Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Try, try again!

lilion
17 years ago

Hello everyone. I posted last spring, with many plans for a little potager-type garden, none of which came to fruition. I am hoping THIS year to get this right and have a garden darnit! I have three little garden plans. One for my front step area, where I get direct sun and can build some deep planter boxes and two for my back yard, making use of an unsightly clothes line pole that is in the only area of full sun. What do you think?

Front-step Garden

I think I can get the cucumbers to trail down the side of the stoop - it's about 4 1/2 feet high.

Square backyard garden

This is the most likely to happen, as it's the simplist to build. But I suppose I have to start somewhere.

This is the one I'd really like, but the least likely.

Back yard Garden

I suppose this one is harder to make out. The idea is to put climbing beans up the pole in the center and plant flowers on the outside edge, then veggies in the middle of various descriptions.

I can dream!

Comments (7)

• jacci_z8b
    17 years ago

Alys, I love your plans! I wish I would have put that much thought into my garden before I started digging in. Right now I just have a big rectangle in the back yard, but hopefully it will evolve into something beautiful like you have planned. In fact I just learned about potager gardens from reading this forum a few nights ago. I had to wiki it to find out what exactly it was. Such a cool and pleasing way to plan a garden. I already have the neighbors peeking over my fence. Once I get something like that going, they will be climbing! Good luck and have fun digging (that's my favorite part)!

Jacci

• manzomecorvus
    17 years ago

If it makes u feel better Alys I decided to build an official vegetable garden in Feb 2001. Well, I finally got the last bed built this winter and filled last month! (yup - 6 years! I am probably the slowest garden builder in the world)

Take your time and build your garden up as you can and have fun doing it. one bed or two beds is still enough to put some great food on the table!

• boondoggle
    17 years ago

I do these kind of plans too, with Photoshop.

One question, though. In your square backyard garden, somebody is going to get shaded by beans, either the tomatoes or the zuchinnis and peppers. Maybe the beans should be to one side of the bed or to the other, to guarantee that all your heat loving plants are in full sun.

Sometimes it's troublesome to work our attractive design with the sun requirements of vegetables.

• lilion
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm. I was wondering about that. The area is in full zun. The pole is loose in the ground and can be turned. If I set it so that the wide part runs from North to South, and the zucchini/carrot side to the East and the tomatoes to the West, like so...

then the zucchini side would get sun all morning until about 1 p.m. and tomatoes would start getting sun about ll a.m. until dark. Would that be enough?

• lilion
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Actually, looking at it, if I turn the pole the other way, wouldn't the whole thing get sun all day? (Looking at my drawing, just pretend the sun is rising in the south and setting in the north! LOL)

• hywatha
    17 years ago

You may substitute a bush type bean for any pole varieties and still get a high quality crop.

• boondoggle
    17 years ago

I think turning the pole east-west is a good idea. If you wanted to plant bush beans instead, you could use the pole's arms to hang some pots. That could be charming.

BTW, I used to have two of those T-shaped laundry poles, but we had them dug up, because DH was always knocking his head on them, and he was afraid that one day he would poke his eye out. That was a big job.

Anyway, good luck with your garden.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath