Return to the Potager Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sacrificial Esthetics

Posted by earthlark 3b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:56

Just curious if you guys think I'm make life a lot more difficult for myself doing a 50'x50' garden design like this rather than simple rows running east/west. Garden is in a field next to next to another garden I have there. This garden will be primarily a vegetable garden as well.

Shading is the biggest issue, right? I always wonder how much of an issue it is, though. Any other problems? (I'm thinking of using this garden as the other half of a 7 or 8-part crop rotation, this garden obviously consisting of 4 rotation areas.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sacrificial Esthetics

Btw, black is soil and brown is where the paths are. I'd probably do corn and cucurbits in NW section, legumes in NE section, umbelliferae and allium in SE section, and possibly grains in SW section.

o

This is the wrong forum to ask "if you are just making it difficult for your self". Most of the people who post here are as interested in the aesthetics of the garden as they are in the production, if not more so. It definitely takes more time and thought to make beauty than to just grow crops.

It seems to me, If the garden isn't somewhere where you are going to be able to see it easily from your windows or yard area, or spend time relaxing in it as well as working then it might be more trouble than its worth.

o

Have you considered taking out some of the paths and making bigger blocks on the north side, with smaller beds on the south side? This will give you room for your bigger plants (like corn and tomatoes) but still give you plenty of sun for your herbs and other small, sun lovers.

Are you planning to have any perennials, such as asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, etc.? That might make a difference, too. NIce plan, hope you post pictures :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Potager Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here