spp.)

# Hebe (shrubby veronicas), dwarf (Hebe spp.)

# Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)

# Irises, dwarf (Iris spp.)

# Lamb's ears (Stachys lanata)

# Lavender, dwarf (Lavandula spp.)

# Lettuce (Lactuca spp.)

# ETC, ETC, ETC. . .

(2) FILLER PLANTS:

# Alyssum, sweet (Lobularia maritima)

# Basil (Ocimum basilicum)

# Chervil (Anthriscus cereifolium)

# Beans, bush (Phaseolus vulgaris)

# Cress (Lepidium sativum)

# Mustard (Brassica spp.)

# Parsley, curly (Petroselinum crispum)

# ETC, ETC, ETC. . .

(3) SELF-SOWER PLANTS For The FRENCH KITCHEN GARDEN.

# Bellflowers, annual (Campanula spp.)

# Blanket flower (Gaillardia spp.)

# Chervil (Anthriscus cereifolium)

# Columbines (Aquilegia spp.)

# Coreopsis (Coreopsis spp.)

# Corn cockle (Agrostemma githago)

# Cosmos (Cosmos spp.)

# Hollyhocks (Alcea rosea)

# Honesty (Lunaria annua)

# Larkspur (Consolida ambigua)

# Lettuces (Lactuca spp.)

# Love-in-a-mist (Nigella damascena)

# Mallow (Lavatera spp.)

# Marigolds (Tagetes spp.)

# ETC ETC, ETC. . .

Just a Sampling of the plants listed.

Contains info about other types of Gardens, as well - just a marvelous site!

~ SweetAnnie4u

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potager: A Kitchen Garden in the French Country Style

Comments (5)

• newgrdenrmn
    18 years ago

Great site...I just bought another book by Louisa Jones, "Kitchen Gardens of France" the pictures are beautiful. Everytime I pick up the book I have to thumb through the pictures, so I haven't even got through the 1st chapter!

• georich5
    18 years ago

sweetannie,
    I checked that book out at the lib. Loved it!!!

georgeanne

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

SweetAnnie- I love your name. Thank you for the list of plants, I want them all. I peeked at your webpage..OMGosh your home and gardens are beautiful. That Mr. Magoo is a absolute doll.

Edna

• Annie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind remarks, people.

Glad you like my little cottage & gardens, Edna.
    Yes, Mr. Magoo was a one of a kind little Hammy, Hoggy Doggy. Sadly, he passed away in March 2003. He lived a long, happy 17 years, which was twice the normal expectancy for a dog of his size and weight. He was very heavy, being half Basset Hound and half Black Lab. The only dog I ever saw that could not swim - his body was too dense. He sunk like a freakin' rock! I had to put "floaties" on him so he could swim. He loved it. It was adorable. :)

He loved the snow and skateboarding with the kids.

Everyone loved Mr. Magoo and he loved them right back. He was a "Happy Little Hound Dog". I miss him very, very much. I built a memorial page to him if you want to go read more about him. It's linked to my son's memorial page, as Magoo was his dog. I'm glad you can see what a special pup he was.

I lost my Mikie, too, last summer. I cried for weeks. He never left my side and even protected me many times from snakes. Mike loved the snow too and like making snow angels. (teehee) They loved going for walks up on the meadow with me everyday. At night, Hammy slept on my bed, crowding me all night, hogging the whole bed, and Mike happily slept on a rug on the floor at my side. Mike had a natural radar for tornadoes. When he ran for the basement door you could bet that meant there was a tornado near. He was an 99% accurate meteroligist. I miss them both. My best buddies. They went with me everywhere in my little red pickup. Hammy stood with his front feet on my lap (crushing my legs) so that he could see out. Mike sat on the seat next to me like a kid. Big smiles on their faces. They both wore seat belts. (hehehe) They were very well behaved and friendly pups. Everyone loved my boys.

~ SweetAnnie4u

Here is a link that might be useful: My Little Hammy's Memorial Page

• angelcub
    18 years ago

Great list! That is the book I linked to when mr.toad posted about potager books. Lots of good info on there.

Annie, sorry about your pooch passings. : ( I know the empty feeling and longing for them all too well. Your "boys" sound so sweet. What a lovely way to remember them. I hope another furbaby comes into your life soon and brightens your days.

Hugs, Diana