Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Potager Entrance

remy_gw
18 years ago

Ok, I am just learning how to post pics. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks,lol. So the link below is to the gallery photo on the Test Forum. This photo is not the best quality. IVillage definitely won't be stealing it,lol. I need a better camera. My photographer sister-in-law said she would come take photos later in the year.

This is the entrance to the potager. I do have a few baby evergreen plants there, so hopefully in a few years it won't look as sad when there is no snow during winter. By June it really does look great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potager Entrance Late Winter

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If you have a comment or question, please post here and not on the link. I'll never notice it over there : )

• happyintexas
    18 years ago

That's a lovely entrance. Very nice.

I can understand wanting some evergreen things in the potager. Mine looks soooooo bare and bleak during the winter season. I'm planning to at least plop some rosemary there for green and incredible fragrance. The herb bed is on its way to being more fully planted so that helps as well.

Thanks for posting the photo.

Happy

• gldno1
    18 years ago

I like the entrance, especially, the arbor. Sounds like your potager is coming along nicely. Keep posting pictures for us.

Thanks for sharing.

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

I really like the arbor over your entrance. I want to do something for my entrances, but realistically nothing will happen this year. This year I'm working on my "floor plan", but trying to get ideas for entries for next year.

Do you plant anything over the arbor? Flower or veggies?

Thanks for posting.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    There are grapes growing over the arbor. I have a seedless Concord planted on one side and a seedless green on the other.
    Come late spring, I will be whacking them back a lot! It is neat when the grapes become noticeable later on and they hang from above as you walk through the arbor.
    The beds as you approach are full of flowers and shrubs. In the potager behind the fence to the left is blackberries, herbs, bulbs, and hollyhock. Then it runs down the north side of the neighbor's garage.
    There it is shady and damp, so I have a couple of hydrangeas, lobelia, horseradish, watercress,and primroses. Then after the garage ends it gets sunny and I have a big Hansa rugosa rose underplanted with bulbs and oregano.
    Along the far back from the rose there is a spirea prunifolia, garlic, iris, jerusalem artichoke, and at the end a rubrifolia/glauca rose.
    Inside the fence on the right side, there is a blueberry, hollyhock, tree peony, herbs, bulbs and a daylily.
    Running along the south side of my garage is Asparagus, garlic, and walking onions.
    There of course is a big empty square in the middle where my tomatoes and other veggies go.
    Oh, I'm thinking of removing the grass around that area where the stepping stones are and replacing it with
    pea gravel.

• mrsboomernc
    18 years ago

i love the way your potager is nestled between the buildings - it has a very natural courtyard look, like it really belongs there. the buildings on either side
    give you an instant "fence", too. that's a great entranceway, even in the winter :)

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

I love it and can not wait to see it when its growing again!
    jenn

• georich5
    18 years ago

Hi Remy,
    Sounds like you have the makings for a wonderful potager. We love to watch it grow with your pics.

georgeanne

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012