Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aypcarson

Started seeds today, how about you?

aypcarson
17 years ago

Hi all,

I started some seeds today (tomatoes, broccoli, swiss chard, spinach, onions, peppers) and it felt great to get my fingers dirty! Any of you starting your seedlings yet? I must confess that I am a little depressed because I am going to be leaving my beloved potager some time this summer. My husband has a new job (he is already there) and so we will move once school is over. Those of you that know my garden can probably feel my pain. But looking on the bright side, I am hopeful to recreate what I have...or come close.

Happy Gardening,SSG

Comments (9)

• alabamanicole
    17 years ago

I started last week for the very early spring crops, but most everything is coming up WAY faster than it's supposed to! My beans and the edible flowers sprouted in a day. Tomatoes are an inch high.

See, this is what happens when you get high quality fresh seed and store it properly instead of buying off the rack at the hardware store. I guess tomorrow morning's project before work is potting up the big stuff.

• boondoggle
    17 years ago

I've started some more lettuce in 6 packs, and they're about ready to transplant. We've been having some very warm weather here, and it has me worried that we're heading into big time draught. I had considered attempting a block of corn in my postage stamp-sized potager this summer, but I read that corn requires a lot of water, so I think I'll scale back my plans a little.

SSG, my condolensces on moving away from your potager this summer. I can kind of relate, because DH and I have a difficult career situation, and every garden choice has to be made with that uncertainty in mind. "Should I spend time, money, effort on an outcome that I won't be here to enjoy?" I hope your new garden offers you a chance to try something you couldn't do in your old one.

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

I started seed last week. My first time with a green house!
    I started a few tomatoes, cucumber, lots of green and yellow beans, peppers and eggplant as well as some tomatoes (determinates) for winter (in the greenhouse), several herbs.
    In the garden- mesclun mix of lettuce to replace the lettuce that is bolting, cilantro.....
    I'm hoping to double my garden this year! It kinda weighs on if this kid we hired....shows up! GRRRRRRR.
    Good luck with your's! NT

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

You've all been busy.

Southshore, that's a bummer. Surly you'll yield a good harvest before you move. I would probably dig up my whole garden and take it with me *lol*

I started garlic and white onion bulbs last month and planted beet seeds yesterday. The weather has turned 80 degrees so I don't know if they'll make it. Normally we're suppose to be cool until April, not this year.

What's up with this warm weather anyway? Seems as though we went from winter into summer. Another thing...where are the bee's? I haven't seen but two....very strange.

• manzomecorvus
    17 years ago

hi y'all,

just about finished getting my garden up - tomtatoes, eggplant, summer herbs are in and I will be planting the summer beans, squash and melon tommorow. Talk about weird weather - its very warm here but the rule of thumb according to the oldtimers in my area is we are not safe from a freeze until the full moon after the spring equinox.

While it seems warm, I am noticing all the native plants are still blooming on schedule like they should be. I am keeping covers close to everything just in case - the natives are usually smarter than us gardeners!

Yup, I haven't see many bees or for that matter, flying critters in general. The hard winter we had may have taken a toll on the polinators. This winter has also convinced me I really cannot win - the one winter where we don't get a hail storm or wind storm stomping through smashing things - and instead we get freezes into the teens that kills everything. I watched the thermometer drop 45 degrees one day! And now we are probably going into a drought - glad I picked an "easy" hobby....isn't that what they say in all the magazines?!?!

and southshore,big hugs from Texas - this is gotta be a really hard year for you! lets hope u get the best harvest ever this year!

• alabamanicole
    17 years ago

Yeah, I am giving it a few more weeks to be safe from frost to our frost-free April 15th date. We may get another cold snap yet. If I am forced to put any frost tender stuff outside (too big to keep in a pot anymore), I'll be watching the weather report like a hawk. It's been a little warm here, but mostly we've not have any rain this spring. My neighbor mowed his lawn last weekend, but there was nothing to lop off but the tops of wild garlic.

The wasps are out and hunting for homes and there are lots of honey bees about. I even saw a huge bumble bee and several butterflies and the flies came out a couple of days ago. So my pollinators look good.

• luvbocelli
    17 years ago

SOuthshoregardener, I would love to see a picture of your Potager Garden that you have to leave.

• manzomecorvus
    17 years ago

luvbocelli,

if you go to this thread, there is some great shots of south shore's potager. I only wish I could get my potager to look 1/2 this good!

Raised Beds:Click here

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

I started seeds on Sunday March 11th. They were in the cold frame all week, now we have sprouts!

GGG

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists