Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Is my potager too small?

gwlolo
11 years ago

I have a 14ft X 14ft planned for a potager. It is in a sunny spot protected by wind and was the old kitchen garden. I was thinking to basically have one entry and a inner path around 2.5ft wide and a small square in the middle. Does this seem big enough or too small?

Comments (6)

• georgeneschreiner
    11 years ago

I think it is a good start and you will learn as you go. Gardening is such a great activity, providing both exercise and healthy food to eat.

I love going out at 5 pm to pick food for dinner. What could be fresher or more satisfying than the food from your own garden? I now plant both in my small garden and in some large pots on the south side of our home. Tomatoes, peppers and herbs really do well in the pots and free up the garden space for squash, beans, lettuce and cabbage.

• nancyjane_gardener
    11 years ago

I started with an 8x8 box! I now have 6 large and 2 small beds plus a 3x12 herb garden!
    14x14 sounds like a great start! Nancy

• mandolls
    11 years ago

I agree - my first year mine was about that size. It has mare than quadrupled in size since. I suggest that you design it with the idea of possible expansion in mind (if there is space available)

• Shelley Smith
    11 years ago

My potager is 12' by 16' feet, so we have exactly the same square footage, just slightly different shapes (I would rather have a square area but I'm working with what I have). I have 100 square feet of raised beds, which is actually quite a bit when you start planting and weeding and harvesting, etc.

My potager is in the corner of the back yard (very close to my back door - back yard is tiny!) The 6 foot wooden fence makes two of the walls of my potager, and the other two sides are fenced in with black coated chainlink fence. I had a tough time coming up with a potager design but finally settled on 2' beds all around the perimeter (leaving openings for the entrance at one end, and a bench at the opposite end). In the center is a 4' by 8' bed. There is a path all the way around, between the 2' perimeter bed and the large island bed in the center, which enables me to reach everything. I love the sitting area at the far end, where I can rest and enjoy my potager :)

I hope you come back and post pics and tell us more about your potager!

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will come back with some photos of my space and hope to get some design feedback.

• jannie
    11 years ago

Just a suggestion-consider dividing your plot into four equal sections, then do one or 2 vegetables in each. A plus-sign shaped path down the middle will give you good access for planting, weeding and picking. I am using the place where our round above-ground pool was located. I built a path down the middle using discarded sheets of plywood and linoleum. You need to work with what you have. Good luck and post photos!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus