Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

ornamentals in the Potager

girlgroupgirl
18 years ago

I've been thinking and thinking about what I am going to plant in my three raised beds. I have an idea about vegetables, because I have to plant things that handle heat, such as peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, yard long beans, malabar spinach. My mouth is watering now!!

The biggest stumper for me has been which pretties to plant, which will not get too large, which will can handle heat and humidity...

Medusa peppers are high on my list. They are so cute, not too big.

We grew "eyeball plants" at church this year. They are doing really well, and I thought those would be cute. Creeping zinnias are a must in my garden. So easy, inexpensive and you can't beat them for late flower. I'd probably add Solan marigolds in there too. Last year they flowered non-stop and were not very large. I think they would be a knockout with tomatoes.

Not sure what else...

GGG

Comments (8)

• aypcarson
    18 years ago

How about some nasturtiums (the vining type) to creep around and spill over your raised beds? Petunias? They don't get tall. I always include marigolds and zinnias too.

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Unfortunately, it is too hot here for nasturtiums and petunias to carry on most of the summer. I do grow one type, Barbara Bush and they are beautiful but take up quite a bit of space as they are bushier than other kinds. Scented too!

GGG

• harper
    18 years ago

Any of the creeping lantanas would work. What about some variety of rudbeckia? They all make excellent cut flowers.

Harper

• aypcarson
    18 years ago

Just thought of another favorite which won't over-winter here but maybe in your neck of the woods...verbena. Blooms all summer and also has that cascading quality that looks good to soften the raised beds.
    Adriene

• angelcub
    18 years ago

I'll second the verbena. It really looks nice cascading over the raised beds.

I grew some campanulas last year that were very cheery. They are coming back nicely and abundantly. I need to go out and move some of them to other beds. They only got about a foot or so tall.

{{gwi:1151892}}

Diana

Here is a link that might be useful: potager pics

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Harper, I have toto rudbeckias hopefully growing. They'd be nice, you are right. Verbena is a good idea. I'm trading for a few that are supposed to bloom all summer here.

Since my beds are only 3' wide, I need something that won't get too wide...I also grow Santa Barbara Daisy which would be pretty, have a dwarf spanish lavender on order...and this might be a great place for the little Kent oregano and other oreganoes of it's ilk. They lasted only 2 years in the more clay soil I have, but I'm ordering screened top soil tomorrow which should be more to their liking.

I can't wait. Right now my potager area looks silly. Three empty wooden boxes, two empty metal trellises and the ground is slowly being completely covered with weed material.... people must be wondering what on earth I'm doing. Like when I poured the little patio in nextdoor in the front yard. People thought I was putting down a base for a hot tub. Smack in the middle of my front yard!!

GGG

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

GGG - "Right now my potager area looks silly. Three empty wooden boxes" I can so relate to what your saying. Can you grow violets in your climate? There are editable varieties that would look so lovely in a potager. A bay tree perhaps?

Diana - Your gardens take my breath away. I can't believe how much work you've put into it, it looks like paradise. What is that ruffled light yellow flower?

Edna

• girlgroupgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I wish this computer would download photos more quickly!! I get so frustrated.
    VIolets do grow here, best in a more shady situation...my biggest problem is the weedy ones, so I haven't planted any others becuase I'm afraid I'll dig the nice ones thinking their the ones that drive me NUTS most of the year.
    Dirt for my empty boxes gets delivered on Friday AM!! They should be full of nice, yummy soil by lunch. I've got a few things to plant in them, and will of course have OODLES more ASAP.

GGG

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus