Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gurley157fs

Potager Picture Progress 3xfast

gurley157fs
18 years ago

Finally finished - Well not really. I did find a very short picket type enclosure I might put around it but that will have to wait. I think I have exhausted my garden budget for a while. Today I planted the beans, small sugar pumpkins, squash and zucchini. I have shasta daisy seedlings and some wildflower seedlings (don't know what they are) that I will put in tomorrow. There are some mints and oregano planted already but they are still too small to see in the photo. Trees are hardly noticable too but they are starting to put out new growth. Goldfish got thier first spring feeding today I also spotted my first toad visitor. Now to just sit back and watch it grow.

Comments (13)

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

So inspirational!! Look fabulous. What is the diameter???

Our snow melted, so yesterday I went out with the measuring tape and placed little orange flags everywhere, starting to get an idea what it will look like. Can't plant for at least 2 more months though :-( Just as well, it will take me that long to get soil amendments, do rototilling, outline beds with boards, etc.

I like seeing your circular potager.

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DH says the diameter is about 40'.

Just got back from Lowes with some marigolds to go in the ground with the tomatoe seedlings.

I would like to have at least one day off that I can get through without buying plants. Somehow I just don't think that is going to happen.

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Gurley, it looks great. I am looking forward to pictures when everything is up and growing. Don't forget to keep us updated.

• jennbenn
    18 years ago

I love your new potager! Can not wait to see it fill in. What kind of apples did you go with? I am looking for some too, but have limited space. Looks great!
    ~jenn

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

I can't stand it! For some reason I can't see the pictures. It only happens to certain people's photos. I think my computer thinks they are pop-ups, maybe?
    Gurley,I'm sure it looks great.

• campcreek
    18 years ago

Remy, try copying and pasting this into your browser's window: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/gurley157FS/garden/potager/31be0e06.jpg Hopefully that'll work for you. :)

OMG, Gurley! That's adorable!!! I can't wait to see pictures of plants growing in it this summer! Good job! :)

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Campcreek, you're a genius! It worked : )
    Gurley, that does look real nice. You have a great start there!

• georich5
    18 years ago

Jeanine--
    I'm so darn jealous!!! It's lookin' mighty fine. I can hardly wait to start mine.
    I might have a little problem... Septic and leach bed. As long as I stay off of it will I be ok to plant. DH has a THING about growing food items around there. I understand completely!!!!! However this comes from the guy who gets carts of manure every week from the "neigh"bors barn for the veggie patch.
    I wanted to put a bean trellis at the corners of the sunporch about 5 feet from the septic tank. Y/N???

georgeanne

• gurley157fs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have had septic tanks for the last 16 years. I have always planted things all around but not on top of them. Still need to get in there now and then. Have trees right next to the field with no problem.

HOWEVER I am sure there are lots of people who will say that you should absolutely not do that.

I still don't think that I would plant any food crops right around that area, only non-invasive ornamentals such as bulbs, annuals and such. They are not likely to send roots so deep down as to interfere with the function of the tank or field.

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

I've always thought some kind of grass garden maze would be cool on one of those septic mounds.

All sorts of different grasses as a garden...

• little_dani
    18 years ago

I love your potager, Gurley! I notice that you have a lot of trees back in the background. Are those yours?

You could use wattle fencing around the garden, and it would be 'free', except for your labor. Google wattle fence and see what you think. It is an old style fencing, and very much used in Europe. As a matter of fact, they sell it over there!

I have never seen it for sale here.

Janie

• todancewithwolves
    18 years ago

You did a fantastic job! My goodness you've been working
    your behind off.

Edna

• coastalsav
    16 years ago

Gurley, did you ever take any pictures your garden grown in? How about this year, any changes? Love to see them if you have them - I thought it was a very interesting layout.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor